Diablo® III

Do the Weapons need to glow?

- Diablo III
85 Blood Elf Paladin
ten
watching the streams are driving me crazy.

I am trying to so hard to not think of warcarft 3 when i watch them but i cant

I dont know if its the 3d graphics that throw me off or just the blurriness.

this game is just too colourful for me.

its driving me mad.

Turn off your monitor, thats the real hardmode after all =D
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Yeah, i love the sound of weight when droppong on the ground of the axes of Daiblo1 and alike.
Glowing stuff could be fun but it doesnt need to be in every strong wepon just to make them look like awesome.
Besides, when all players are high level, it will be a mix of glowing effects on the screen and this is not so great....
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
watching the streams are driving me crazy.

I am trying to so hard to not think of warcarft 3 when i watch them but i cant

I dont know if its the 3d graphics that throw me off or just the blurriness.

this game is just too colourful for me.

its driving me mad.

Turn the saturation down on your monitor, lower the brightness settings and there you have your "gritty real dark" game that is oh so mature. I know...nobody understands. *pat pat*

Diablo 2 is still up and running if you want that. And I mean really...looks like warcraft 3? Dude, you are either blind or stupid... I'm guessing probably both.
Reply Quote
Honestly, i'm starting to get the same feeling about "glow."

It doesnt turn me off from the game at all, but a whole lot of stuff glows obtrusively.

For example, i hope theres an option to turn off the hyper distinct glow around:
-bodies that i didn't kill (purple)
-monsters im targeting (red)
-low health screen warning (red)

IMHO.
Reply Quote
perhaps if items enchants had glow levels to distinguish low level enchants from higher level ones. Perhaps lower lever ones glow faintly and or flicker, Higher level one burb/shine brighter with greater effects.

Diablo 3 is only in Beta. there are a lot of good suggestions and not all of em are goin to make release. perhaps once the client/servers are stable after release they can tune some things for fun and try out some others.
Edited by VienxInq on 9/8/2011 9:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I love the glow, looks great and adds a bit more of visual interest to the weapons.
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 09:23 AMPosted by Doubledutch
Childish? It's an online video game.

That does not make it childish. The average gamer age is way above the teens, its somewhere around 30?

Furthermore, now that real money is part of the game, it makes the game that much more serious.

THIS IS IMPORTANT, DAMNIT!
-Lore
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I dislike this feature.

Seems childish... At least limit them to 5-10% of all items.

Childish? It's an online video game.

Your name only makes this statement all the better <3
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
I must admit. If I have glowing/sparkling/fiery powerful weapon, and a non-glowing not-so-powerful weapon, I'll just go with the less powerful one.

I like to see the shape and details of things, not a ball of ligthntings on a stick.
But that's just me.

This. Glowing weapons are fine, as long as not every weapon glows. I really enjoy having a detailed cool looking weapon, but when every weapon glows every weapon starts to feel like a glowing club with all of the details overwritten by whatever colour the item happens to glow.
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 05:14 AMPosted by IIFOXII
i would rather they glow then a sword of fire damage just all be red... D2 had a horrible system for that "Lets just make it a solid color for what we think of when we see it does fire damage"

Yeah I agree here...

What was causing the glows? enchants? gems sockets???

Or did they just glow for the sake of it...

If they are glowing it should be for a reason

D2's weapons "glowed" by indeed either through gems, or just because it was rare/unique. D2 rare weapons just randomly generated a color despite whatever elemental damage it did. =P
Reply Quote
I agree. Not every weapon/enchant needs to have a glow effect, or it should at least be a bit more subtle, with varying degrees of glowing. There certainly shouldn't be this much glowing this early in the game, either. It gives the false impression that these weapons are really much stronger than they appear, and in the end the more powerful items/enchants will not really stand out.
Edited by teflon on 9/8/2011 9:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is one of the more silly things to complain about, so what if a weapon that does electrical damage is glowing with lightning around it?
Reply Quote
4 Orc Warrior
Pretty sure glowing weapons originated in LOTR........... ;)
Reply Quote
Really its the same as how diablo 2 worked.. Weapons gave a certain hue for elemental damage even in the early part of the game, in diablo 3 they just added a aura to it instead of just changing the hue. I kinda like it, plus a lot of other games are this way too, they have visual effects early on too. its not suppose to visualize power, its suppose to visualize the elemental properties
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 10:05 AMPosted by Jables
Really its the same as how diablo 2 worked.. Weapons gave a certain hue for elemental damage even in the early part of the game, in diablo 3 they just added a aura to it instead of just changing the hue. I kinda like it, plus a lot of other games are this way too, they have visual effects early on too. its not suppose to visualize power, its suppose to visualize the elemental properties

Yeah, that's very true now that I think about it. At most maybe just make things a little more subtle.
Edited by teflon on 9/8/2011 10:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 10:08 AMPosted by teflon

Yeah, that's true and I agree now that I think about it. At most maybe just make things a little more subtle.

Ya i agree, the glow should depend on how high the elemental properties are, like if you have 2-3 fire damage the glow would be a lot less then if you had 100-123 fire damage.
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 07:05 AMPosted by Deepa
You don't want your cool magically enchanted item to glow? It looks awesome! man people will complain about anything.
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 08:30 AMPosted by Elementai
I could go on, but its pointless

At least we agree on something.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]