Diablo® III

Rapid Fire with Obsidian Runestone - Clarify?

Rapid Fire -- Rapidly fire at 6 times your normal attack speed dealing 30% weapon damage with every shot.

Fire Support -- While channeling Rapid Fire launch 7 homing missiles every second that deal 50% weapon damage to nearby targets.

1) With Fire Support, do I fire homing missiles and regular shots?
I assume yes, as a level 1 runestone is likely to give 1 missile per second.

2) Will Fire Support's homing missiles attack random creatures, or specifically your target?

3) Do Fire Support's missiles count as "attacks made by the Demon Hunter against the marked target" in regards to Marked for Death's Golden runestone effect?

4) If the answers are yes, your target, and yes, will Fire Support + Ballistics be too damn ridiculously powerful for single target damage? The result would be 700% weapon damage + 180% weapon DPS, channeled indefinitely.
Edited by Acaelus on 9/20/2011 9:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/20/2011 09:49 AMPosted by Acaelus
2) Will Fire Support's homing missiles attack random creatures, or specifically your target?

It says nearby targets, so I am going to assume whatever targets are nearest to you, not what target you are going for. If there is only one monsters (like a boss), all of them probably will go for it.

09/20/2011 09:49 AMPosted by Acaelus
3) Do Fire Support's missiles count as "attacks made by the Demon Hunter against the marked target" in regards to Marked for Death's Golden runestone effect?

It should.

1) With Fire Support, do I fire homing missiles and regular shots?

This is probably a yes because if you look at the Crimson rune it says, "Rapidly fire grenades instead of arrows...". I would assume it would have the same wording if it was to null the original effect of rapid fire. There is the possibility of it not doing both, but it should be stated more clearly if the case.

As for your final question: Yes, it would be a nice bossing combo. It is pretty powerful, but it doesn't mean you are going to be able to stay in one place and just shoot Rapid Fire forever. With CC'ing and other such things, you will have to run about a bit. When you think of AOE skills, you might be doing 2000% dps (if you have a large mob), but doing only 200~% dps for a single target.

If you look at Impale with an Alabaster Rune and put it with Archery, you can be doing insane damage per shot. 220%+500% for criticals -> 720%, with the crossbow's 100% more critical strike damage to be doing 1440% more damage on criticals (assuming that adds up right..)
Edited by StaIker on 9/20/2011 11:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The Alabaster in Impale is certainly impressive, but depends entirely on critical hits and is also limited by Hatred, unlike Rapid Fire. I'm not sure what the point of the AoE comment was, as the entire focus of this thread is single target sustained damage.

CC'ing and avoidance will of course detract from the power in this build more than a burst damage focus, but given the opportunity to truly unload (which most assuredly, will arrive), this could be monstrous.

Of course, if the missiles cannot be directed as you suggest, then boss adds would be of great detriment to the damage, and we have been informed that bosses do indeed have adds.
Edited by Acaelus on 9/20/2011 3:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
True that Impale is not as well equipped for infinite spam, but with running around, and other skills, it can be just as nice. It is based on critical strike, but it is still nice (and can be more effective with the right gear)
As for the AOE comment, I was just putting out there that AOE, when you think about it, does a lot more DPS... a lot more. It was just kind of showing it, not much else.

Yes, it can be monstrous. But hey, why not? I am sure a lot of builds can be devastating. If Blizzard thinks it is too ridiculous, they might put a stop to it and that is what patches are for.

They also said they are changing some of the depletion ideas for Demon Hunters, so we will see on that.

Another thing to remember is this: You area level 60 character with a Rank 7 Rune. You should be powerful.

(I did this as a quick build based around Imaple:
<a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#feTSai!WUc!aZbZaa">http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#feTSai!WUc!aZbZaa</a>

With this, assuming I am doing that math right (as I am not sure how damage is going to stack exactly):
Impale: 220%+500% with critical strike+20% from slow+20% from MoD = 760% damage. Critical Strike + Archery = 3x damage of critical strike -> 760x3= 2280% more damage on criticals. It might be different, because I am not exactly sure how that 500% factors in.

I have decent hatred regain from Companion and Shadow Power. I get % critical with Sharpshooter and Caltrops rune. I do 40% damage aoe with MoD (2280%x.4 = 912% damage).

This is just a comparison of damage~ Nothing more.

Edit:
I just realized this: It says launches 7 homing missiles. Now, I have no idea if this really affects anything.. but Ballistics technically says rockets. If you look at Sentry with an Obsidian Rune, it says homing rockets. So, it may/may not be doing 700% damage from missiles ^^'
Edited by StaIker on 9/20/2011 8:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/20/2011 03:13 PMPosted by StaIker
I just realized this: It says launches 7 homing missiles. Now, I have no idea if this really affects anything.. but Ballistics technically says rockets. If you look at Sentry with an Obsidian Rune, it says homing rockets. So, it may/may not be doing 700% damage from missiles ^^'

That would ruin my day.
Reply Quote
I dont think rapid fire w/ obisidian will be affected by ballistics, they typed missiles on purpose
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]