Diablo® III

Where does the DIII story begin?

I've been cruising around doing some research for my contest entry and I can't seem to find where the story of DIII begins. I've heard that King Leoric is part of the Beta but hasn't he already been killed (well again) in DI?

Unfortunately I do not have the time to read all of the Sin War books before my entry is due and write something well. I've looked at the chronology and such, even looked into New Tristram (quite cool,) but I can't seem to get a good grasp the setting of my story!

Could someone out there please clarify where in the world we'll be starting in DIII?
Reply Quote
King Leoric is undead, so destroying his remains in DI doesn't mean he can't come back. He might even inhabit bones from others' remains, as most skeletons aren't made from a single person, and may include bones from non-human creatures.

I believe act I is in New Tristram, and it's 20 years after Diablo II.
Reply Quote
20 years have past since the events of LOD, making D3's story somewhere in the year of 1285.

In 1263 where the events of Diablo 1 begun to note. And yeah, Old Leoric back from the dead again but his spirit evidently returns (post-Meteor strike?) and possesses his former skeletal body. Here's the link to the official timeline: http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/timeline.xml

Anything else you need for your Diablo short story entry?
Reply Quote
Thanks you so much, Ashleigh and Eroldren!

Leoric coming back does make sense, I simply didn't know if there was something I was missing.

I aim to tell a third person omniscient story of a lumberjack (or Diablo equivalent) that lives around New Tristram. He's a guy that's come back to help build up the new town and is kind of a dolt. I'm aiming for a good balance of comedy and good story telling. I don't want to write about Wow and I don't want to write about nothing but dark warriors that live off of demonic livers and liquid rage -- I think that front will be well covered.
Reply Quote
Huh, that's actually a interesting take for a short story. (Ya' better add demons/undead as background NT material or the story's conflict!)

I'm sure you could hold off the timing of the story and whatnot and get onto writing your story then latter calculate in whatever your dates may be or whenever D3 Beta revealed if NT's foundation told.

Anyway, best of luck writing!
Reply Quote
There's a demon within the first three paragraphs :)

Reply Quote
The woods are alive!

JOOOOOOOIIIIIIN US!
Reply Quote
Sounds like a fun, somewhat different premise.

Reply Quote
It's posted in the Horadric Archives under "A Likely Story" :)

Edit: The story so far is posted, not done yet.
Edited by Sabiena on 9/5/2011 4:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
To answer your questions from my time in the beta: New Tristram was built soon after the events of LoD, when adventurers lured by the promise of treasure started delving into the monastery, and the merchants that followed to profit off them started setting down roots. King Leoric returned when the star crashed through the monastery, and its energies returned him to unlife along with the rest of the dead in the area.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]