Diablo® III

Hardcore Day One?

Will hardcore mode be available day one? Immediately prior to beating normal?

(Note this is assuming you don't beat normal on day one, inb4troll)
Reply Quote
I think it will be, nothing certain yet though.
Reply Quote
I'd like to see them keep it how it is in D2.
Reply Quote
It would be especially hardcore to play hardcore on your first play through. Imagine if you actually pulled it off and made your hero on day 1 and beat the game all the way through Inferno without ever dying. That should be a Feat of Strength.
Reply Quote
Pretty sure Blizzard has already stated that hardcore will be available immediately. I know they have. I can't link anything though.
Reply Quote
09/14/2011 08:45 AMPosted by cut
I'd like to see them keep it how it is in D2.

What? Where you can edit the registry and make it available instantly? I'd prefer it just be available I don't want to go editing the registry for stuff like that.
Reply Quote
Not going to lie, I've always played softcore in LoD, but recently I made a hardcore character to see what it was like. And I have to admit, once I started, theres no going back to softcore. Hardcore is way too exciting and on the edge. I'm a little nervous though starting out on hardcore for my first character (Which will be the Barbarian or Witch Doctor). Not knowing the fights or anything, bleh... but I guess that's what makes hardcore, hardcore huh?
Reply Quote
Will hardcore mode be available day one? Immediately prior to beating normal?

(Note this is assuming you don't beat normal on day one, inb4troll)

NO, I guess

Because hardcore players would give up soon :))
Reply Quote
There's a tooltip string datamined from the beta client:

HeroCreateHardcoreLocked - Hardcore Heroes are only available after completing the campaign in Normal mode.

There's also:

HeroCreateHardcoreUnlocked Warning, if a Hardcore Hero dies, you will no longer be able to play with this hero!
Edited by Glass on 9/14/2011 9:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
09/14/2011 08:46 AMPosted by ObsCure
It would be especially hardcore to play hardcore on your first play through. Imagine if you actually pulled it off and made your hero on day 1 and beat the game all the way through Inferno without ever dying. That should be a Feat of Strength.

Especially given day one crashes. That really would be a feat of strength.
Reply Quote
ive never understood the restriction. why do i have to beat the game first before i can use a hardcore character? if i die, i have no one to blame but myself, and i knew what i was getting into in the first place.

i really hope they remove this restriction. will be a lot more exciting for me to experience the game the first time through on hardcore mode
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
09/14/2011 09:20 AMPosted by Brandon
Not going to lie, I've always played softcore in LoD, but recently I made a hardcore character to see what it was like. And I have to admit, once I started, theres no going back to softcore. Hardcore is way too exciting and on the edge. I'm a little nervous though starting out on hardcore for my first character (Which will be the Barbarian or Witch Doctor). Not knowing the fights or anything, bleh... but I guess that's what makes hardcore, hardcore huh?

Very true, once you do go hardcore you can never go back.

That being said, I think I'll play through softcore at least once to get the idea of the game. I don't want to die cause I'm standing on a spot where a surprise boss comes out or anything. As well, I'll probably need some play time with the new toons to see who I want to start the HC trek with.
Reply Quote
09/14/2011 11:40 AMPosted by Nuuq
I don't want to die cause I'm standing on a spot where a surprise boss comes out or anything.

yea but! dont you see how thats just a little *less* hardcore than just blindly HCing it the first time through? id at least like the option.

nothing wrong with doing SC first if you want some experience with the game, but why restrict us in this aspect
Reply Quote
I will be playing hardcore from the start it was amazing in D2 before mods came out you could duel someone and loot all their gear so awesome.
Edited by Kerish on 9/14/2011 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nope I'm going to do a run through Normal mode first. I find it silly to run headstrong into HC not knowing the perils. Learning the mechanics of the game with such a harsh trial-by-fire method isn't something that appeals to me. After my first run of normal however it will be exclusively HC :D
Reply Quote
09/14/2011 11:49 AMPosted by BazDefunct
Nope I'm going to do a run through Normal mode first. I find it silly to run headstrong into HC not knowing the perils. Learning the mechanics of the game with such a harsh trial-by-fire method isn't something that appeals to me. After my first run of normal however it will be exclusively HC :D

Dungeons of Dredmor was like this and it was fantastic for this very reason, some people do enjoy it. Just sucks cause it seems like we won't be able to do it.
Edited by Melanchthon on 9/14/2011 2:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Part of the allure of hardcore is going in blind and feeling great that you figured out the encounters without any prior knowledge, it doesn't seem there's a good reason this should be denied to a group of the playerbase that wants to play this way.
Reply Quote
10/07/2011 08:31 AMPosted by CHeFAXoLoTL
but wise one you told us you can just edit the registry. so what's to worry about.

This wont be the case with D3, it's server based, this information will be held server side for your character, manipulating your registry wont do anything.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]