Diablo® III

Dual, Tri, Quad Boxing

85 Human Death Knight
I haven't seen any word on whether this activity will be allowed. I can see some potentially enormous profits being made if the RMAH pans out to be slightly profitable for the average player.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
i don't believe it is a problem ..but if it requires mods for it to work..when mods will be blocked then it still won't be an issue
Reply Quote
by Mod they probably include all 3rd party software so I don't think you will be allowed to do that.
Reply Quote
There hasn't been an official Blizzard stance on this yet, but from what I have read I don't think it will be a problem. Since it is allowed to be used in WoW I don't see why it wouldn't be in D3, unless they classify it as a mod.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
09/10/2011 04:48 PMPosted by Dispicable
Since it is allowed to be used in WoW I don't see why it wouldn't be in D3, unless they classify it as a mod.

Because wow and D3 loot mechanics are totally different, I see this being a problem
Reply Quote
09/10/2011 06:40 PMPosted by Shøøk
Since it is allowed to be used in WoW I don't see why it wouldn't be in D3, unless they classify it as a mod.

Because wow and D3 loot mechanics are totally different, I see this being a problem

Quad boxing for example wouldn't serve much of a purpose as it doesn't increase your chances of getting better items. The same loot drops no matter how many people are in your game. The only benefit is that you would get all the items that drop, but this is irrelevant because if it was you with another 3 people those same items would still drop and be put into the economy regardless.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
09/10/2011 07:31 PMPosted by Dispicable
Quad boxing for example wouldn't serve much of a purpose as it doesn't increase your chances of getting better items. The same loot drops no matter how many people are in your game. The only benefit is that you would get all the items that drop, but this is irrelevant because if it was you with another 3 people those same items would still drop and be put into the economy regardless.

In Diablo 3 each person gets their own loot. The loot they see is theirs and no one else's. Quad boxing would increase his loot by 4
Reply Quote
09/10/2011 07:41 PMPosted by Shøøk

In Diablo 3 each person gets their own loot. The loot they see is theirs and no one else's. Quad boxing would increase his loot by 4

Yes I know, but he also paid 4 times more for the game than everyone else did. These items would enter the economy anyways, even he was playing with 3 other people and not just himself. This wouldn't hurt the economy or the functionality of the game anymore then if 4 random people were farming items.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Yes I know, but he also paid 4 times more for the game than everyone else did. These items would enter the economy anyways, even he was playing with 3 other people and not just himself. This wouldn't hurt the economy or the functionality of the game anymore then if 4 random people were farming items.

Actually, that's 3 times more items that will be entering the economy from 1 player that would NOT otherwise be there. Your basic logic is extremely flawed.

Multi boxing should be allowed ONLY if it is not accompanied by any form of modification to help the user in this endeavor. If a player has enough skill to control 4 different characters with 4 different keyboards at once, more power to him. Anything short of this is cheating and shouldn't be tolerated, pure and simple.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage

Actually, that's 3 times more items that will be entering the economy from 1 player that would NOT otherwise be there. Your basic logic is extremely flawed.

Multi boxing should be allowed ONLY if it is not accompanied by any form of modification to help the user in this endeavor. If a player has enough skill to control 4 different characters with 4 different keyboards at once, more power to him. Anything short of this is cheating and shouldn't be tolerated, pure and simple.

Um, why shouldn't it be tolerated?
Thats like saying i shouldnt be able to split me t.v. screen and watch burn notice while playing call of duty, because it is cheating to be entertained the way i want to be entertained.
Reply Quote
I can't imagine they will take a hostile view of multiboxing. A more appropriate question is what sort of leeway will we see with it? Keystroke/mouse broadcasting? Hardware only?

Something else to consider is how condusive the control scheme is to controlling 4 characters at once. Multiboxing to date has largely been an instance of keyboard controls, with moderately limited mouse broadcasting. If D3 is mouse reliant and there is no other control scheme, people may have to write programs that help automate mouse positions or send clicks to predetermined areas. Follow and Assist are big crutches in multiboxing other games. If they don't exist in D3, that's even more development time as boxers try to figure this stuff out.

The largest issue is going to be time constraints though. It may well be that a multiboxer can't clear a dungeon as fast as a team, so rather than looking at 4 times the loot, maybe they only see 2 times if they're taking twice as long to clear content. Or maybe they'll do it faster, since organization goes a long way.

