Diablo® III

Mephisto, Diablo and Baal?

hur durrr
Reply Quote
I think the brothers will be back. Mephisto is too awesome to die.
Reply Quote
Blizzard will most likely make an Expansion and do what they did with Diablo II and make a fifth act where you would have to destroy Mephisto and Baal or possibly even make 6 acts where one is dedicated to destroying Mephisto and the other Baal, because if Diablo's Soulstone was destroyed like Mephisto's then surely it is possible for them to return
Reply Quote

Eh that's only because Diablo means Devil and that has a bigger impact on marketing your game then just calling the game Mephisto... also they probably didn't get this much into the lore of the game until D2 anyway.

Mephisto, Ba'al and Diablo all mean "devil" in different languages; Diablo just sounded the best. Also, I believe he was supposed to be the strongest of the brothers, physically at least, despite being the youngest.
Reply Quote

Eh that's only because Diablo means Devil and that has a bigger impact on marketing your game then just calling the game Mephisto... also they probably didn't get this much into the lore of the game until D2 anyway.

Mephisto, Ba'al and Diablo all mean "devil" in different languages; Diablo just sounded the best. Also, I believe he was supposed to be the strongest of the brothers, physically at least, despite being the youngest.

Looks like we have a Necromancer here.

In what language(s) do Baal and Mephisto mean "devil"? The names refer to specific "devils" (and have other meanings as well), but to the best of my knowledge none of them translate directly to devil.

I could very well be wrong, which is why I'm asking.
Reply Quote
10/06/2013 01:02 AMPosted by TDW1996
In what language(s) do Baal and Mephisto mean "devil"? The names refer to specific "devils" (and have other meanings as well), but to the best of my knowledge none of them translate directly to devil.
I don't think it's a question of language, rather a question of which faith you are using to define Devil.

In Chrisitianity, the name Mephistopheles nearly always refers to the Devil and Beelzebub is identified as the Devil.
Reply Quote
10/06/2013 01:55 AMPosted by Chris
I don't think it's a question of language

It's entirely a question of language, as the poster said "Mephisto, Ba'al and Diablo all mean "devil" in different languages"

EDIT: Deleted the section of the post having to do with Mephistopheles being a fictional, literary creation separate from Christian canon and Beelzebub actually being a god from another religion who was literally demonized by ignorant, slandering Christians, as neither of these have to do with the question "In what language(s) do Baal and Mephisto mean "devil"?
Edited by TDW1996#1743 on 10/6/2013 5:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Baal and Mephisto will be back (in some capacity) in the expansion:

http://media.diablofans.com/images/news/exp/m/port.jpg

3rd row, 5th from the left, Mephisto is on the right end of 3rd row
Reply Quote
Baal and Mephisto will be back (in some capacity) in the expansion:

http://media.diablofans.com/images/news/exp/m/port.jpg

3rd row, 5th from the left, Mephisto is on the right end of 3rd row

omg omg omg baal's coming back

*nerdgasm*
Reply Quote
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

So far, there is no indication that Mephisto or Baal (or even Diablo) actually show up in RoS. They do have at least one lore journal, which is what the portraits are for. The audio for the journal has been extracted from the RoS pre-patches and uploaded to Youtube. This audio does not spoil anything from RoS, rather, shows the Primes' reaction when they discovered the Worldstone missing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n-IpItfDMo
Reply Quote
I don't think it's a question of language

It's entirely a question of language, as the poster said "Mephisto, Ba'al and Diablo all mean "devil" in different languages"

EDIT: Deleted the section of the post having to do with Mephistopheles being a fictional, literary creation separate from Christian canon and Beelzebub actually being a god from another religion who was literally demonized by ignorant, slandering Christians, as neither of these have to do with the question "In what language(s) do Baal and Mephisto mean "devil"?

Diable in french means Lord of hell.
Commonly defined as the pure opposite of God (for christianity in this case).
Personally when I first heard the game name "Diablo" my first reaction was something like "is it about some evil ruler of hell or something?"
Edited by Cmagik#1328 on 11/6/2013 1:29 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]