Diablo® III

Possible D3 Bosses (lets get comprehensive!)

85 Goblin Death Knight
Okay aside from the obvious Prime Evils and the lesser ones we've already fought: Andariel and Duriel, who else can we point to as possible Act bosses, or perhaps lesser act bosses ala the Skeleton King... I'll start with everything I can list and you guys feel free to chime in with the ones I've missed, I'm no huge expert on lore so give us anything/anybody/any demon you can think of!

-Tyrael: Ok a lot of people believe he's good and I'm sort of inclined to agree, he is definately anti-hell and somewhat of a renegade angel now, I sort of doubt he will be a boss in D3 but I could see the plot twisting and him being a major enemy in an expansion maybe.

-Azmodeon and Belial: We know these two Lessers are still alive and kicking, in fact they were the ones who orginally conspired to kick the Prime Evils out of hell so they could get back to fight the war with heaven. Unfortunately they decided to betray each other and Hell became stuck in another civil war instead. So apparantly they hate each other, either one seems like a very possible candidate for an Act boss.

-The heroes of Diablo 2: May seem a bit of a stretch but they were said to have all gone insane (besides the Barbarian apparantly) shortly after the events of LoD. The insanity issue seems to be a common side effect of mortals doing battle with or being in close proximity of demons. Therefore I think while they may not be Act bosses, maybe one or two of them could show up as enemies at some point after being driven insane by the armies of hell. Also the fact that in Diablo 2 you actually fight against all 3 of the original Diablo heroes (the warrior who becomes Diablo and the sorcerer who becomes The Summoner, the rogue who becomes Bloodraven) is a giveaway that Blizzard is willing to use old heroes as enemies.

-The Angels of Heaven: I would say there will definately be angels in Diablo 3, probably showing up a little later in the game, say act 3 or 4. I also believe we will be doing battle against them. This allows for a lot of different possibilities of angels to fight, the main contenders being the Angris Council (basically the Prime Evils counterparts), among whom Tyrael is/was a member. The two that would most likely be up for a big showdown would be the archangel Imperius who was most vocal about simply destroying Sanctuary and who was backed by the archangel Mathael. Auriel and Itherael were Pro-Sanctuary and opposed to destroying it so its more unlikely those two will show up as enemies but who knows. Anyways, if the Heavenly Host is invading Sanctuary you can bet a few of the Angris Council will be among them.

-Inarius the rebellious angel who created Sanctuary with Lilith and was a major player in its history but who was basically banished to hell at Mephisto's behest. Currently whereabouts unknown but you can be sure he would have an interest in how the fate of Sanctuary turns out, I could see him being freed (perhaps by another desperate renegade angel?) and having an influence in events. Update: He's said to have been changed into a Balrog demon and someone mentioned he was banished to some other plane. So perhaps his chances of showing up in D3 are quite small.

-Lilith the Lesser Demon and Queen of the Succubi, Inarius lover. She coud potentially show up though I'm not sure about her whereabouts, as I'm not certain if the Pandemonium Event in Diablo 2 is really canon material or not. My guess is no, but that doesn't rule out her entering Sanctuary with the rest of the demons. And she definately would have an interest in Sanctuary just as Inarius, having been a huge player in its history. Anyone have ideas on this? Update: Someone said Lilith has also been banished to some other realm or plane. I'm not a 100% convinced however since we know that Blizz brought her back for the Diablo 2 Pandemonium event, she is actually the one who summons Diablo to help bring back the other Prime Evils as well as Duriel and Andariel. While I'm not sure if the Pandemonium event is supposed to be part of the lore, I would say its safe to assume that none of the above demons or Lilith herself should be counted out yet.

-Horazon and Bartuc the Warlord of Blood: It's a possibility these two brothers who ended up hating each other and who both messed with demons and summoning could show up in the game as well, doubtfully act bosses but more likely smaller players. We've already killed a Warlord of Blood in Diablo 1 and the last unique before Baal in LoD is named Bartuc as well so maybe he'll be making a third appearance.

