Diablo® III

Closed beta ponderment

As the F&F is surely losing steam, Blizzard has stated that if tester numbers begin to wain they will seek out "fresh meat". Do you think the activeness of the f&f players could determine closed beta start time?
Reply Quote
Probably not, but I'm going to guess the closed beta will start next week. I don't think they'd start it on a friday, just because they wouldn't be around on the weekend to support it. Unless they have some intern keep an eye on the servers for 'em.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
ten
What are you basing the F&F is loosing steam on?

Less streams? cause if so what if people just are not streaming? I bet blizz has plenty of people in the F&F who are still playing it. I don't think the F&F would be loosing steam just yet.
Reply Quote
I've read that if the current testers gradually stop playing, they'll invite more.

Have no idea where I heard that, so take it with a grain of salt.

What are you basing the F&F is loosing steam on?

Probably the fact that after you play the first act 5 times, human nature kicks in and people get bored, and want to spend their time doing something else. Obviously that won't apply to everyone, but it's perfectly understandable that some might slow down after playing the very short Beta a few times.
Edited by Skyfire on 9/8/2011 7:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 07:34 AMPosted by HughDePayens
Probably not, but I'm going to guess the closed beta will start next week. I don't think they'd start it on a friday, just because they wouldn't be around on the weekend to support it. Unless they have some intern keep an eye on the servers for 'em.

hehe you think game developers get weekends off. That's cute.

I agree that starting it on a Friday especially for a server stress test is a pretty bad idea. This is the D3 team though. They're probably still looking for a way to mess up runestones.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
I would suggest that support at Blizzard tends to have heavier personnel on night/weekend shifts than during the weekday... put bodies in place when the most bodies need em... if they didn't, then someone who runs customer service would need to be fired and hire me in their place :)
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Based off of watching a stream from character creation through the death of the Skeleton King I would be surprised if there aren't a large number of invite waves for public closed beta. It isn't entirely hard to finish whats available and it doesn't take very long either.

I expect most people will get "bored" with it and Blizzard will extend more invites. I can't imagine the game not being released by X-Mas this year...
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 07:38 AMPosted by Dave

I agree that starting it on a Friday especially for a server stress test is a pretty bad idea. This is the D3 team though. They're probably still looking for a way to mess up runestones.

I'm pretty sure there was something to do with a weekend issue during the SC2 Beta. I could be wrong though. And yeah, if they did start it on friday I'm pretty sure there would be some folks that wouldn't be getting that weekend off, but I'm pretty sure Blizzard lets their employees take weekends off in general. XD
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
ten
Other betas in blizzard past have started on Fridays and then lacked support over the weekend, seemd like they put them up to see what could go wrong to fix on monday.

Not saying they did/will do this, but damn would be cool if they did.
Reply Quote
It hasn't even been two days. Let them make sure the server is f'in stable first.

Also some people don't just play 10 hours a day and play through the entire thing 5+ times.
Edited by GeminiEclips on 9/8/2011 7:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Based off of watching a stream from character creation through the death of the Skeleton King I would be surprised if there aren't a large number of invite waves for public closed beta. It isn't entirely hard to finish whats available and it doesn't take very long either.

I expect most people will get "bored" with it and Blizzard will extend more invites. I can't imagine the game not being released by X-Mas this year...

I hope you are right dude. Cold reality is that there is still a lot of time left between now and release. Who knows how much time will be spent in beta. If its only a few weeks or something, F&F could last for another week. Just speculating.
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 07:41 AMPosted by HughDePayens

I'm pretty sure there was something to do with a weekend issue during the SC2 Beta. I could be wrong though. And yeah, if they did start it on friday I'm pretty sure there would be some folks that wouldn't be getting that weekend off, but I'm pretty sure Blizzard lets their employees take weekends off in general. XD

I doubt the programmer are allowed to even sleep considering how close the deadline is probably:) thats just how their work is.
Reply Quote
Two days seems like enough time to getfor the non hardcore players to get it out of their system and out it down. Id say that's half of who got a f&f invite. Just speculating but it sounds reasonable to me.
Reply Quote
Wow..

Getfor = for
Out it down = put it down

Silly phone!
Reply Quote
Half? Hahaha. Ha. Ha.

Regardless, Blizzard never even said that they would invite people after Friends and Family winds down. They will invite people whenever they want to start the regular beta, after which they may invite people as much as they want to.

But please, please try to refrain from these disillusions. It has been two days. I'm pretty sure it is still active. You're so impatient.
Reply Quote
I actually would think releasing it on a Friday would be an excellent way to stress test servers.
Reply Quote
Half? Hahaha. Ha. Ha.

Regardless, Blizzard never even said that they would invite people after Friends and Family winds down. They will invite people whenever they want to start the regular beta, after which they may invite people as much as they want to.

But please, please try to refrain from these disillusions. It has been two days. I'm pretty sure it is still active. You're so impatient.

Wow, way to take a simple discussion topic and turn yourself into a d*ck.

"Regardless", its pretty evident from youtube vids and such that a good portion of people in the f&f dont realize what they have in their hands, and its safe to assume that those who are actually capable of recording and or broadcasting represent a small % of all who actually got an invite. So yea, its reasonable to assume logins are down from
Reply Quote
initial release.
Reply Quote
Today some more people got F&F invite... so it seams they are actually still inviting new people to F&F... don't expect Closed beta until next week...

edit: my guess would be by the end of next week... with 7days of F&F beta as minimum... maybe fixing the severe character screen bug as additional requirement before inviting the masses.
Edited by Duke on 9/8/2011 8:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]