Diablo® III

Hard Core mode builds.

85 Tauren Druid
Please post your hardcore mode builds:-

This is mine,, constructive feedback welcomed. Would love to see other HC builds and reasons why you've selected what you have.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#jQPOVm!XWU!bZZZcZ

Reply Quote
Its easy to stop melee mobs, the issue I think that will kill most hardcore characters is archer and caster mobs killing them from afar.
I would go with this build http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZUhSiV!XdZ!YaaZab
If the Temporal Flux passive works on bosses it should be very good.
-Fork on the missiles for an aoe slow from long range with Temporal Flux.
-Volatility for AOE on enemies attacking my Mirror images
-Mocking Demise for more AOE damage
-Time Warp to increase Disentegrate damage
-Wormhole for OH !@#$!! moments when you need to run
-Prism would be the starter in most rooms full of mobs...Most encounters would go Prism, Time Warp, Mirror Images, Spam Disintregate, use magic missile aoe to slow and pile up mobs for the next roundof CD's, wormhole away if it isnt under control.

I went back using other peoples ideas and made this build, very mana effecient, unreal survival, only relying on Chain Lightning and Time Warp for damage. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#dOQVSi!Wde!YaccZY might be too much survival and not enough damage.
Edited by Chrion on 9/15/2011 10:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZakQiO!dZU!bZZcYa

Arcane barrage build with survivabily spells, traits and runes.

Force Amor + ancient guardian = gankproof unless you're at 26%
Teleport with mirror images = ultimate getaway?

Weave arcane barrage and magic missle to keep sufficiant mana levels. Crimson Frost nova for good burst damage.

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I agree, thats why with my build i have Energy armor with cr rune for increase resists against casters.Plus Galvanizing ward for heals. Rof tied with familiar dmg increase should kill ranged i believe, if not i can run away out of range, heal up abit with GW passive and ES and as they have been snared by my Rof gives me time enough for the heals to be effective and get back into the fight.

Thanks for your input.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Its easy to stop melee mobs, the issue I think that will kill most hardcore characters is archer and caster mobs killing them from afar.
I would go with this build http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZUhSiV!XdZ!YaaZab
-Prism would be the starter in most rooms full of mobs...Most encounters would go Prism, Time Warp, Mirror Images, Spam Disintregate, use magic missile aoe to slow and pile up mobs for the next roundof CD's, wormhole away if it isnt under control.

I like your build,, its viable.I would do a slight change thou.. Id change disintegrate for Rof with Cold blood rune as min dmg of Rof is 142 per sec and Dis max dmg is 107. Rof will become AP positive thus being spammable with snare. Id keep MM with Fork as that will obviously help with multiple mob slows.
Your MI, id change the rune to Mirror Mimics as by default MI dont do any dmg at all so runed with mimc will help increase your dps.

Thanks for your input..
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

Weave arcane barrage and magic missle to keep sufficiant mana levels. Crimson Frost nova for good burst damage.

Nice build also,, you have plenty of oh sh*t skills.
you have decent AP regen as long as MM hits.
And decent dps.
Only issue I have is that you will have only 80 AP max instead of 100 as per default.
otherwise its a good build, i like. :)

Thanks for your input.
Reply Quote

I like your build,, its viable.I would do a slight change thou.. Id change disintegrate for Rof with Cold blood rune as min dmg of Rof is 142 per sec and Dis max dmg is 107. Rof will become AP positive thus being spammable with snare. Id keep MM with Fork as that will obviously help with multiple mob slows.
Your MI, id change the rune to Mirror Mimics as by default MI dont do any dmg at all so runed with mimc will help increase your dps.

Thanks for your input..

I think the mirrors will die so fast that +damage on them might not matter, them exploding and stunning the enemies might save your skin and allow you to get away.
Reply Quote

I hadn't seen that rune making the familiar so amazing for survival, thats so sweet.
Reply Quote

The main difference between RoF and disintegrate is that disintegrate will pass thru enemies. This allows you to slow down and damage melee as they approach while burning the ranged in the back; assuming you can line it up correctly.

In fact, im starting to like that better then arcane barrage for my build. Possilby with a different rune; not that fond of the alabaster for disintegrate.
Reply Quote
09/15/2011 10:41 PMPosted by Throkmorten

The main difference between RoF and disintegrate is that disintegrate will pass thru enemies. This allows you to slow down and damage melee as they approach while burning the ranged in the back; assuming you can line it up correctly.

In fact, im starting to like that better then arcane barrage for my build. Possilby with a different rune; not that fond of the alabaster for disintegrate.

