Diablo® III

Souls?

To some degree unimportant though since really only the Sin Wars is accepted as Canon from my understanding. But I do like random tidbits :-D.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
09/17/2011 01:44 PMPosted by Garamsythe
Very Lovecraftian...

I was thinking the same thing. I just recently started reading his work, and I realize how much his myth has affected, even become the center of modern fantasy. The entirety of The Elder Scrolls is rooted in Lovecraft's lore. Sounds like Diablo is much the same.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
09/17/2011 02:04 PMPosted by Auspicious
To some degree unimportant though since really only the Sin Wars is accepted as Canon from my understanding. But I do like random tidbits :-D.

Did Blizzard sanction the writing of the other novels? And who considers the other books not canon? I've been reading through this forum a ton today, and I see this a lot. Not that I'm bashing on you at all (in fact, I quote you more for proof of the source of my question), I'm just wondering where this idea came from that Blizzard would produce stories that explain the world of Diablo but aren't the actuality of the world.

My personal opinion is that there is just more out there that we don't know about the story. It was said best in regard to how Stephen King writes his stories - if you explain what's going on, the mystery and intrigue is gone. Assuming this, you can't just rule out lore because things don't mesh together very well. I was reading the "Cosmology" threads on the Diablo fan site and saw in words exactly what I'm talking about. Too many people pick apart what they read - even misinterpret it blatantly - and develop what they see to be plot holes based on their own desire to understand more. (edit) And I half wonder if this is where many people get their clashing information from (others' speculation). While it's a great source of the general world of Diablo and the things going on, the Cosmology thread is little more than someone speculating to the extreme, and I guarantee many people miss the part in the beginning where the writer says that the purpose of Cosmology is both for information and speculation.

Back to the initial question, if you or anyone know why any one of the stories would be omitted from canon tell us why. I prefer to think that Blizzard just hasn't finished the story.
Edited by Kyrtis on 9/18/2011 1:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Undead Warlock
09/18/2011 01:16 PMPosted by Kyrtis
I was thinking the same thing. I just recently started reading his work, and I realize how much his myth has affected, even become the center of modern fantasy. The entirety of The Elder Scrolls is rooted in Lovecraft's lore. Sounds like Diablo is much the same.

Yeah, most of it is in the public domain now. He was a friend of Howard and the two wrote letters back and forth and shared stuff in their respective Universes -and others even today write stuff in The Mythos. Now its not actually apart of The Mythos, but if you've read Stephen King's IT (esp. what was VERY importantly omitted from the film) and Dark Tower Series, and The Mist you will see influences. Films like John Carpenter's The Thing, Scott Ridley's Alien, and films like Event Horizon fit in that category. I think Geiger is to ART what HP is to the written word. (And really, a real life Upton Pickman)

Have you ever read The Willows by Algernon Blackwood? It too is in the PD and available online if you look. That was one of HP Lovecraft's favorite stories. It's really great and I was scurred D=

I think some of my favorites are The Music of Eric Zhan, Whisperer In The Darkness, Haunter of The Dark, and The Nameless City.
Edited by Garamsythe on 9/18/2011 3:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
D3 has a "lore queen", if you will, that the team turns to to make sure the content from game to game stays relevant and fluid. I think it was a GI interview where I read this.

With that said, I see where you're coming from. WC suffers from a similar problem. Really suffers. Heh. The IP started as a hack and slash with no expectations of a cult following, and grew around the desire to continue the adventure, not the lore.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Heh. Maybe I should just wait to play DIII, but I haven't heard about any blatant flaws in the quality of lore transitioning between DII and DIII. Most of what I've heard so far is petty (such as the statements "protecting" versus "shrouding", regarding the purpose of the World Stone - an incredibly pointless difference to pick at as far as I can tell).

**edit - I'm not denying that the flaws might exist, just that I haven't heard of anything worth spending time wondering at.
Edited by Kyrtis on 9/19/2011 8:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@ Kyrtis, I appreciate what you said. In regards to your question, there was a post quite a ways back by bashiok stating that the Sin Wars were the only books to be taken as Canon. Trust me I'd love it just as much as the next person if the other ones were essentially a part of that, but unfortunately when I read that post it was ever so slightly disheartening.

@ Shingan, Your points about the story not making sense are a bit laughable due to the fact that... you've never even read the books? How do you possibly propose to argue points about lore when you don't even know what the lore is?
Reply Quote
From the Sin War trilogy I got the idea that the souls of humans (those that aren't wandering around Sanctuary) go to the place Trag'Oul inhabits, which isn't the Void. I think the souls become part of him since it's mentioned each of his 'scales' showed the life of every person. Also Trag'Oul said he was created when Sanctuary was, so he and all humans are tied to Santuary.
So basically Trag'Oul lives in a sort of realm of the dead and is the combination of the souls of the dead and the living. And he said he exists as long as Sanctuary exists so he's not dead.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]