Diablo® III

How does Blizz feel about D3/beta/community?

(Locked)

Snarf snarf
09/16/2011 04:54 PMPosted by Daxxarri
:( Now my question(s) got skipped and were only a few posts up :(

Yes to both! I wasn't expecting this thread to turn into a Q&A though.

I know you guys don't want to commit to a date because you are going to release the beta/game when it's ready, not due to some date that was pre-determined. I totally understand that. I work in an industry where it's opposite, and if we don't meet our promise dates, the government reps get angry at us, and it only hurts our products IMO.

But would it be that hard for Blizzard to tell us: "The beta isn't coming this weekend" or this week or whatever? I assume that Blizzard should at least know for the most part when it's not on the horizon. We don't need commitment dates, we know you aren't going to give us those. But just some additional info would be real nice to save our F5 keys. ;)

Yes to both! I wasn't expecting this thread to turn into a Q&A though.

I know you guys don't want to commit to a date because you are going to release the beta/game when it's ready, not due to some date that was pre-determined. I totally understand that. I work in an industry where it's opposite, and if we don't meet our promise dates, the government reps get angry at us, and it only hurts our products IMO.

But would it be that hard for Blizzard to tell us: "The beta isn't coming this weekend" or this week or whatever? I assume that Blizzard should at least know for the most part when it's not on the horizon. We don't need commitment dates, we know you aren't going to give us those. But just some additional info would be real nice to save our F5 keys. ;)

How bout,
What time range do you estimate is least likely, the time from now until the nearest Blizzcon, announced during the nearest Blizzcon, after the nearest Blizzcon?

Edit: It's not at all committal, while still giving us a vague and rough estimate.
Edited by Psuedonaut on 9/16/2011 6:59 PM PDT
Community Manager
09/16/2011 06:49 PMPosted by Oketh
Snarf snarf

I don't trust anyone who uses their own name as a catch phrase.

Oh, how do you guys feel at Blizzard when you see giant threads giving points and counterpoints etc for a game we have barely played any of the content on, let alone even seen any?

I think it's just an indication of excitement and anticipation. As long as it doesn't get too strident, it's actually pretty cool. Of course, until more solid information emerges, most of those discussions are academic, though they have generated some points of interest for the dev team.
Edited by Daxxarri on 9/16/2011 7:02 PM PDT
Have you ever read a post on the forums that's made you just go, "Holy cow! That's genius! He's really onto something!" and gone to share it with the rest of the team as soon as you can?

How often do you share various ideas generated on the forums with the rest of the Blizzard team?

I try to live by the maxim that the measure of a person is not how they treat those of equal or greater station, but how they treat those over whom they have power. If someone is breaking the rules while we're playing in-game, then we'll report them using the appropriate in-game channels and let our support staff handle the rest -- just as any other player would.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
~Samuel Johnson 1762
What was your first game of D3 like? Was it in alpha stage? A brief look at the work the devs were doing? What are the changes that have been gone through since then? What's your first game from when it's released going to be like? Pub gaming instantly? Private game with other Blizzard friends? Solo play? What're your thoughts on the progression of D3 as you've seen it?

Edit: Have you ever had a conversation with Cleverbot? Want to share it?
Edit 2: How do you normally run across threads? Look in the first page of general discussion? Bookmark threads? Leave them up?
Edited by Psuedonaut on 9/16/2011 8:52 PM PDT
09/15/2011 06:46 PMPosted by Kakey
I feel good, coach. I feel real good. I'm ready to get out there and give 110%.

good game

/buttslap

YOU TOUCHED A CM'S BUTT!!! Ban him! :P
Like my original thread about some questions on development, I thought that adding them here in this sort of Q&A would be a good idea even though its directed to the development. I like to shed some light on the gameplay and how community managers work, but I am also interested in how developers work also :)

OP: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3195920186

Extracted from it: What kind of tools do you mostly use for bugs, continuous integration and such. I'm wondering if Blizzard is using tools like FogBuz or Jira/Confluence/Bamboo and things like that and also if they tend to have separate methodologies between their different districts (but I am specially concerned about the Diablo team). I know most of the tools are internal and may be not be suitable to disclosure, but having some kind of "behind the scenes" about the development would be awesome.

Also, what kind of methodology do you employ?, I'm thinking that you guys are probably using the agile manifesto with the iterative approach, something like Scrum (you stated numerous times that you iterate, and that is indeed part of the Agile process and Scrum Framework), or do you have use an in-house agile methodology?
Edited by Maddos on 9/16/2011 9:32 PM PDT
Like my original thread about some questions on development, I thought that adding them here in this sort of Q&A would be a good idea even though its directed to the development. I like to shed some light on the gameplay and how community managers work, but I am also interested in how developers work also :)

The community managers aren't developers. Your original thread didn't get an answer so this one probably won't either. Write them a letter if your truly interested, I don't think you will ever get a response for your questions on the general forum.
In other news Blue posts with out the answer "soon" are they a myth or not. You decide tomorrow night at 6PM EST.

No but seriously loving the good solid answers good stuff and keep up the good work.
100 Troll Mage
How does it make you feel when someone claims buying your games obligates you to creating the game they want? Do you think there's any truth to that?

What about when people say "we just want to have fun" in response to another posters' suggestions? Not "I don't think that would be fun," but "it's a game, it should be fun." How do you respond to that way of thinking?

How do you handle that on a daily basis?
85 Blood Elf Priest
Daxxarri --- Best Community Manager I've ever seen.Love You XD.
09/17/2011 04:47 AMPosted by Itsatrap

So far, you guys are awesome.

*raises clenched fist*

/supervillain voice

Do not disappoint me

If they do disappoint, I will meet you on the battlefield to fight on behalf of the honour of my brothers. In glorious combat there shall be restoration and rebirth.

You stand alone yet fight for us all.
I salute your bravery.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]