It felt like the build was good except that it lacked that extra aoe oomph, thats the reason my mind went to that rune. Which rune ya think would be better suited?
Reply Quote
09/15/2011 10:44 PMPosted by Chrion
It felt like the build was good except that it lacked that extra aoe oomph, thats the reason my mind went to that rune. Which rune ya think would be better suited?

Maybe crimson? With slow time down you should have plenty of time to manuever(or even teleport) and line up the shot, which would be your AoE. And it's guaranteed damage that doesnt suffer when you need to have solid single target damage
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

I went back using other peoples ideas and made this build, very mana effecient, unreal survival, only relying on Chain Lightning and Time Warp for damage. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#dOQVSi!Wde!YaccZY might be too much survival and not enough damage.

You're right, there is too much survival and not enough dps skills. I think alot of people might be mis-reading mirror images. By default your MI wont do any dmg. So with that im assuming the MI from your runed teleport wont do dmg either. I see your current teleport runed as is, as more of a pvp skill combo. If you had mirror image with cr rune so your MI do dmg then that teleport runed would be ok. I strongly beleive you need to have more dps skills in there.
Electrocute on its own wont do enough to kill mobs as "each jump does less dmg".

I think your first build was better,, maybe just swap the alabaster rune on Dis to Indigo and that will help with killing more mobs as its a much wider beam and increase in dps.

Just my thoughts
Reply Quote
My 2c...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#dRjQiO!dWU!babZca

Relying on the yellow ray of frost to keep it up for a while whilst zoning with hydras and extreme survivability/escapability just sounds awesome :).

Did I mention the hydras were arcane... O_________O
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
My 2c...

<a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#dRjQiO!dWU!babZca">http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#dRjQiO!dWU!babZca</a>

Relying on the yellow ray of frost to keep it up for a while whilst zoning with hydras and extreme survivability/escapability just sounds awesome :).

Did I mention the hydras were arcane... O_________O

I like your build also. But you dont have any real AOE. Id either replace Rof or Electrocute. Rof is spammable as it only costs 3 AP and your default AP regen is 12 per sec plus does more dmg than electrocute. Choose an AOE for your 2nd skill.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#dUjPOh!bXU!bZZZZZ

Best defense is a good offense.
Edited by Dzyan on 9/16/2011 2:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#jdPbSi!Wfd!bbZYaa

Here's my build:

Ray of Frost w/ Gold Rune:

Great dps, as well as a slowing effect. Will help keep your enemies at bay whilst doing damage. A gold rune allows for effective continual use.

Electrocute w/ Gold Rune:

This ability is essential to the build. It will not do much damage, however with the gold rune it will quickly replenish mana allowing you to keep dealing dps in a hurry (more dps = less monsters fighting = less dying).

Meteor w/ Crimson Rune:

Third skill slot is interchangeable. This is where I'm putting my massive damage/aoe skills. With the new skill system you'll want to switch this out occasionally to deal with monster resistances.

Ice Armor w/ Indigo Rune:

This armor spell has several benefits that I think make it the best choice for a hardcore character. One, without runes, it offers the most defence of all the armors. It will also slow enemies that hit giving you a good chance to run away if things get a little hairy. With an Indigo rune you are given more opportunity to keep your distance from enemies closing in.

Slow Time w/ Alabaster:

This skill will be extremely effective for dealing with ranged enemies as their projectiles will be extremely slowed within the warp. I chose an alabaster rune to help deal even more damage before you have to run away.

Teleport w/ Alabaster:

This was an absolutely vital skill in Diablo 2, and I guarantee it will be a life saver in Diablo 3. Help yourself get out of some real bad situations. Alabaster rune will allow you to make a second teleport just in case.

Passives:

Galvanizing Ward:
This was an obvious choice. Life regeneration and extra duration? Yes, please!

Arcano Dynamo:
Because you will be casting electrocute a lot, this skill will help make your dps skills real nasty.

Illusionist:
This will help mostly in boss fights/unique fights. This will help you get away from the fray often where a cooldown would not let you.

AHHH this just makes me want to play real bad.
Edited by tweanut on 9/16/2011 2:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#jdPbSi!Wfd!bbZYaa

Here's my build:

Ray of Frost w/ Gold Rune:

Great dps, as well as a slowing effect. Will help keep your enemies at bay whilst doing damage. A gold rune allows for effective continual use.

Electrocute w/ Gold Rune:

This ability is essential to the build. It will not do much damage, however with the gold rune it will quickly replenish mana allowing you to keep dealing dps in a hurry (more dps = less monsters fighting = less dying).

Meteor w/ Crimson Rune:

Third skill slot is interchangeable. This is where I'm putting my massive damage/aoe skills. With the new skill system you'll want to switch this out occasionally to deal with monster resistances.

