Diablo® III

Leoric - The mad king of tristram

1 Gnome Warrior
Hey, I noticed that King Leoric has the title "The mad king of Tristram" beneath his healthbar. No offense or anything, but in my opinion "of Tristram" should be removed, a king is the head of a monarchy. The village Tristram could be a monarchy, but that is rather unlikely.. its a town.

Suggestion: wouldn't it be better to simply remove the "of Tristram" under his name?

Discuss! :)
Edited by Krazylee on 9/8/2011 7:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Lore, read it
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warrior
So there is a royal bloodline to the specific town of Tristram?
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 07:29 AMPosted by Deuce
Lore, read it

Lore, Retconned.
Reply Quote
Short Version: Leoric is king of the land. He has two sons (retconned) - one ends up kidnapped (by Lazarus - his advisor) and the king leads an army into the Tristram cathedral (as that is where his son was taken) to retrieve him. Deep into the bowels they go, 1 man makes it out (it is not Leoric). So his namesake, "The Mad King of Tristram" is a result of the "madness" that drives him into the cathedral where he and all his men perish, and "of Tristram" relates to the location of his demise.
Reply Quote
I agree. The title is awkward, however I don't think the intention of the title is to suggest that he was the King if Tristram, but The Mad King that happens to reside in Tristram at the moment. You know, to differentiate from all the other Mad Kings in Sanctuary.

-Gerahben
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 07:33 AMPosted by Krazylee
So there is a royal bloodline to the specific town of Tristram?

Don't need to have a royal bloodline to have a king.

There's no bloodline when you're the first king, either!
Reply Quote
King? But I didnt vote for him.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Someone can be called a "king" of a location without having to be either an actual king or the king of that location.

The "king" is referring to his actually title of being a king, the "Of Tristram" is referring to the location where he went mad.
Reply Quote
09/08/2011 08:16 AMPosted by Hellmonkey

Chuck Norris did...
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
09/08/2011 08:16 AMPosted by Hellmonkey

You don't vote for kings.

(monty python ftw)
Edited by Altoshaam on 9/8/2011 9:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Sigh lore noobs are new :/
Reply Quote
So, you've never heard anyone irl called "king of" something, even though it's not technically a monarchy?

Give me a break.

I never realized how whiny the Blizzard fanbase was.
Reply Quote

I never realized how whiny the Blizzard fanbase was.

Laughed until I cried, will read again.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]