Diablo® III

How does Blizz feel about D3/beta/community?

(Locked)

85 Gnome Mage
Put me in coach, Im ready to plaaaaay tooodayy!

The thing that I find most interesting is that my experience with the community has usually been much more positive than it's presented to be on the forums. I don't know if that's because you often get what you give, or if I've just been lucky to run into cool people over the years.

The malevolent, whiney and generally unhappy population is the VERY vocal minority. Unfortunately, people are much, much more likely to voice their (negative) opinions when they feel they're inconvenienced or slighted in some way.

I've been a member of the Blizzard communities for as long as there have been Blizzard communities. Aside from the rare occassions when I take leave of my senses and decide to visit the forums, I've had primarily positive interactions with my fellow fans.
09/16/2011 11:32 AMPosted by Daxxarri
Anyway, what kind of impressions do you get when you do play incognito in your games? Or a few of the impressions.

The most important impression that we get is what it's like to just be another player interacting with the communities in our games. Obviously, this is most relevant in World of Warcraft purely due to the social nature of MMOs, but it applies in StarCraft II, and will apply in Diablo III as well.

The thing that I find most interesting is that my experience with the community has usually been much more positive than it's presented to be on the forums. I don't know if that's because you often get what you give, or if I've just been lucky to run into cool people over the years. That's not to say I haven't had some unfortunate encounters or moments of frustration - I'm only human myself, and when you get thousands of personalities and motivations and put them together, conflict is inevitable. I'd just make the case that, as a general rule, lots of random strangers are much more friendly, helpful, and fun to play with than they've been presented to be.

One could make the argument that what you get out of a community is what you've already decided to see in it.

One thing I've really learned over the years is that people tend to never talk about the good things in a game. The only thing anyone every has motivation to do is complain. I suppose that is just the way things are, though.

I agree that what you put in is what you get out of the game. If your a fun player who is nice to everyone you'll end up having a fun experience and a lot of online friends.
09/16/2011 11:32 AMPosted by Daxxarri
Anyway, what kind of impressions do you get when you do play incognito in your games? Or a few of the impressions.

The most important impression that we get is what it's like to just be another player interacting with the communities in our games. Obviously, this is most relevant in World of Warcraft purely due to the social nature of MMOs, but it applies in StarCraft II, and will apply in Diablo III as well.

The thing that I find most interesting is that my experience with the community has usually been much more positive than it's presented to be on the forums. I don't know if that's because you often get what you give, or if I've just been lucky to run into cool people over the years. That's not to say I haven't had some unfortunate encounters or moments of frustration - I'm only human myself, and when you get thousands of personalities and motivations and put them together, conflict is inevitable. I'd just make the case that, as a general rule, lots of random strangers are much more friendly, helpful, and fun to play with than they've been presented to be.

One could make the argument that what you get out of a community is what you've already decided to see in it.

/signed.
Yes, self-fulfilling prophecies and all that jazz... either way I am really excited to see so many rich answers all in one spot. Keep responding! We need you guys more than ever right now with our self-manufactured disappointment due to expecting the beta to release all week long!

Manage not only the community, but our expectations as well! :D

How bout you guys ask questions too so I don't feel like I'm interrogating Daxxarri.
Thanks for the reply btw!

Edit: Oh people did while I was busy typing.

It's also probable that as well as getting what you've decided to see, the community is reacting in kind. For instance, when there was a sudden splurge of blue, it seemed to get less angry, and some people started being more polite(myself particularly).

So, since your attitude is probably along the more positive ones, I would reckon that people are reacting positively to that positive attitude and donning it on themselves as well.

It's happened to me in Starcraft 2, where I say GL HF, and u2 can occur more often than some would think.

It's probably helpful that we have helpful Blizzard influences coming in and brightening the community :p Thanks for that as well, but do you get paid extra for that?
Having a more positive community makes it friendlier for new players after all, and makes the community potentially more willing to stay. By boosting the community, you're making Blizzard games better, and the better the game, the more consumers right!
Edited by Psuedonaut on 9/16/2011 11:56 AM PDT
Wow, I'm really amazed at the response. He's like....Big brother...
I have a question, does Blizzard care more about money or games?

edit: It's a solid question, I was always confused on how a company such as Blizzard could give up the Billion dollars worth of a profit so we could play games like sc2 and diablo for free. (Battle.net)
On the otherside, I have seen some pretty nasty lawsuits to "gamers".
Edited by SizzlnBizzle on 9/16/2011 11:58 AM PDT
09/16/2011 11:55 AMPosted by SizzlnBizzle

His responses are excellent because the questions asked are in regards to people, not the position of the company.

