Diablo® III

How did Diablo come back?

85 Orc Death Knight
After hours and hours of research and putting together fragments of lore, I have determined the OFFICIAL EXPLANATION!

Mephisto is most likely gone cuz he was a scrub and got farmed 10,000,000 times by MF sorcs.

Baal blew up into 1,000 ghost heads and flew off to go talk to himself all day long about how he never expected to be killed since people would just farm his minions and leave him alone.

Diablo however was a bit trickier than his brothers. While most people believe his soulstone was destroyed, he had a back up plan. While sitting patiently in the depths of hell underneath the cathedral in diablo 1, he read all seven of the harry potter books (they were released a lot earlier in hell than on earth). He became a great fan of Voldemort and said "minions! i want a horcrux in case someone smashes my soul rock with a hammer someday!" so his minions went forth and invaded sanctum in search for a good horcrux to please diablo. but demons not being too smart ripped open the portal to hell in the depths of a church in a little sleepy down called tristram. not being able to turn any holy items into a good horcrux, they ventured forth and raided the town of tristram. demons also being very lazy merely ripped the leg off the first kid they found. when presented with the leg diablo said "fine whatever this leg shall be my secret horcrux" as he was over the harry potter books since he realized his spells were a lot more badass than Voldemort's and wasn't gonna get beaten by some seventeen year-old kid with no parents. Breaking off a shard of his soulstone he jabbed it into the leg and threw it into a dark corner in the tristram cathedral for safe keeping. The kid survived and even got a wooden peg leg. he lived a short and miserable life on the outskirts of town ripping adventurers off by overcharging them for mediocre magical items. Though diablo was eventually defeated (prob a 17 year-old kid playing warrior) and the cathedral raided, the boy's original leg was never found. Diablo eventually came back with his 2 brothers and messed up the world again. this time tristram was raided and destroyed and the boy killed. many adventurers hated the boy so much they went back to get the boy's peg leg, steal their gold back, leave the body there, and use the leg in demonic cow rituals. Diablo and his brothers were defeated, their fates each mentioned above. But unknown to the world, when all evil was defeated from Sanctum for the second time, a leg in a dark corner in the depths of the cathedral began to glow. It took many years but diablo channeled his soul into the forgotten leg and grew it into his new demonic body. He channeled so much power into creating his new body it caused a great explosion in the cathedral making a giant glowing crater through it (you can see this crater in beta gameplay videos). He exploded into the world again shouting "B!TC#E$ DON'T KNOW 'BOUT MY HORCRUXES!" Thus diablo walked the earth once again filling the cathedral with demons and skeleton kings before disappearing to his secret hideout.

So after much explanation, it is my belief that diablo was reborn via Wirt's original missing leg. and THAT my friend's, is how wirt's leg will be worked into diablo 3.

I actually read it.
Reply Quote
09/19/2011 08:07 PMPosted by
I actually read it.
Reply Quote
Sanctuary isn't a scorched warzone because the Angels and Demons made a pact after the end of the Sin Wars to leave humanity to their own devices for as long as the truce holds.

Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal wouldn't be destroyed by the destruction of the Soulstones because they merely contained their essence. When the 3 masterminded their own exile and were banished to Sanctuary their physical bodies in Hell were destroyed from what we understand.

This would certainly have been more likely to have "Killed" them than Soulstones being shattered. But you're not talking about people, these are demons. In many respects the over all lore for the Diablo series in some respects leads me to believe that Angels and Demons are mirroring some of the traits of the Greek Gods (who couldn't be killed). They were neither good, nor bad, but acted in accordance with what they were--whatever they were.

Tyrael represents justice, therefore, whether he likes it or not... he upholds justice. That's who and what he is, he is the living embodiment of Justice. Diablo is the living embodiment of Terror. Doesn't matter how many axes, fireballs, or arrows you throw at it, Terror isn't going to die.

In this respect there is no conflict at all with "But I thought I smashed his Soulstone?" how they managed to make it into Diablo 3. Given the fact that this is the last one of the series and things actually climax to a kind of conclusion it'll be interesting to see how the story ends when the expansions are all said and done.
Reply Quote
most likely some part of Diablo was put into adriah when she and the DW got it on and now leah will be turned into him........

comments.....yuck

You're thinking of Warcraft with Sargeras and Aegwynn and Medivh.

Oh wait......

