Diablo® III

Beta invite or Phishing?

(Locked)

I don't mean to break any NDA - ( I haven't signed one yet) but I'm concerned that this email I got is a phishing scam and not authentic.

Greetings from Blizzard Entertainment!

We’re gearing up for the forthcoming launch of Diablo III and would like to extend you an invitation to participate in the beta test. If you are interested in participating, you need to have a Battle.net account, which you can create on our Battle.net website.

We will flag you for access to the Diablo III beta test when we begin admitting press. You do not need to go through the opt-in process.

To secure your place among the first of Sanctuary’s heroes,Please use the following template below to verify your account and information via email.

* Name:
* Battle.account name:
* Password:
* E-mail Address:

Thanks and see you all in the Burning Hells!

I'm hesitant to go emailing my username and password. That just doesn't seem authentic.
Then use your common sense and the search function, you already know the answer.

Phishing.
Thanks for being a douche.
- Diablo III
85 Blood Elf Paladin
ten
I got one of these today, I felt special to be included in the crap phishing.

But yes delete it.
I don't mean to come off as a douche, but there is a reason they have a search function.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/search?q=phishing&f=post&forum=3354739

It gets tiring seeing the same thread every day because people refuse to search for the answer themselves and expect everyone to answer their own individual thread.
Yeah, that is a phishing scam email. A sure-fire way to know is, if the email asks for a password it is a scam. No one asks for passwords to your account, except people trying to wrongfully obtain it. Also, that very same template email has been posted on these forums dozens of times.
People aren't being douches, you're too lazy to do a search and realize that several HUNDRED people have posted threads exactly like this. Its pretty obvious however that the same people that aren't smart enough to figure out this is phishing are the same people that can't utilize a forum search. Coincidence? I think not.....
85 Human Warrior
when blizzard says (and they have said it too many times to count) that they will never ask you for your password through email, or in game...they really do mean that.
Mr. Emerson:

This is your bank. Your account has been compromised and we took immediate action to deactivate it. To reactivate your account, please provide us with your account numbers, social security number, online banking user name and password, and your mother's maiden name. Once we have this information, access to your account will be restored.

Sincerely,

Gramin Tishmerake
EVP and Head of Bank Security

On a serious note, how do these people function in reality? I'm losing faith in man.
There have been at least 12 of the threads created in the last few days and not one OP in each could figure out if it was real or fake.

This email uses a bottom-of-the-barrel phishing technique hence it asks for all your sensitive data yet too many idiots fall for it.
Edited by Hypersonic on 9/8/2011 7:06 AM PDT
09/08/2011 06:59 AMPosted by Gramin
I'm losing faith in man.

I would too if i had any left.

On another note while you guy cant believe it, sadly people still fall for this scam and alot of other type of scam.Scam are devised to catch just about anybody at some point; wether getting your info, paying for some "extra return policy" when just about everything is already on guarantee from manufacturer etc
http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/friends-and-family-beta-invite-email

Diablo Incgamers has posted what the F&F beta invite email has looked like, yes, it looks just like this

If you dont get an email like this, its most likely a scam

An easier and safer way to check is to log onto your battle.net account for yourself to see if your account has been flagged for the Diablo 3 beta client.
Edited by Chaz on 9/9/2011 1:22 PM PDT
Looks legit to me. Give it a shot, what could it hurt. /s
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]