Diablo® III

Souls?

87 Undead Warlock
I'm not sure on the lore's position on this, BUT....what happens to the "souls" of mortals when they die? Do they go anywhere? Do they go into oblivion or what?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
I read all the lore books and as can remember, it was not mentioned something in this...
However, there are soulstones...
And also theres that void or black abyss that is where lilith has gone after being banished by Inarius. But theres no mention about mortal souls as i could remember.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Its kinda fail this part of lore...
Cause demons dont have souls, they are demons!
However there are soulstones for them....
Reply Quote
There are implications as to the final fate of human souls after death in the Sin War trilogy, but they aren't explained.

So, they go somewhere, apparently, but if you want to find out where, there's really no existing source that will tell you.
Reply Quote
Well if you want direct source regarding the egimatic fate of human souls... (Spoiler Alert) Scales of the Serpent, page 172:
Uldyssian's brother seized upon the other's words. "Are you saying that there is something more, something greater?" He recalled something that he had wondered about earlier. "The spirits of the firstborn; they have not moved on, but where do all others go? Where do the souls of my people go?"

To their rightful place . . . to beyond the reach of both the High Heavens and the Burning Hells and this universe of tragedy they have wrought . . .
Edited by Eroldren on 9/14/2011 4:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Nice Quote Bro!!!!
I havent remembered this....
So, its similar to the real world, the souls go to an unknown place after all.
I think this answers the question of the topic.
Reply Quote
I liked the idea of souls staying in Sanctuary. It woud of kept the world sealed off from everything else as is supported in lore, them going to something beyond the reaches of Heaven and Hell just seems odd. Heaven and Hell are made out to be the 'poles' of existence with all the other worlds/realms/universes/whatever sandwiched in between. Everything outside of these realms of existence was the Abyss, which was nothingness. It fit together and it worked. Souls going somewhere outside of this multiverse just seems counter-intuitive, as if there is something else much larger out there that not even Heaven and Hell are aware of.
Reply Quote
87 Undead Warlock
09/15/2011 12:06 PMPosted by Shingan
double yuck

Whats so yucky about it?

I liked the idea of souls staying in Sanctuary. It woud of kept the world sealed off from everything else as is supported in lore, them going to something beyond the reaches of Heaven and Hell just seems odd. Heaven and Hell are made out to be the 'poles' of existence with all the other worlds/realms/universes/whatever sandwiched in between. Everything outside of these realms of existence was the Abyss, which was nothingness. It fit together and it worked. Souls going somewhere outside of this multiverse just seems counter-intuitive, as if there is something else much larger out there that not even Heaven and Hell are aware of.

Well....where did "heaven" and "hell" come from anyway? Is there a "god" somewhere in the Diablo universe?
Reply Quote
There is no "God" of the Diablo universe. Only powerful entities who like to play God.

It's also important to note that while Trag'Oul is such a powerful being he has limitations just like any other. And there are others like him that are hinted at within the lore of the book.

Many of these specifics aren't really explained within the Canon of the book but to me it adds a certain element to it. I would be rather bored with it if everything was cut and dry explained and simple.

Scales of the Serpent pg. 168:

They are the memories of angels and demons, came Trag'Oul's voice. Their deaths so terrible that their shadows are forever burned into this place . . .
Not real spirits. Mendeln wondered if either group had what he would have called a soul, but suspected not. Perhaps that was another reason they both coveted and distrusted humans . . .
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Its not mentioned, though Mendeln is capable of traversing those realms ans communicate with this "other world". Its the world of the "undead" or something.
Reply Quote
Well actually there are creatures in the books that are neither of heaven, hell, or sanctuary. But that was in the Legacy of Blood.
Reply Quote
87 Undead Warlock
09/16/2011 06:54 PMPosted by Auspicious
Well actually there are creatures in the books that are neither of heaven, hell, or sanctuary. But that was in the Legacy of Blood.

What kind of creatures were those?
Reply Quote
Well if you want direct source regarding the egimatic fate of human souls... (Spoiler Alert) Scales of the Serpent, page 172:
Uldyssian's brother seized upon the other's words. "Are you saying that there is something more, something greater?" He recalled something that he had wondered about earlier. "The spirits of the firstborn; they have not moved on, but where do all others go? Where do the souls of my people go?"

To their rightful place . . . to beyond the reach of both the High Heavens and the Burning Hells and this universe of tragedy they have wrought . . .

Yeah, that's the specific passage I meant. It's kind of vaguely mcvaguerson about where people go, other than "Somewhere else."

It seems a lot of souls get trapped in Sanctuary as varieties of ghosts/spirits as well. And what's up with the lost souls in the Burning Hells?
Reply Quote
09/16/2011 09:21 PMPosted by Garamsythe
What kind of creatures were those?

The Legacy of Blood: Pg 112:
"The dream one has taken his prize," Xazax remarked. "This Captain Tolos will suffer a terrible afterdeath . . ."
"Never mind him! we have to get the Dreamer back--"
Here the mantis vehemently twisted his head back and forth, the closest he could come to shaking it. "This one will not defy a Dreamer in his own domain. Their realm is beyond even that of Hell or Heaven. Here we may command them, but, break the link, and they may take what is theirs." The demon leaned forward. "Do you think your general might part with another soul?"

Pg 109, description of the creature:
A thing the color of mold and fleshed almost like a toad formed above the body of captain Tolos. It struggled, twisted, tried to cry out with a mouth not completely formed.
Let . . . me . . . resssst! it demanded.
Deformed beyond even the manner of demons, the grotesque creature sought to swipe first at Galeona, then Xazax. However, the wards that she had set into place cause a blue spark whenever the monstrosity reached out, a spark which clearly hurt the thing much. In frustration, it finally pulled within itself, wrapping spindly taloned limbs about it as if trying to fold itself up enough to utterly disappear.
"You are ours to command," she told the imprisoned creature.
I . . . must . . . rest!
"You cannot rest until you complete the task we've set for you!"
Nightmarish eyes that dangled loose yet also seemed in some ways human peered at her in open malevolence.
Very well . . . for a time, anyway. What would . . . you have . . . of me?
"No magic binds your eyes, no barriers block your vision. See for us what we seek and tell us where it is."
The horror above Tolo's cooling body quivered, rumbled. Both Xazax and Galeona bent back at first--until both realized that the thing only laughed at their demand.
That . . . is all? For this . . . I am tortured . . . forced to wake and even . . . forced to remember?
Recovering, the witch nodded. "Do it and we'll return you to your sleep."
The eyes swung toward the demon. Show . . . me what . . . you seek.
Edited by Auspicious on 9/17/2011 1:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Undead Warlock
Very Lovecraftian....sounds like they ran into Tsathoggua the Sleeper of N'kai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsathoggua

Sleepy toad thing of doom not to be awakened. I think its an homage.
Edited by Garamsythe on 9/17/2011 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]