The nature of the OPs initial query though suggests that farming will be a good source of income. I disagree. Making good, consistant money in these types of games has always been about understanding the market place and finding some particular aspect about it that you can exploit for profit.
Reply Quote
09/10/2011 07:41 PMPosted by Shøøk

Has it been confirmed that 4 seperate rolls take place on the same loot tables as in single player? I can see loot operating more along the line of gold being split and items being randomly assigned to players so that an enemy may drop one item, which is then assigned randomly to a member. The way you describe is more along the lines of a single enemy may potentially drop 4 yellow items, 1 for each party member (unlikely, yet possible).

I don't know for certain what's been confirmed or not, but I recall reading an interview where part of the assumption of farming in a group was that the loot is split between members, but faster kill times make up for the split.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Has it been confirmed that 4 seperate rolls take place on the same loot tables as in single player? I can see loot operating more along the line of gold being split and items being randomly assigned to players so that an enemy may drop one item, which is then assigned randomly to a member.

At least right now, beta testers have shown that on their first kill of Leoric they are all getting 1-2 yellow items, whether they do it solo or in groups, which suggests the monsters' loot is unaffected by party size.

That makes sense, actually. If the total loot was getting split 4 ways, you would need to clear more than 4x as fast than you do solo in order for Blizz's statements about 'grouping=faster loot' to be true. Since the mobs scale up, it obviously is not taking less than a quarter of the time to clear in a full party vs. solo. This all suggests individual loot is independent of party, which means quad-boxing would indeed result in more loot than soloing, so long as the quadboxer does not take 4 times as long to clear. Even taking 3 times as long to clear/loot would still be adventitious.
Reply Quote
Obviously multi-boxing by using some sort of automated movement/click system is a violation. Currently, in a normal 4 man game, if you sit on your !@# for more than 5 seconds, the group is far beyond you to where you might not be getting drops anymore.
Trying to coordinate movement without using 3rd party tools seems unlikely. Ie, multi-boxing normal content without cheating would be a waste of time. The hope is that Blizzard will be better about detecting such 3rd party tools and doing something about the players using them.

What we've seen in the limited beta is that one player can easily solo Leoric while 3 other lvl 1's stand around and try not to get killed.

If that ability continues to persist throughout the rest of the content then multi-boxing would have a benefit at least in terms of semi-boss/boss kills. The presumption is that the further content will scale differently such that this wouldn't be possible.

Another issue of multi-boxing is what restrictions the battle.net 2.0 system will have.
In the battle.net 1.0 system you are limited to how many games your IP address can join within a certain time frame before you get a temp ban. Since temp bans, if they exist, will be harder to get around in D3, how much of a factor that becomes to those trying to multi-box is hard to say.
Edited by Spiffytastic on 9/18/2011 6:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Trying to coordinate movement without using 3rd party tools seems unlikely. Ie, multi-boxing normal content without cheating would be a waste of time. The hope is that Blizzard will be better about detecting such 3rd party tools and doing something about the players using them.

Might not be too difficult to coordinate movement. There is no player collision, so I could stack 3 minion based Witch Doctors on the near same position, use a hardware based broadcasting solution and just keep them in range while their minions do the work and my main is on a different mouse, or do 4 whirlwind barbarians or something.

I also could write a simple java program that sends mouse clicks to a designated position to essentially create WASD movement (probably a bit more complex) and move multiple characters that way. A lot of this type of functionality is also the type you see with Ease of Access type stuff for the disabled, so you start to get in to territory of cutting off players with non standard control schemes.
Reply Quote
I wasn't debating that it would be easy to cheat. Just that for the purpose of the discussion on multi-boxing, It shouldn't require cheating to be viable.
Reply Quote
Yes, but you're positioning yourself on some line where multiboxing apparently crosses some mythical line between "totally ok" and "cheating mofo". I've been multiboxing for 5 years now, and I use a hardware set up. There are a number of programs that do nothing more than emulate keyboard broadcasting. There are also a bunch that are WoW specific that do things like click the same spot for Blizzard type AoEs. The latter I'm more comfortable with saying that is pushing said line, but there isn't much difference between using a KVM switch and a key broadcaster, aside from one is hardware and the other is software.

The thing is, multiboxing is here to stay. Most of it is going to happen where you can't even see it, in private games where someone is farming. PvP, I can't imagine multiboxing offering that much of an advantage unless they are going to have an assist or interact with target functionality.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]