Diablo® III

So how much like the Necromancer?

I really want to be choosy with who I play as. Getting into the beta will help test some character builds out before I do it for real, but overall I don't want to spread myself to thin and play like, every character. I think a couple is what I want to focus on.

One thing I realized is I like to have a character that can eventually manage large groups at once.

I REALLY liked the Necromancer because he had a potent set of skills between combining the Blood Golem with Iron Maiden, as well as that bone spear attack that could get through swaths of enemies, as well as the corpse explosion.

So the question becomes, would the Witch Doctor be good for that kind of stuff as well? Or do people think the Wizard may possibly be better?
Reply Quote
I wouldn't say any class is particularly close to the necromancer. There is no class that summons an army. There is no class with Corpse Explosion in its original (overpowered). There is no class with the sheer variety of debuffs that the Necromancer had, nor are any quite as amazing as Lower Resist or Decrepify.

The Witch Doctor has been more often compared to the Druid, with limited pets and a stronger focus on his own offensive magic. He has no Bone Spear-esque spell as far as I know, but has several other AoE spells for 'cutting through swathes of enemies' and he does have a 'magic bolt' attack if you like those. Zombie Dogs can become something similar to Blood Golem, and he has a passive to increase reflective damage from gear.

I'd say the Wizard is less Necromancer-y, however.
Reply Quote
Arg, i hated having anything to do with corpses on the necromancer. I can't summon an army because there's no corpses and i can't make any corpses because i dont have an army. I suppose there's less of a problem if there's more than 1 person playing but still. Plus corpse necros were nearly useless against bosses.

There are some abilities and runes that might get you to where you're going. A combination of mass confusion- Devolution (targets effected spawn zombie dogs when killed), sacrfice- next of kin/provoke the pack (sacced zombies either spawn new zombies or increase damage), soul harvest and an AoE will probably get you close to an old corpse explosion necro.
Reply Quote
The Witch Doctor is the closest to the Necromancer. If you want an army, use Summon Zombie Dogs (tougher than skeletons in D2) and Gargantuan (Golem equivalent) with the Zombie Handler passive to make them tougher.

WD's version of corpse explosion is Acid Cloud with a crimson runestone = Corpse Bomb: A corpse emerges from the ground and explodes for 148-203 poison damage to enemies in the area.

Closest thing to bone spear is Zombie Charger which does pierce through and damage all enemies in a straight line, but it only runs out to medium range.
Reply Quote
I hated skeleton armies as a necro though, they were very weak to me. I preferred having a super powered blood golem, that would also feed life back to me.

What worries me is that the pets are more limited and he's more "druid like". It may be just the balance throw that drives me to just go pure rain hell upon your enemies magic with a wizard (even though I've never played wizard before).

I'm concerned I dont see that perfect class for me this time around. Barbarian and Monk could be out just because I dont want hack n slash melee unless they have some major good crowd control spells (Druid was a major pain in D2 but you did get that whirlwhind spell later in the game and you could just run through dungeons cutting stuff up in your path as a result). Demon Hunter looks cool, but in the end it's just a bow/trap class and I'm not super excited about that.

So it leaves me with this "sort of" necro and then the usual caster class.

It does make me really want to play the beta though and get a taste of all of them to know for sure before getting into the real game.
Reply Quote
09/20/2011 01:00 AMPosted by Spooky
WD's version of corpse explosion is Acid Cloud with a crimson runestone = Corpse Bomb: A corpse emerges from the ground and explodes for 148-203 poison damage to enemies in the area.

Unfortunately this is nothing like Corpse Explosion, which dealt a percentage of the target's maximum HP as damage - 50% fire, 50% physical. This meant that Decrepify, Lower Resist, and Amplify Damage could all increase the damage of CE (Amplify could increase it to more than 105% of target HP as damage). What this meant was that once you've made a corpse or two, you can flatten an entire army. Not to mention that you only need to level it moderately for explosion radius, unlike the max-fest required for other skills.
Reply Quote
09/20/2011 03:14 PMPosted by Acaelus

Unfortunately this is nothing like Corpse Explosion, which dealt a percentage of the target's maximum HP as damage - 50% fire, 50% physical. This meant that Decrepify, Lower Resist, and Amplify Damage could all increase the damage of CE (Amplify could increase it to more than 105% of target HP as damage). What this meant was that once you've made a corpse or two, you can flatten an entire army. Not to mention that you only need to level it moderately for explosion radius, unlike the max-fest required for other skills.

^^ This

Add in a blood golem smack dab in the middle of a mob, iron maiden, and a juice up bone spear to make those corpses, and, well, you had a veritable domino effect of chaos to be had.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]