Diablo® III

DH skills and Weapon Damage.

Hi folks,

So, I've got some concerns here, mostly based around the Demon Hunter and the way its skills are built in conjunction with its resource system. No one seems to visit the Class-specific forums, so I thought I'd try here.

If you take a look at the Monk and the Barbarian, they both use a 'rage' mechanic for their respective resources. You use skills to build up the resource, and then use different skills to empty it.

This works. If you use a big, heavy, slow two-hander, you'll build rage or spirit slower, but your resource spenders will do more damage. If you use a couple of fast, lower-damage weapons, you'll build rage or spirit at a much faster rate and use less-powerful spenders more often. This is cool, it all evens out in the end, more or less.

Hatred and Discipline do not work this way. The DH has to wait until its resources replenish to use its skills again.

Considering this, why would anyone prefer to use faster, lower damage weapons? You have to spend twice the amount of resources to put out the same damage, with no way to mitigate that outside of using specific passives or runes that, while possibly solving this problem, diminish your potential damage and/or utility by denying you the use of other runes.

I realize that Blizzard is doing some work with the Demon Hunter, but it doesn't sound like they're really planning on overhauling the system or anything. The only way these kinds of problems worked themselves out in DII was because every class used Mana and Mana leech was rampant almost exclusively to solve this kind of problem.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
Sign of beta
Reply Quote
sign of thread
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
It will be simple for Blizzard to fix through a combination of either increased regen for Hatred/Discipline or reduced resource costs of DH skills. That can all be done in a single balance pass before release.
Reply Quote
09/20/2011 11:27 AMPosted by Thander
It will be simple for Blizzard to fix through a combination of either increased regen for Hatred/Discipline or reduced resource costs of DH skills. That can all be done in a single balance pass before release.

Doesn't matter what you do to the numbers, as long as DH skills are based on weapon damage and the resource is at a static regen rate, slower, higher base damage weapons will always be better.

Reply Quote
since they aren't balancing pvp ... they should reduce the cost of spells.
So we can spam it like the Wizard
Reply Quote

Doesn't matter what you do to the numbers, as long as DH skills are based on weapon damage and the resource is at a static regen rate, slower, higher base damage weapons will always be better.

Excellent post HRP, Blizzard will definitely have to look into this.

My only answer to you now is, if you plan on going a heavy Hatred spending build, (use a 2-h weapon). If you plan on using a build that takes advantage of Demon Hunter's base damage, use two 1-handed weapons.
Reply Quote
1) They have already stated that they are revisiting issues with the DH's resource

2) It's just as much an issue for every other class, however. Any skill with a cooldown will benefit more from higher damage at the expense of faster attack/cast rate. Many of the monk's spirit spenders aren't weapon-based damage skills which means they benefit more from faster attacks, like breath of heaven.
Reply Quote
I don't really feel like there are low damage fast speed bows out there. They are all slow. The closest you get us hand crossbows, and since those are made to be dual-wielded, this can be easily balanced by just adding the damage of both together for skills with weapon damage modifiers.

In short, I think this is a non issue, and there is no balance concern here.
Reply Quote
why would anyone prefer to use faster, lower damage weapons? You have to spend twice the amount of resources to put out the same damage

they've simplified this by giving us the Damage per Second of each weapon, included in that is it's attack speed.

a 250dps crossbow with 5x attack speed is the same as a 250dps bow with 2x attack speed
Reply Quote
I don't really feel like there are low damage fast speed bows out there. They are all slow. The closest you get us hand crossbows, and since those are made to be dual-wielded, this can be easily balanced by just adding the damage of both together for skills with weapon damage modifiers.

In short, I think this is a non issue, and there is no balance concern here.

Doesn't work this way. When you fire a Bola, it will fire from just one of your one-handed crossbows and use solely its base weapon damage, not DPS.

they've simplified this by giving us the Damage per Second of each weapon, included in that is it's attack speed.

a 250dps crossbow with 5x attack speed is the same as a 250dps bow with 2x attack speed

I'm not talking auto-attack, I'm talking skills here. Bola, Strafe, Rapid Fire, etc. When a skill says Percentage of Weapon Damage, they mean weapon damage, not DPS.
Edited by HRP on 9/20/2011 1:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i thought of the same thing actually. And Like you I'm pretty clueless on how they plan to go around balancing it. It really does seem better just to get the biggest damage bow and use that.
Reply Quote
Considering this, why would anyone prefer to use faster, lower damage weapons? You have to spend twice the amount of resources to put out the same damage, with no way to mitigate that outside of using specific passives or runes that, while possibly solving this problem, diminish your potential damage and/or utility by denying you the use of other runes.

Guys, has anyone heard of how elemental damage or enchants on weapons works for the new percent weapon damage skills?
Will the plus frost damage on a weapon get added to the skill cast?
Will the skill have any frost damage properties? Maybe only partial since there is a part of the weapon that deals the range of frost damage?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]