-The Butcher: I seems quite likely we could see this guy again seeing as how Leoric is back as well, and the Butcher is a real fan favorite. Maybe a Butcher, Smith, Hephaesto tri-fecta?

-Nephalem: I've hit the character limit in this post so I'll be removing the Nephalem as I can't really find any specific character who would realistically become a boss in d3.
What else?
Edited by Novaniel on 9/20/2011 5:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Inarius (from the D1 manual) is an Interesting character, But he's also been turned into an Overlord (Like the Butcher, the Smith and Hephasto the armorer) so He's either some kind of Overlord on Steroids, or they'll give him the Izual treatment.

I see Imperius as the Heaven's counterpart to Diablo, he'd make an interesting boss. He reminds me of Judicator Aldaris, and maybe fighting HIS angels would pose the same kind of challenge here that fighting Leoric's Knights did in Diablo I. Also a good chance to explore the kind of archictechture like the Arcane Sanctuary, to represent his personality.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
-Tyrael: He is an angel, and wont be corrupted in this game. Wont be a boss.

-Blizzard has already posted that Azmodan (or would it be Belial?) is confirmed as an Act Boss...So the other one would be a boss too, unless he were kept in hell of banished to the void.

-Never thought of this possibility...Interesting, but unlikely. Blizzard has stated that some of them would be NPC's in the game. SO i think they wont be "beatable". But who knows...

-HMmm, I think that if both heaven and hell are going to try to put an end into sanctuary's existance, the we would be so damned that we couldnt still pose a chance. And that is the very reason that them both made a pact regarding sanctuary's safety, cause they both know that a direct invasion could be the end of the humans. We still dont know what is the real plot and thus we cant say for sure who will be enemy or friend. But i would say that there is a possibility that Imperius will fight against Tyrael, and not against us, humans. This because Tyrael voted against his will in the council AND for him to have "destroyed" the WS, allowin the demons to reach sanctuary at free will. Malthael did no vote. E absteined.SO he would unlikely be any boss in the game too.

-Inarius: As i can barely remember from the books, Inarius is not being held in Hell....but in some kind of time prison, an abyss where he would be watchin his own face forever...Its unlikely that he would be in the game....However i agree with your point, he would be for sure interested in the fate of sanctuary. And i could even think that if there is a possibility that he was set free, then the responsible for this would probably be Azmodan or Belial.

Lilith was cast out to the void, thus being incapacitated of any attempt of return. Im not sure about the details, but i can remember this. I will look for more details in the lore though. But she wont be a boss in the game, thats for sure. She is not in hell or something. Even the prime evils cant make any attempt to free her.

-Horazon and Bartuc: I really dont know about this ones...But i agree that they could be in the game, technically. But they would probably put new ones, like the siegebreaker, or even Kabraxis or some lore demon that has not yet appeared.

-I think all of us want to see The Butcher again! Sadly, theres no lore about him that i can remember...But i would say only ghosts and possessions like The skeleton kings could return to sanctuary after being defeated. Thus, we wont be seeing Duriel nor Andariel as well. But thats just my opinion...i could be wrong.

-The nephalem like Rhatma and Bul'Khatos are VERY dead, and in the books they are a kind of spirits, who only Mendeln could make contact with, along Trag'oul, because of his affinity with the "other side". So even if they make an appearence in the game, i would say that they wount be any fighting bosses....More likely to be allies, after all they are the predecessors of the Edyrem (humans) and thus would fight FOR sanctuary, not against it.

Other demons could be in the game too, as i mentioned: Kabraxis, or even the Diablo's pet Astrogha. Lucion (Mephisto's "son") was completely gone when Uldissyan wished him to be gone, so he wont appear.

Reply Quote
Been reading some Diablo novels myself recently and I'm thinking Kabraxis is likely to be involved, unless he dies in the next 40 pages of The Black Road. (Don't tell me!) He's got some ties to Asmodeon and Belial as well as the Sin wars.