/post

how a company such as Blizzard could give up the Billion dollars worth of a profit so we could play games like sc2 and diablo for free. (Battle.net)

You just answered your own question.
Edited by Wulf on 9/16/2011 12:03 PM PDT
90 Goblin Warlock

Wise words. This is true. The world is what you make of it.
Edited by Snotspill on 9/16/2011 12:09 PM PDT
There was a video of an interview of Jay Wilson giving an answer to that, I'll link it when I find it.

Edit: Next Blizzard post contains the link.
Edited by Psuedonaut on 9/16/2011 12:49 PM PDT
65 Undead Warrior

edit: It's a solid question, I was always confused on how a company such as Blizzard could give up the Billion dollars worth of a profit so we could play games like sc2 and diablo for free. (Battle.net)

I can answer this...

At first Blizzard was a group of Gamers and they fully believed in making the best games possible at the time, with more care into quality of product over the cost and profit margins...

However, at this point, the original "Gamers" no longer have full control over the games they create.. with the corporation getting so large and the merge with activision, you now have ppl running the show (corporate executives) who care little about the quality of the games compared to how much profit/cost it will endure.

So basically instead of having a bunch of motivated "gamer" type individuals running the show, you now how money hungry, football team buying, corporate jet flying... for lack of better term..d-bags.

When all is said and done "It's a business" rules of gaming and actual love for gaming etiquette will fall behind to profit margins.

Corporations ruin gaming... However they do allow for HUGE multi million dollar projects such as D3.. just remember that everything that is done "for" the game, has hidden monetary agenda's.

Ive seen it from personal experience... its a ugly thing to watch first hand.

09/16/2011 12:19 PMPosted by Bustyobubble
just remember that everything that is done "for" the game, has hidden monetary agenda's

Its not hidden. The purpose of these games are to generate profit. Its that simple.

I can answer this...

At first Blizzard was a group of Gamers and they fully believed in making the best games possible at the time, with more care into quality of product over the cost and profit margins...

However, at this point, the original "Gamers" no longer have full control over the games they create.. with the corporation getting so large and the merge with activision, you now have ppl running the show (corporate executives) who care little about the quality of the games compared to how much profit/cost it will endure.

So basically instead of having a bunch of motivated "gamer" type individuals running the show, you now how money hungry, football team buying, corporate jet flying... for lack of better term..d-bags.

When all is said and done "It's a business" rules of gaming and actual love for gaming etiquette will fall behind to profit margins.

Corporations ruin gaming... However they do allow for HUGE multi million dollar projects such as D3.. just remember that everything that is done "for" the game, has hidden monetary agenda's.

Ive seen it from personal experience... its a ugly thing to watch first hand.

One day, you folks will actually read up on what happened and realize that Kotick has no hold or dominion over Blizzard.

They are separate companies.

The Vivendi merger with Activision is no different from when they were under Vivendi alone.

Even if there were corporate precident for Kotick to have any influence whatsoever, he wouldn't.

Bobby may be an evil, soulless bastard, but he's not stupid. He knows that his vile touch would irreparably damage the serendipitous story that is Blizzard's history of unmarred, unmatched success.
Edited by Wulf on 9/16/2011 12:30 PM PDT
Please refrain from generating Blizzard opinions on your own, unless you are a Blizzard employee. But fine, if you want to cut off possible responses because you feel you are entitled to speak for them, and that your opinion is correct, I ask you to please do it in another thread.
Oh, and don't include Blizzard, Blue, or any community managers name in the title, as it may be deleted as a result, despite this one not being deleted.
Edited by Psuedonaut on 9/16/2011 12:32 PM PDT

Is there dissent between the CMs and the people working on the games?

No.

Some dissent is healthy, no dissent risks group think and being blind to obvious problems.
Edited by Uhoh on 9/16/2011 12:34 PM PDT
09/16/2011 12:33 PMPosted by Uhoh
Some dissent is healthy, no dissent risks group think and being blind to obvious problems.

09/15/2011 07:57 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Dissent is a strange word to use in this context, but I'll choose to interpret it as 'disagree'. There's no strife between us - we're all friends, essentially. Just like any other human beings we might disagree from time to time.

I think that about sums it up.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]