Ice Armor w/ Indigo Rune:

This armor spell has several benefits that I think make it the best choice for a hardcore character. One, without runes, it offers the most defence of all the armors. It will also slow enemies that hit giving you a good chance to run away if things get a little hairy. With an Indigo rune you are given more opportunity to keep your distance from enemies closing in.

Slow Time w/ Alabaster:

This skill will be extremely effective for dealing with ranged enemies as their projectiles will be extremely slowed within the warp. I chose an alabaster rune to help deal even more damage before you have to run away.

Teleport w/ Alabaster:

This was an absolutely vital skill in Diablo 2, and I guarantee it will be a life saver in Diablo 3. Help yourself get out of some real bad situations. Alabaster rune will allow you to make a second teleport just in case.

Passives:

Galvanizing Ward:
This was an obvious choice. Life regeneration and extra duration? Yes, please!

Arcano Dynamo:
Because you will be casting electrocute a lot, this skill will help make your dps skills real nasty.

Illusionist:
This will help mostly in boss fights/unique fights. This will help you get away from the fray often where a cooldown would not let you.

AHHH this just makes me want to play real bad.

I think there are only 2 things you will need to change. Rof runed with golden has a cost of 3AP. Default AP Regen is 12 per sec, so you can spam Rof as much as you want and you will always be AP positive. In saying that, that means there is no point in having Electrocute as it does low dmg and there is no need for AP Regen as Rof will help with that. Soooo,, if you remove Electrocute then Dynamo becomes pointless. So now you have one free skill and one free passive. Go nuts.. :)
Reply Quote
I made a silly little build just to see how defensive you could get with a wizard a few days ago and came up with this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#QiSdPh!fWd!ccbZZa">http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#QiSdPh!fWd!ccbZZa

Basically you have:

-Energy armor runed to make it so you, at most, can take only 26% damage at any one hit. No getting one shot, losing your character. Also being energy armor you get extra defense.

-Teleport with 25% less damage buff. It lasts 16 seconds, and you can cast it again within 16 seconds. Due to having illusionist, you can cast it at will, and if you need to get out of a bind, illusionist will give you your teleport back.

-Slow Time w/ lower cooldown for more reliable defense against melee and range. Also it'll make aiming meteors easier if they work like they do in D2 with the delay.

-Mirror Image w/ possible 50% stun chance on death. This not only gets enemies off you, but when the images die, they keep monsters stuck right there, ready to take a meteor to the face - and also not dealing damage to you. With illusionist, more blowy-upy mirror images for them to kill.

-Meteor with crimson rune - Massive damage.

-Electrocute w/ crimson for damage since you're going to be spamming a lot of signature spells.

So defensively, you have Galvanizing Wizard for regenerating life so you're always at full - because this is hardcore. If you die because you didn't have 32 more life, you die. You want to live.

Also, defensively you have illusionist that since this character has both teleport and mirror image it works twice as well. Getting hit will get you your teleport back and your mirror image back.

So this character's main damage dealing is quite little, but it's powerful. With arcane dynamo you can cast your meteors and inbetween them cast your buffed up Electrocute. Electrocute will fuel arcane dynamo for making your crimson runed meteor go +50% which probably will be one of the most powerful single on spell cast in the game. Being as the only spells that require AP (at least in respect to being in battle since energy armor is cast once every 4 minutes) are your teleport and meteor, you can pretty much just drop a meteor almost every time you have the AP for it, despite the you have only 80 AP (w/o items) with energy armor on.

It'll be a slow paced build, not having any huge nova ability at the beginning. But the real power in the build is, if you have patience and always pay attention you should never ever die. With all the defensive bonuses and built in ways to run away, the biggest challenge is doing the damage with only electrocute and meteor - as opposed to the biggest challenge being staying alive.
Edited by Defenestrate on 9/16/2011 9:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Here's mine... http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UeXiOm!ZXe.!aaYbZa

I endlessly spam hydra anywhere I'm walking, especially around corners or going into rooms. I'll use electrocute just to blow up destructibles or to kill weak mobs from really far away. Against most mobs, I'll walk around with arcane torrent endlessly melting faces with good crit bonuses thanks to passive and the arcane barrier. Oh yeah, and that hydra crits non-stop too because it's also using fire. Using a non-stop supply of arcane torrent keeps my armor waaaay up there. If I encounter an especially difficult elite mob, Archon does the trick without any trouble. I melted the butcher on hard mode tonight in about 6 seconds. If things get really hairy, I use the diamond skin and either walk away or casually melt the mob.

This build has excellent range, survivability, a virtually endless supply of AP and enough DPS to get the job done.

Let me know what you think! Good luck and happy hunting!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]