After thinking on the subject for a while, I'm thinking Tyrael may actually be a boos, though likely in an expansion. The creation of the soul stones facilitated the return of the Prime Evils, the destruction of the World Stone allowed Sanctuary to be revealed to both the High Heavens and the Burning Hells (Demons want to corrupt and rule sanctuary and several of the angels just want to bulldoze the whole place into a parking lot). Tyreal is really the essential meddler, getting involved in situations that both factions would prefer he remain removed from, and in the end I think it could lead to him falling.
Reply Quote
I don't have much to add to the topic and I've never read any books or anything, but I just wanted to say that I really hope they keep Diablo and other past bosses out of the game. Rumors are spreading that some may return and one thing that I always loved about the Diablo games was how they all flowed nicely without forcing certain enemies to appear just for the sake of having them. Back in the day when I finished D2, my friends and I always discussed and looked forward to fighting the last two lesser evils, so I'm really hoping for them.
Reply Quote
Been reading some Diablo novels myself recently and I'm thinking Kabraxis is likely to be involved, unless he dies in the next 40 pages of The Black Road. (Don't tell me!) He's got some ties to Asmodeon and Belial as well as the Sin wars.

After thinking on the subject for a while, I'm thinking Tyrael may actually be a boos, though likely in an expansion. The creation of the soul stones facilitated the return of the Prime Evils, the destruction of the World Stone allowed Sanctuary to be revealed to both the High Heavens and the Burning Hells (Demons want to corrupt and rule sanctuary and several of the angels just want to bulldoze the whole place into a parking lot). Tyreal is really the essential meddler, getting involved in situations that both factions would prefer he remain removed from, and in the end I think it could lead to him falling.

I was actually thinking Kabraxis too, since in one of the interviews (its currently on page one of the general discussion) the dev says something along the lines of "it was kind of peaceful, and a lot of people just don't believe that the events of d2 happened, and they've gotten kind of complacent, and thats when its the best time for the forces of evil to work their magic" and whatnot, and that strikes as a whole Kabraxis style infiltration..
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Yup... perhaps the 20 years time gap that has passed upon sanctuary, which it being "at peace" could mean that the burning hells were "preparing" some real big move.
Reply Quote

I don't think being an angel makes you invincible from being corrupted. Hell I'd say he could be a main antagonist of some sort, who knows. I mean he destroyed the world stone, so the high heavens could have "disowned" him, leaving him weak and vulnerable to demonic corruption.
Reply Quote
I see Tyreal becoming Evil for Greater Good.... or something like Self-Sacrifice to save Leah or Sanctum... but in turn getting in the way w/e made him turn evil.... and Heaven Seeing base on sacrifice of Tyreal gives Sanctum another chance or... see good in humanity. and more angels come ot side of sanctum to continue the work that Tyreal Started
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

Izual says hi. He was an angel and got corrupted, so we could very well see the same thing happen to Tyrael.
Edited by Rhaenys on 9/24/2011 8:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
You forgot Diablo, who has already been confirmed at the Act 4 boss. We also know Azmodan and Belial will be Act bosses. The Mistress of Pain will be the Act 1 boss, which seems pretty logical, as they released concepts of her long, long ago.

As far as mini bosses go, we still have the Siegebreaker from A1 as well.
Anyone consider that Decard Cain is Belail? After-all it would seem to me that "The Lord of Lies" would be the most likley person too pull off a deception like that, acting as the person guiding us when really he is putting us to work for his own malicous plans. This is purley from me thinking and not confirmed in any lore(That i know of) .. But the Belial is a tricky fellow. =D
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
You forgot Diablo, who has already been confirmed at the Act 4 boss. We also know Azmodan and Belial will be Act bosses. The Mistress of Pain will be the Act 1 boss, which seems pretty logical, as they released concepts of her long, long ago.

As far as mini bosses go, we still have the Siegebreaker from A1 as well.

I said besides the ones we've already fought.. I didn't add him or the other 2 brothers or Duriel or Andy as we've already fought them and it was obvious any of them could be in this game as well, with Diablo showing up again for sure.

