Diablo® III

Armor calculations.

Will D3 have the same lame armor calculation as D2 had? Where armor effects chance to hit rather than work as armor? I think the most realistic way is the way it is done in Titan Quest.

Torso high chance to be hit, others remaining chance. Armor absorbs most damage up to armor rating of item hit (amount increasing with abilities). Offensive Ability and Defensive Ability effect chance to hit or avoid being hit (there is also dodge abilities). Shields didn't add armor, but had an X% chance to block Y damage. There were some abilities and effects that added to armor regardless of where you was hit, which is understandable, D3 example would be Wizards armor skills.

Flat armor rating is kind of fake like, you either take full damage, or no damage at all. You can wear an impenetrable pair of boots with 39203902 armor, and a tanktop, and never get hit. Having high armor magically makes you dodge all attacks. Someone could bash you with a bulldozer, and your armor magically makes them miss, even though it would crush through any amount of armor, doing at least some damage, but you can get hit with a pea-shooter wearing full Mithril armor just because attacking mob has higher level or is skilled with pea-shooters.
Edited by Xeridea on 9/13/2011 7:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Coming Soon. <sigh>

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/
Reply Quote
It looks like its a % damage reduction rather than a chance to dodge. At the beginning of this video the barbarian opens up his character screen and it shows that his defense gives him about a 38% damage reduction. It says all damage reduced but I'm assuming its only physical damage because aren't resistances supposed to be for magic damage reduction?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSij8obEFSA
Reply Quote
Pancaf's got it right. You'll have avoidance stats in this game, like dodge and block, but armor will not contribute to them with chance to miss. It'll just be a % damage reduction.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
From what I understand:

Defense mitigates ALL forms of damage (Player, Ranged, Spell, Physical, Melee, Everything) much like resilience in WoW PvP(sorry).

Dodge looks like it's only going to affect physical melee strikes (correct me if I'm wrong because I hope this isn't the case for the monk's sake)

Armor mitigates physical Damage via percentage reduction

Resistance mitigates spell damage
Edited by Lafu on 9/13/2011 8:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
24 Blood Elf Paladin
I hope that it works like Lafu stated. I was always upset in D2 where armor was merely a dodge chance.

I prefer armor to reduce damage taken, even if it means getting hit more often (but for lesser amounts of damage).

Suppose I felt that way for Baldur's Gate (and various D&D rules) where most times it was an all-or-nothing scenario: you either take a ton of damage, or no damage. No thanks
Reply Quote
It looks like its a % damage reduction rather than a chance to dodge. At the beginning of this video the barbarian opens up his character screen and it shows that his defense gives him about a 38% damage reduction. It says all damage reduced but I'm assuming its only physical damage because aren't resistances supposed to be for magic damage reduction?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSij8obEFSA

Defense does not equal Armor.

From what I understand:

Defense mitigates ALL forms of damage (Player, Ranged, Spell, Physical, Melee, Everything) much like resilience in WoW PvP(sorry).

Dodge looks like it's only going to affect physical melee strikes (correct me if I'm wrong because I hope this isn't the case for the monk's sake)

Give proof please.
Reply Quote
In the beta right now:

Defense = Universal percentage damage reduction regardless of type

Armor = Percent physical damage reduction based on level (i.e. your armor of 300 vs monsters equal to your current level reduces damage by X)
Reply Quote
Yes, armor value is shown next to the spell resistances, you could think it as physical resistance. Reduces physical damage, stacks with defense which reduces all damage.
Reply Quote
This thread is somewhat old and necro'd, but I'll still post this here.

From what I understand:

To my understanding, yes, this is how it works. Unsure about whether or not you can dodge physical projectiles.

As far as the calculations, it appears as though they are done sequentially and are multiplicative. I speculate that damage is first checked if it is Dodged/Blocked; then, if not avoided, reduced by Defense; then the remainder is reduced by your Armor/Resistance; then the last of that is affected by - damage taken/absorption abilities. I will quote an old post of mine with some beta testing figures.

Let me preface this by saying that as with many measurements, using small numbers is generally not good due to rounding errors, but it's all I have at the moment.

I let a Skeleton beat on my level 10 Wizard for about 50 hits (small sample, yes, standing around is unexciting) and recorded the damage I took with a variety of gear. Defense, resistance, and armor all say "Reduces Z-type damage from level [your level] enemies by X-percent", so I assume that an enemy below your level suffers more severe damage penalties than those at or above your level. Skeletons are definitely below level 10, so these numbers will seem somewhat off at face value.

Gear set - Damage mitigation - Average damage (% reduction)
Set A [naked/base]- 22 def, 0 armor, 0% reduction - 8.86
Set B - 37 def, 0 armor, 26.83% reduction to 10's - 5.21 (41.24%)
Set C - 22 def, 55 armor, 9.91% reduction to 10's - 7.43 (16.13%)
Set D - 37 def, 55 armor, both 26.83% and 9.91% reduction to 10's - 4.53 (48.84%)

I have no other measurable damage absorption or damage reduction. But based on this, I think it's pretty safe to say that damage is first reduced by Defense by its appropriate percentage, then the remaining damage is reduced by Armor or Resistance by its appropriate percentage. I would speculate that other abilities or items that "reduce damage taken" would follow these two mitigations, leaving you with whatever is leftover as actual damage taken, which could then be absorbed by Diamond Skin and so on. I believe this is a similar mechanic to most other games I have played and is fairly intuitive.
Edited by Volt on 10/7/2011 2:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/07/2011 01:29 PMPosted by JuLiuS
Give proof please.

Try searching.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]