This is why I think Deckard Cain should have gotten in on the action as well.
Reply Quote
If you could kill them by simply destroying their soulstones then Tal Rasha and the others would've done so instead of sacrificing Tal Rasha to contain Baal.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
You are right. The soulstones were created BY the Horadrim, or by Tyrael himself to contain the prime evils within it and then keep them imprisoned into sanctuary forever.
But they learned how to corrupt the stone, and when Marius removed it from Tla rasha's body, Tyrael called Marius a fool and ordered him to destroy it in hellforge, using the portal to hell, which Marius, of course, lacked of courage to do.
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm sure it was a Worldstone-related thing that made it possible for him to come back, even in his weakened state. Or someone prying into things they shouldn't have. Or a backup plan that was set in motion prior to his defeat in Diablo 2.

There are lots of avenues for it.
Reply Quote
First of all, The 3 never needed soulstones to be alive (those were artifacts that Tyrael gave the horadrim to contain the greater evils)... None of the lesser evils are trapped in soulstones yet they can live in the human realm.
It was suppoused that in hellforge you would be able to destroy the soulstones with the souls that they cointained... But WTF it was in hell, in DIABLO's F...ing Home, so probably he tampered it somehow, not to destroy them but to release them.
So, mephisto and Diablo got free from their soulstones and now they're more powerful than before, and ball... Well he was never really trapped in anything but tal'rasha so it seems they walk free again.
But why are the lesser evils now intrested in the human realm, is it possible that they're trying to fing were the prime evils are or are they here to destroy them for good? (and take over hell once again)
Reply Quote
After hours and hours of research and putting together fragments of lore, I have determined the OFFICIAL EXPLANATION!

Mephisto is most likely gone cuz he was a scrub and got farmed 10,000,000 times by MF sorcs.

Baal blew up into 1,000 ghost heads and flew off to go talk to himself all day long about how he never expected to be killed since people would just farm his minions and leave him alone.

Diablo however was a bit trickier than his brothers. While most people believe his soulstone was destroyed, he had a back up plan. While sitting patiently in the depths of hell underneath the cathedral in diablo 1, he read all seven of the harry potter books (they were released a lot earlier in hell than on earth). He became a great fan of Voldemort and said "minions! i want a horcrux in case someone smashes my soul rock with a hammer someday!" so his minions went forth and invaded sanctum in search for a good horcrux to please diablo. but demons not being too smart ripped open the portal to hell in the depths of a church in a little sleepy down called tristram. not being able to turn any holy items into a good horcrux, they ventured forth and raided the town of tristram. demons also being very lazy merely ripped the leg off the first kid they found. when presented with the leg diablo said "fine whatever this leg shall be my secret horcrux" as he was over the harry potter books since he realized his spells were a lot more badass than Voldemort's and wasn't gonna get beaten by some seventeen year-old kid with no parents. Breaking off a shard of his soulstone he jabbed it into the leg and threw it into a dark corner in the tristram cathedral for safe keeping. The kid survived and even got a wooden peg leg. he lived a short and miserable life on the outskirts of town ripping adventurers off by overcharging them for mediocre magical items. Though diablo was eventually defeated (prob a 17 year-old kid playing warrior) and the cathedral raided, the boy's original leg was never found. Diablo eventually came back with his 2 brothers and messed up the world again. this time tristram was raided and destroyed and the boy killed. many adventurers hated the boy so much they went back to get the boy's peg leg, steal their gold back, leave the body there, and use the leg in demonic cow rituals. Diablo and his brothers were defeated, their fates each mentioned above. But unknown to the world, when all evil was defeated from Sanctum for the second time, a leg in a dark corner in the depths of the cathedral began to glow. It took many years but diablo channeled his soul into the forgotten leg and grew it into his new demonic body. He channeled so much power into creating his new body it caused a great explosion in the cathedral making a giant glowing crater through it (you can see this crater in beta gameplay videos). He exploded into the world again shouting "B!TC#E$ DON'T KNOW 'BOUT MY HORCRUXES!" Thus diablo walked the earth once again filling the cathedral with demons and skeleton kings before disappearing to his secret hideout.

So after much explanation, it is my belief that diablo was reborn via Wirt's original missing leg. and THAT my friend's, is how wirt's leg will be worked into diablo 3.

+10

For making me laughing, i read it all ;p. but u forgot to mention second hoax being inside of Adria's as a baby after woeing her when he came back inside of dark wonderer.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Obama is the Dark wonderer
Reply Quote
I was under the impression that Destroying a soulstone wouldn't kill a prime evil tied to it, but simply prevent them from Manifesting in the Sanctuary. Of course with the world stone gone, that wouldn't have mattered. And Diablo could still launch his attack from Hell as per planned.
Reply Quote
09/19/2011 10:06 PMPosted by Auspicious
Sanctuary isn't a scorched warzone because the Angels and Demons made a pact after the end of the Sin Wars to leave humanity to their own devices for as long as the truce holds.

