Diablo® III

Diablo Story

I played countless hours of Diablo 2, listened to the what the NPC's had to say and everything. However I was wanting to get a really good understanding of the entire story as a whole.

I figured the books would be the absolute best solution. However i was going to get input from you guys. Where should i start to get the story from start to finish?
Reply Quote
I replayed both games, D1 and D2. After that I read all of the books.

The books in timeline are:

The sin war series(3 books)
Demonsbane
The Black Road
Legacy of Blood
The Kingdom of Shadow
Moon of the Spider

You can read them in any order, personally I'd read them in the order above. If you choose another order to read them in make sure you read the sin war books in order and also The Kingdom of Shadow comes before Moon of the Spider. Both of these books follow a great character named Zayl along with a very interesting friend of his named Humbart Wessel.

I can't really say very much more without spoiling the books.

A general idea of what goes on in D1/D2

In D1 you are someone come back to the town that noone really remembers besides the innkeeper and there are dark things happening in the town of Tristram. Basically Diablo was buried in a Horadric Cathedral, but since the Horadrim didn't have any more demons to fight the group fell apart and most everyone forgot about them. King Leoric comes and makes the Cathedral that was over Diablo's Grave his new home. Diablo attempts to take over king Leoric's mind, but fails and only manages to drive him insane. In that time Diablo manages to corrupt and possess the King's son, Eldric(I think not entirely sure this is from memory) with the help of one of the King's servants (Cant remember his name, sorry). Some things happen, the King goes completely mad and declares war on westwhateveritsnameis and will be slaughtered. He orders all the people to their deaths by the Butcher (again from memory not sure). Finally you reach the final level of the dungeon and defeat the great Diablo, and you have been led to believe that you must insert his soulstone into your own forehead in order to completely contain Diablo. Eventually Diablo corrupts your hero, intended to be the Warrior(this changes in d3 lore). and he goes to the east always to the east (or is it west? I forget). On to Diablo 2

In Diablo 2 you play a new hero that finds himself gaining amazing powers etc... I forget a lot of the story from D2 even though I've played it a million times. Basically you're out to kill the dark wanderer and you follow him through all of the acts as he attempts to free his brother Baal, which he succeeds in doing. Baal was entombed in Tal-Rasha's body because his soulstone was cracked in a battle, and tal-rasha was forever entombed in a chamber beneath the deserts of Lut Gholein. Horazon has some story too. Then you find out those zakarum guys were actually corrupted by Mephisto even though they were meant to keep his soulstone secure and that he freed himself. They go to the Burning Hells and you defeat diablo. Now Baal comes back to avenge his brothers and you go off to mount arreat to destroy him but he already corrupted the worldstone so tyreal destroys it. Im getting lazy at this point but anyways the worldstone's been destroyed and hell isnt invading and noone knows why.

Also the rogue in d1 = the graveyard girl in D2 and the sorceror in D1 = The summoner in d2
Reply Quote
09/03/2011 10:21 PMPosted by Twisted
Eventually Diablo corrupts your hero, intended to be the Warrior(this changes in d3 lore).

Could you elaborate on this?
Reply Quote
It's not really changed, they just gave the Warrior an identity. He's King Leoric's long lost son and Prince Albrecht's (Diablo in D1) older brother.
Reply Quote
Basically they're saying the Warrior in Diablo 1 was actually King Leoric's son. It's actually stated, in the timeline on the D3 site at least, that Albrecht (thank you for reminding me of his name been too lazy to look it up) is the king's only son.

To me that pretty much says that the story in Diablo 1 never happened. Because of course if the Dark wanderer, Diablo, is the king's son and the king only has one son then the Warrior never killed Albrecht and shoved the soulstone into his forehead. The reason I view it that way is because Albrecht was originally possessed by Diablo anyways since King Leoric's will was too strong.