You say he is confirmed for act 4 though? Do you have a quote or something? I hadn't heard this before. I would imagine he'd be the act 4 boss, but I didn't know there was a confirmation. Also the Mistress of Pain does sound like she is probably the act 1 boss I agree.
Edited by Novaniel on 9/25/2011 10:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I thought about Cain possibly being an enemy in disguise but since there is a book coming out soon called the Book of Cain: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Diablo_III:_Book_of_Cain
I sort of doubt that possibility. It seems he fits the whole mentor, wise one stereotype of most hero journey stories and I don't see Blizz drastically changing that.
Reply Quote
I would love to fight Bartuc and Horazon as a duo fight!! Bartuc summoning/manipulating demons and Horazon casting dark magic?
Maybe when Bartuc is slain his head comes off?
Maybe if he kills your merc. or an ally (or even if Horazon dies before him) he could perform his ceremonial blood-bath that is mentioned in Legacy of Blood and gain sometype of powerup/enrage bonus?!

Also, I think for the sake of the fans that blizzard should definitely bring back the Butcher.

Why wasn't Tal'rasha mentioned? He is still out there!
Edited by Zarathustra on 9/27/2011 2:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Belial was actually confirmed as "being in" Act 2 by Jay Wilson. (http://www.diablowiki.net/Act_II)

I noticed on the Community page that the "wallpaper" button shows art of the heroes fighting a Diablo that is erupting out of the floor of a dark blue envrionment...that mght signal how/when we'll see Diablo. In Sanctuary? Doesn't look like Hell. Of course, with Act 4's setting still a mystery, it's hard to know.

Mistress of Pain struck me as more of a mini-boss looking type. Just happens to look awesome :D a la Izual, you could say.

It's occurred to me that Tyrael could be Belial...after all, Baal did pose as Tyrael already, so the character could totally be a ruse.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
bartuc was one of baals minions hes the boss of the act 3 patch.
Reply Quote
Very interesting topic here. I'm glad there are more people out there who have read the Diablo lore and appreciate what Blizzard is doing with D3! Now as far as the bosses I would like to encounter throughout the game. Definitely have Bartuc as a mini boss, cuz lets face it, Bartuc the Warlord of Blood was never even considered a lesser evil... Azmodan and Belial would be an interesting act 1 and act 2 boss. Following the setup of Diablo 2 you fight 2 lesser evils first, i.e. Andariel and Duriel. And then comes the conflict of will we ever see a Prime Evil again, with their soulstones destroyed. The Lord of Terror better better be in Diablo 3 enough said... Unfortunately I have a bad feeling the Angris Council will make their way into this series due to the protective shield of the Worldstone being destroyed by a selfish unloved bastard of what used to be a member of the Angris Council. Moving onto the topic of the Angris Council. Malthael is highly unlikely to show up due to his forfeit during the vote on what to do with Sanctuary. Him being the Angel of Death is cool and all but lets face it, he's neutral. All he cares about is cleaning up all the corpses we will be carving into. Auriel, she is too soft hearted to be a boss, most likely she will turn into the next Tyrael upon Tyrael's breakdown. Imperius is just a another bastard of the council, the angel of war of course is going to vote for the destruction of Sanctuary, so hopefully I get to kill him at some point in the game. Now onto the true neutral angel, Itherael... no one cares, sorry but you are the Sweden of the Angris council. Unfortunately Blizzard is running out of options on bosses. The flow of time has greatly reduced a lot of the characters we would want to fight.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
Judging from concept art, I can't help but think Tyrael is gonna fall hard.
Reply Quote
If you know the background story with heaven and hell being a little scared by the nephalem (humans unhindered by the worldstone) you know that tyrael destroying the worldstone probably was part of the threes grand design (just like the 'civil war' in hell) because the nephalem will take focus off of hell once empowered again.

The angels never liked sanctuary (ironically santuary was made by rogue angels and demons like lilith, mephistos daughter, to be a place of peace and 'sanctuary' strange huh?) they just wanted to see if the humans could fight demons well enough to be worth their time. once the humans find out the angels are just as bad as the demons. well... it turns into a free for all.
Tyrael wont be a boss unless he is cast into hell (like luscifer) and gets corrupted. but he wont be an angel for too much longer with his humanlike compassion.

really hard to tell where they're going, and that's a very good thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]