This actually isn't true at all, in fact the events of Diablo One and Two are taking place in the sin war. The sin war isn't over, in fact we aren't sure why it took 20 years after the destruction of the worldstone for an invasion to occur.

Baal's soulstone was damaged, which is why Tal-Rasha had to sacrifice himself to hold Baal there for eternity, a fight which he lost. In fact, Izaul showed the 3 how to corrupt the soulstones power, which leads me to believe that the soulstones were kind of inconsequential in terms of the 'life' of the Prime Evils.

We really only 'killed' the mortal forms of the Prime Evils. In D2 we killed the supreme council leader or whatever that mephisto had possessed, the dark wandered in which diablo resided, and Baal, who i am going to assume was jammin' in up in Tal Rasha.

Lets not forget that the reason that the 3 Evils are on the mortal plane to begin with, was because two of the lesser evils got angry with them for focusing on the mortals of sanctuary to use a pawn in the Sin War. In fact, that is what the Sin War is, is Heaven and Hell fighting for the allegiance of mortals.

So by busting their soulstones, i think we just banished them off the mortal plane. Remember that while in the soulstones, the 3 Prime evil's power was greatly diminshed (Diablo had a tought time corrupting king leoric, and had to settle for a kid instead!!). So it might have taken 20 years for them to get back up to full power. This doesn't mean we are going to be vastly underpowered, because the worldstone was holding us back to begin with.

09/24/2011 11:09 PMPosted by FiveTwelve
I was under the impression that Destroying a soulstone wouldn't kill a prime evil tied to it, but simply prevent them from Manifesting in the Sanctuary. Of course with the world stone gone, that wouldn't have mattered. And Diablo could still launch his attack from Hell as per planned.

This is what i think is for the most part true. But, when diablo, baal, and mephisto initially got banished to Sanctuary, they were alive in all their demony goodness, which is why the Horadrim had to capture them in the bits of the worldstone given to them by Tyrael, which we lovingly call the soulstones. Breaking the soulstones would logically cause them to lose their 'real' tie to Sanctuary.
[/nerd]

Want to ask a guy who knows way too much about diablo lore questions about the plot and !@#$? Hit me.
Edited by PeachPit on 9/28/2011 8:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My take on it is this. The "falling star" seen in the beta is a remnant of the World Stone (and possibly Tyreal with it). This falling star being incredibly corrupted with evil energy could give strength to something Diablo might have left in Tristram (a possible reason for his return). Also, Leah is presumed to be the wanderer's daughter meaning she in some way has a connection to Diablo.

So the falling star fell and "oh SNIKIES! Demons abound!" Most likely Diablo and his schmuck brothers corralled Belial, Azmodan and Lilith (the remaining lesser evils after you killed of Andariel and Duriel. Given what Diablo looked like in both D1 and D2 I think the demon we saw in the trailer must be Belial or Azmodan as we have seen Mephisto (floaty skeleton covered in mist with 6 arms) and Baal (weird spider-crab humanoid demon).

Either way, Demons need to be put in their place. So stop surmising and when you get your chance, show em why they shouldn't walk the earth.
Reply Quote
in one of the opening pages i've seen it looked like the demon had three demonic heads so maybe Baal, Mephisto, and Diablo merged together, and used their combined power as well as the destroyed world stone weakening the barrier between hell and the sanctuary and with the arrival of the black star they broke out and Diablo took control of the new body.
Edited by plasmaman on 9/30/2011 5:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
he isnt back its bout the lesser evils the ones that threw diablo and his brothers out of hell
Reply Quote
he just pressed esc and suffered 10% durability loss
Reply Quote
Yeah, they definatly are going explain why destroying a soul stone wasn't enough. But, maybe this being the end of a trilogy we can kill diablo.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
On a note related to something said earlier... i always got the impression that Tyreal never actually told Marius to take Baal's soulstone to the hellforge, but Baal himself told him to. Its very much possible that Baal knew Marius lacked the courage to step through that portal and counted on Marius' cowardice to keep the soulstone shard hidden away from the reaches of Tyreal.

We all know that Baal has imitated Tyreal before, when he got the soulstone back from Marius, do we know how many other occasions he has done so? Would we know if he has?

Was it really Tyreal who destroyed the worldstone at the end of LoD? or did Baal's plan succeed when he took on the form of Tyreal and sent the hero away so he could finish his work?

Silly i know, but this is what i used to think was the case like 8 years ago when i first played. Food for thought.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]