Diablo® III

How does Blizz feel about D3/beta/community?

(Locked)

I smell Nerdrage
85 Worgen Hunter
09/16/2011 03:19 PMPosted by Itsatrap
I'm sad that you ignored me Daxxarri
I'm sad that your sad.
Community Manager
09/16/2011 01:42 PMPosted by Protoss
So does this mean people have impact on how the game turns out and so you making the game based on what people think it should be and not what you guys think it should be like?

I'm not a developer, so this is just my impression of the process, but I think the simplest answer is that we both respond to player feedback and stick to our guns when it's the right thing to do. We're always creating the games we want to create, but there's no reason why player feedback can't influence that process; it's not an either or proposition.

09/16/2011 02:33 PMPosted by Ryan
do you ever use your position as a Blizzard employee (knowing the people who have the power to do stuff), to get said person in trouble (ie temp ban)?

I try to live by the maxim that the measure of a person is not how they treat those of equal or greater station, but how they treat those over whom they have power. If someone is breaking the rules while we're playing in-game, then we'll report them using the appropriate in-game channels and let our support staff handle the rest -- just as any other player would.

09/16/2011 03:19 PMPosted by Itsatrap
I'm sad that you ignored me Daxxarri

Aw, sorry about that. What was your question?
85 Undead Mage
I think the design of a game is what will contribute partially to a good or not so good community. There will always be the trolls and do baddies of the internet, so not everything a developer can do will totally weed out the bad apples.

Diablo 1 multiplayer wasn't the greatest in that friendly fire was always on. If you didn't play with buddies, then that tends to create more enemies (pkers) than friends. Diablo 2 was much better but still didn't quite take the pk away as being able to hostile and ruin other's fun. They did patch in some things but still if someone wanted to grief, they could. Both games also shared loot drops which wasn't exactly a bonding experience amongst strangers.

So take those 2 points, and those two games weren't (in a lot of cases) newb or casual friendly for players wanting to group with random others. Don't get me wrong, there are good peeps out there that try their best to have a fun time in public games. But its the idea that a player up to no good can follow the rules of a game and start trashing the experience of others, can result in community decline.

I'm sure there have been players that had very little exposure to others up to no good, so this might not apply to them. But Blizzard has to expect the worst so that's why they add or subtract what they think is good for the game. Diablo 3 separates pvp from pvm completely as far as I know, and each person in a group has their own loot drops that no one else can touch. Some are upset over those changes as they feel it reduces some of the excitement or edge that those old designs gave to D 1/2, and that the only thing D 3 is good for is finding new loot. That is what the Diablo franchise is all about, finding that loot, and having fun doing it.

With D2 there were all sorts of hacks and item dupes that a new item could be faked and inserted into battle.net that would give the owner god status. And people shelled out real cash for those items ad nauseam. This essentially added the IWIN button for those who were willing to pay. On top of that, add people getting ripped off and not getting what they paid for; all of this added animosity and elitism into the community. Now you have the AH, RMAH, and online only play incorporated into D 3. Yes, the ability to buy your way into better gear still doesn't sit well for some, but at least there won't be any large scale dupes or outrageous faked items circulating into the game. If there would happen to be, I know Blizz has the tools to deal with removing said items and players from the game pretty swiftly. The more closed a system is the more power is in the hands of the developers to stop the bad and foster the good.

Making Diablo 3 more co-op oriented will, in the long run, help the community as a whole. It will be easier to create net friends within the game rather than having to hunt for them on forums or a clan site. D3 will be a micro MMO, but a powerhouse ARPG.
Does it bother you when people don't seem to read the "Welcome! Please Read" thread?
Or is it just me that thinks that there are lots of threads (sadly even my own), that seem to ignore it?
Edited by Psuedonaut on 9/16/2011 4:09 PM PDT
Community Manager
09/16/2011 04:04 PMPosted by Itsatrap
I mean if you can't take a second to look a page or two back and see what I wrote in response to your post that i quoted, given the nature of my post then just forget it - i feel bad - I don't think the nature of its my post's) peaceful and optimistic content could now be appreciated.

Oh, I just misunderstood. I thought that was more of a rhetorical question.

We usually talk about the Blizzard family in terms of the people employed at Blizzard. I don't think it's much of a stretch to suggest that sharing a hobby can create a strong bond between people that don't otherwise know one another, though. Still, I think I'll stick with the word community, though, because I think it really encapsulates all the various kinds of people that play our games.

Does it bother you when people don't seem to read the "Welcome! Please Read" thread?
Or is it just me that thinks that there are lots of threads (sadly even my own), that seem to ignore it?

I would like everyone to be aware of the forum guidelines both for for their own well being and a better posting environment. That aside, if I allowed it to bother me, then I would probably have already imploded by now.
Edited by Daxxarri on 9/16/2011 4:41 PM PDT
Community Manager
09/16/2011 04:48 PMPosted by hunts
:( Now my question(s) got skipped and were only a few posts up :(

Yes to both! I wasn't expecting this thread to turn into a Q&A though.
09/16/2011 04:54 PMPosted by Daxxarri
:( Now my question(s) got skipped and were only a few posts up :(

Yes to both! I wasn't expecting this thread to turn into a Q&A though.

Would you like to take the initiative and post your own feelings about the beta/community as stated by the OP?

09/16/2011 04:38 PMPosted by Daxxarri
I would like everyone to be aware of the forum guidelines both for for their own well being and a better posting environment. That aside, if I allowed it to bother me, then I would probably have already imploded by now.

I feel partly responsible for making that thread. Sorry >_>
But.... it was a sign of the beta! I rushed straight to making it.

Anyway, it sounds like you're an Archivist. Gotta avoid using Shh....
Community Manager
09/16/2011 05:07 PMPosted by Psuedonaut
Would you like to take the initiative and post your own feelings about the beta/community as stated by the OP?

So far, you guys are awesome.

*raises clenched fist*

/supervillain voice

Do not disappoint me
17 Troll Druid
So when does the closed beta begin? Today? Weekend? Monday?

So far, you guys are awesome.

*raises clenched fist*

/supervillain voice

Do not disappoint me

Of course I won't!

*wanders off to create "Blizzard thinks we're awesome" thread*

Just kidding, not obeying my supreme overlords, ba ha ha ha who'd do that.

Edit: It's funny because I did earlier.

09/16/2011 05:17 PMPosted by hunts
hahah you and bashiok are awesome :D

This^
Edited by Psuedonaut on 9/16/2011 5:48 PM PDT
Oh, how do you guys feel at Blizzard when you see giant threads giving points and counterpoints etc for a game we have barely played any of the content on, if even that?
Edited by Psuedonaut on 9/16/2011 7:00 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]