Diablo® III

Spirit Generating Question.

I have a question regarding how Monks generates spirits.

We know that Barbarian generates fury by hitting the enemies or recieving damage. However, I believe that Barbarian doesn't generate any furies when they are just swinning their weapon and hitting nothing.

My question is, does the Monk work like that also? Can the monk actually generate spirits by just swinning their attacks without hitting their enemies?
Edited by yCH on 9/13/2011 1:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
You need to hit an opponent.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
You need to be swinging at a enemy not air or gem right for some spells to passively gain spirit but yeah mostly you should be landing those hits for more spirit not just missing.

EDIT: Spirit replenishes slowly. It is generated in two ways – by specific skills and attacks, and by the completion of combos. Monks who chain their attacks carefully can continue a near-endless barrage of Spirit-fueled strikes.

from website, you have to land them.
Edited by Tripwiré on 9/13/2011 2:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Monks also don't generate spirit for hitting destructible objects, unlike Barbarians, but fury drains over time (without that passive).

My question is whether Mantra of Retribution generates more spirit by reflecting attacks with the Golden rune, or by increasing your attack speed with the Indigo rune + a spirit generator. I guess it would depend on what you're doing, but it seems like the IAS would be priceless.

For reference, I'm talking about this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#V!!b
vs this:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#V!!Y
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
1-8 spirit when you take a hit depends on if you are a dodge build or heal build,

+40 IAS is very sweet indeed but most moves are instant really putting it down to using a staff with IAS or gloves with + damage modifier from conviction i would assume no?
Reply Quote
I don't think moves are instant like in WoW... If D3 is like D2, then any ability is going to take a certain number of frames to complete, and IAS will decrease that number. Otherwise it's pretty worthless as a stat. There is no GCD, so I assume it works like D2.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Against all odds will be more effective in situations with more mobs.

When you have say, a single boss, that boss will only be hitting one person and possibly not you.

Transgression however will not only increase your damage and spirit generation, but will also benefit all nearby allies.
This will benefit single target and aoe situations for yourself and others.

Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
fist weapons wont need a 40% ias they are very fast on there own a staff would benefit from it alot more. the 1-8 is better if you are not a super tank is what im saying

Ias is never worthless just better with slower weps the fast hits can benefit from a stronger attack then just being faster.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Well I was just saying basically, if you are not getting hit, the rune, Against All Odds, is literally doing nothing.
Reply Quote
Is that a Dead Thread I smell?
Reply Quote
I don't always approve necro'ing threads, but when I do I prefer Dos Fitzquis.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]