Diablo® III

Diablo I and II stories

I've never played Diablo and played Diablo II when i was less than 10 years old, so i could really care less about the game story line that time. But now i really like and mind knowing the whole game story when playing it and hate to play "blind" through sequels.

I really don't feel like playing Diablo I and II before Diablo III is released because i dont have much time to do that, so i would like to know if there is any site where i can read a detailed version of those first game's stories. Because you can't really understand much with those summarized versions on wikipedia and such.
Reply Quote
Well you sir are in luck. I created the lore section for the Worldstone keep for just such an occasion.

http://theworldstonekeep.com/

The tab for lore has 2 subsections, one for the world map and a little tidbit for each of the known locations, and the other for the overview of the whole story including the events leading up to Diablo 3. If you have any comments or suggestions feel free to leave them there.
Reply Quote
IMO Force did a pretty good job so far of summarizing the events of diablo so far, hes got 2 parts out, one for Pre D1 and one for D1 and will have another for D2

Pre D1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ghu8RzsWvs&feature=watch_response_rev

D1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg5EhW_ac5g&feature=player_embedded

Or, if you want i could type it out here, i actually like telling a game's story. whether or not i'm any good at it has yet to be determined though.
Reply Quote
Thank you so much for the answers so far. I am definitely checking those out and I would love to hear your version WillBill as well as looking forward to see what Shingan has to say.
Reply Quote
There will be the upcoming 144 page Diablo III: Book of Cain, a reference guidebook for players to turn to that basically fills in the 20 years gap since the events of last Diablo game, other material from the time of D1-LOD, whatever previous events and lore prior to D1. Not your traditional Blizzard novel.

This for newcomers who may wish to help understand Sanctuary and the lore but don't wish to play D3's predecessors. But also for the vets to fill themselves of the 20 year of silence from Heaven and Hell etc.

DIABLO III: BOOK OF CAIN - Product Description:
In Blizzard Entertainment’s Diablo® and Diablo II, the recurring character of Deckard Cain delivered quests, accompanied the brave adventurer, and, as the last of the Horadrim, provided a link to the greater history of the world of Sanctuary. Ever mysterious during these appearances, Cain hinted at a larger story, providing snippets of it in his notebook. Diablo III: Book of Cain is Cain’s formal record of this greater tale—a dissertation on the lore of the Diablo universe, told by one who has witnessed and participated in some of the epic events that make up the eternal conflict between the High Heavens and the Burning Hells.

Designed as an “in-world” artifact from the Diablo universe, Diablo III: Book of Cain includes Cain’s revealing meditations, as well as dozens of sketches and color artworks depicting the angelic and demonic beings who wage constant war with one another.

For players of the eagerly anticipated Diablo III, this mysterious tome will provide a deeper understanding of the franchise and its storyline.
Reply Quote
Does this book explains the first 2 games stories?
Reply Quote
I well I'm not defiantly sure if Metzen mention about what would be full game related contents in Book of Cain in one those recent ComicCon videos, but its possible Blizzard will have BoC recap the previous events.

If not you can just read through these links have covered the matter some what: http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/lore/journal.xml (Deckard Cain's Journal) and http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/world/timeline.xml (Diablo Timeline) to get a quick, and rough idea how the game's plotline worked out.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
@Rato:

The core of the plot of the first 2 games are what Shingas has posted above through all thoses texts. But there are inumerous details, important to completely understand the plot that lies on the books, which you can find at blizzard store. This new book will probably focus on the 20 year gap between D2 and D3, and therefor will have a lack on info regarding the first 2 games.

The lore is preety much inconsistent in some points if if make detailed comparisons between books and the games. But nothing that compromises the whole stuff.
I would say that is a good idea for you too look for the cinematics of Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 and Diablo2:LOD on YT. They contain preety goo information on the plot too, mainly for D2 LOD, which story is narrated by Marius.

Reply Quote
zomg, I love Diablo lore, I could just read it all day. If there was an unending series of it, I would.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]