However, of course, Diablo lore is just that. Lore from a video game, don't expect complete concrete story. There will be holes.
Reply Quote
I don't think the story in Diablo 1 never happened they just gave the warrior a story and called him "long-lost" to get over the fact that once upon a time the king was said to have only one son. All they REALLY did was state that Diablo 1 ended with the warrior and not the Rogue or the Sorcerer, granted those two have been given permanent and very dead places in history since as the Blood raven Act 1 and the summoner Act 2. Giving the warrior a name and a place in history was just a nice way of not leaving him as the nameless idiot who tried to contain Diablo on his own and was overtaken, it makes him more endearing and fits nicely into the lore of things.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
I never actually knew that the Rogue and Wizard were part of the D2 Lore in their respective manners. Where exactly was this in the games and/or posted in the Lore?!

To be more clear, Where could i find this out if i wanted to witness myself in game or a timeline to see it?
Edited by Rokoshara on 9/5/2011 2:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/04/2011 01:25 PMPosted by Neinball
It's not really changed, they just gave the Warrior an identity. He's King Leoric's long lost son and Prince Albrecht's (Diablo in D1) older brother.

Basically they're saying the Warrior in Diablo 1 was actually King Leoric's son. It's actually stated, in the timeline on the D3 site at least, that Albrecht (thank you for reminding me of his name been too lazy to look it up) is the king's only son.

To me that pretty much says that the story in Diablo 1 never happened. Because of course if the Dark wanderer, Diablo, is the king's son and the king only has one son then the Warrior never killed Albrecht and shoved the soulstone into his forehead. The reason I view it that way is because Albrecht was originally possessed by Diablo anyways since King Leoric's will was too strong.

However, of course, Diablo lore is just that. Lore from a video game, don't expect complete concrete story. There will be holes.

That is actually pretty cool, even with the mild retconning. More than enough tragedy for one character, though.
Edited by Ashleigh on 9/5/2011 3:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote

You've obviously never played any sort of Warhammer game. As much as I enjoy blizzard games. Warhammer pretty much is the reason for Blizzards existence. As they have blatantly ripped off both of the major story lines. I do believe at one point Blizz asked permission to use Warhammers storyline, and Relic said no, but Blizz went on to do it anyway.

Disregarding all that, does anyone know when D3 is supposed to take place? Is it before D1?
Reply Quote
D3 is 20 years after D2

Blood Raven is Act 1 quest 2 = Rogue from D1 character

Summoner is Act 2 quest 5 i belive were ur inside of sanctum looking for information about correct Tal's Rashas's tomb. = Mage from D1 Character

D1 Warrior is Dark Wonderer in D2 and elder bastard son of King Loric (i like to think of him as bastard which would make sence why no one remmbers him and reason why he long lost... if no one but the mother knew that he is the son of the king).

So all characters u could be in Diablo 1 were fighting under Tristam towards Diablo... but Warrior was first one and fastest to get to him and kill him, whole Sorc/Rogue just were driven mad/changed but came back with sweet hot loot.

Leah is 1/3 Diablo 1/3 Adria(who a witch, but could be also Belial), and 1/3 Granddaughter of King Leoric (Skeleton King)

Which this leads to some nice plot twist... which i realy want juicy detail for...

cause saying Adria's died and Decard Cain just started take careing of her... sounds lil bit fishy...

also i have feeling Decard Cain will be either killed or dead by end of this game... that might lead to Leah's awakening.
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Paladin
Making the warrior Leoric's lost son is really cool. Too bad the encounter with the King is easy and boring. He could have been the Act 1 main boss or something.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
09/24/2011 08:31 AMPosted by Greyside
Making the warrior Leoric's lost son is really cool. Too bad the encounter with the King is easy and boring. He could have been the Act 1 main boss or something.

Well, he was pretty easy in Diablo 1 as well. I'm kind of disappointed they brought him back.
Reply Quote
=o In Inferno he be fun. plus u never know they might gain new or different skills as difficulty goes up.
Reply Quote
Where can I get the whole story in digital version, since i'm from Brazil and they dont trade these type of things here?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]