Diablo® III

Hardcore and disconnects??

85 Tauren Warrior
Hey there, I had a question for whoever can answer. I remember back in the days I was playing Diablo 2, after going trough the game a couple of times I started playing hardcore. I also remember that most of my deaths were due to disconnecting from they game. While not being an expert I assumed it was caused by the fact that your character remained in game or in combat for that matter, for a while after I losed connection to the server.

While connections and servers are a lot more stable nowadays, it can still happen that I was getting disconnecting once in a while playing WoW.

I was wondering if there was any coding/plans to fix that, may it be a server or client side disconnection.

It was very frustrating to see all the efforts I've put into a character going down the drain without even being able to do anything about it. Just getting back on and seeing a ghost was such a pain... I personally really enjoyed HC on Diablo 2, just stopped because it was becoming silly to lose characters that way.

Thanks for response!
Reply Quote
A very interesting question. I hadn't thought of this, and if there's nothing in place to prevent it, that's a huge deterrent for me. Not because I disconnect often, but if I did I'd probably combust IRL.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
the problem with this is if u ever get in a situation where u are going to die u can just pull the plug...
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
09/19/2011 04:58 AMPosted by Kangaxx
the problem with this is if u ever get in a situation where u are going to die u can just pull the plug...

well that's why they should only resolve an issue if it's a server side problem and not a client side.. tough luck if you have a bad provider, but if it's blizzard server
Reply Quote
Ehhh I got bad news for you hardcore players the game waits 10 or so seconds before you leave the game so pulling the plug isn't going to work as well as it did in diablo 2. But on the plus side the servers will probably be a ton more stable.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
09/19/2011 05:07 AMPosted by Pinkypank

well that's why they should only resolve an issue if it's a server side problem and not a client side.. tough luck if you have a bad provider, but if it's blizzard server

sounds really trickyy to implement but yeah if blizzards battle.net disconnects u because it crashed or whatever and u lose your hc character because of it that really sucks. and having watched tons of sc2 events i know that does happen...
Reply Quote
here are my thoughts. Quoted from Arreat Summit! The Diablo 2 Hardcore Disclaimer

Note: Blizzard Entertainment is in no way responsible for your Hardcore character. If you choose to create and play a Hardcore character, you do so at your own risk. Blizzard is not responsible for the death and loss of your hardcore characters for any reason including Internet lag, bugs, Acts of God, your little sister, or any other reason whatsoever. Consult the End User License Agreement for more details. Blizzard will not, and does not have the capability to restore any deceased Hardcore characters. Don't even ask. La-la-la-la-la, we can't hear you.
Edited by Killswap on 9/19/2011 5:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
disconnect /lag spike death really cant be avoided ..aka why rmah with not be on hardcore servers
Reply Quote
If you aren't hardcore, don't play hardcore. If you can't build a character that can survive a disconnect, then stick to softcore; You'll be happier there. Hardcore is for real men.
Reply Quote

Now that all characters are saved server-side, I don't see why Blizzard wouldn't do a roll-back if the disconnection was due to a server issue. You may lose an hour of play, but your HC character would be alive.

As for disconnections not due to the server, you would be S.O.L. as they say.
Reply Quote
Another thread where someone asks blizz to make hardcore not be hardcore...

If you're worried about the server causing you to lose your character, don't play it. It's really that simple.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Solution: Don't play HC with crap internet.

I played HC only in D2 with dialup and later with minimum speed cable and can't recall ever dying due to disconnect or lag.
Edited by Szar on 9/19/2011 7:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't have 'crap' internet, but I played hardcore in single player mode just to stay away from this issue. It happened to me more than a couple times when connected to battlenet. Unfortunately this cannot be done anymore.

I would imagine there is something they can do to keep some type of status client side that shows if you character was not killed when the disconnect happens. But I am sure someone would figure out how to exploit this. There needs to be some way to keep this from happening, because undoubtedly it will happen to alot of people.

Sure softcore is fun, but hardcore adds a bit more thrill to the game. But there is nothing thrilling about losing your character to lag.
Reply Quote
This is truly an unfixable problem, there will always be an off chance you will disconnect.

Or your ISP has to do a reset of some its hardware that you are not aware of.

This is a big deterrent for me considering drops do occasionally happen for me (once a month), usually quite late at night.

Considering optic fiber has only just started rolling out in my country (Australia) I probably wont make a HC character to avoid a rage related stroke.

However, if I was to make a HC character... It would be the Witchdoctor with zombie dogs, and the Templar with the intervene ability... perhaps it would give me enough time to log off :S
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]