Diablo® III

I don't get "combos"

85 Human Rogue
EP
Can someone explain the "combo" system like i'm 5 years old?
Reply Quote
each combo skill has 3 steps to it's combo.
you can press the skills in any order.
the first skill you use uses it's 1st step attack.
the second skill you use uses it's 2nd sequence.
the third skill you use uses it's 3rd sequence.

so let's say you have deadly reach, crippling strike, and exploding palm as your combo skills.
if you click: deadly reach -> crippling strike -> exploding palm
you will use the first sequence of deadly reach, the second sequence of crippling strike, and the third hit of exploding palm.

You have a short period of time between each attack to initiate the next sequence or else you reset and use the first hit again.

after you use the third strike, no matter what ability you used, the equence timing starts over.
so the next time you could start with Crippling strike->exploding palm -> deadly reach
The result now is first stage crippling strike, second stage exploding palm, third stage deadly reach.

you can also reuse the same skill in a combo interchangably. so you can use:
crippling strike -> crippling stike -> exploding palm
so now you use the first and second stages of crippling strike and finish the third with exploding palm.
Edited by Wizerdree on 9/20/2011 6:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
They basically took the good parts outa the crappy Assassin and put them into the monk ^_^
Reply Quote
To put it another way, every combo skill (most of the spirit generating attacks, I believe), has the following built into it:

"Here's what this does if you use it as the FIRST of three quick attacks."
"Here's what it does if you use it as the SECOND of three attacks."
"Here's the big nasty effect it does if you use it as the THIRD of three attacks."

The descriptions in the game guide seem to indicate that there is no difference in results if you use these skills as the first or second of three; only using a skill as the third in a sequence of three unleashes its extra powerful effect.

So decide (ahead of time or in the midst of combat) what you want the big finisher effect to be as your third hit, and then choose the first two hits according to their normal effects, such as rune effects that debuff the mobs, buff your armor, etc.

As Wizerdree said, the three skills used do not have to be unique. If you have combo skills A, B, and C on your bar, you can do any of these combinations:

ABC (C's big effect will go off at the end)
ACB (B's big effect will go off at the end)
AAC (etc.)
BBB
BAB
CCA
etc., etc.
Reply Quote
awesome descriptions. I was at first unclear about this as well. as anyone confirmed a hard time for combo reset?
Edited by Felk on 9/21/2011 9:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/21/2011 09:40 AMPosted by Felk
awesome descriptions. I was at first unclear about this as well. as anyone confirmed a hard time for combo reset?

If you mean the window between attacks past which it will reset the counter to attack #1, I saw 0.6 seconds somewhere, but I couldn't recall where I read that or how official it is.
Reply Quote
09/21/2011 09:46 AMPosted by Xanthippus

If you mean the window between attacks past which it will reset the counter to attack #1, I saw 0.6 seconds somewhere, but I couldn't recall where I read that or how official it is.

yes, that is what I was asking about, thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Thank you guys for the very detailed explanation. I really do hope that I get into the beta to try out the game :(
Reply Quote
Thanks for the thread and the detailed explanation. I had a completely different understanding of combos.

This brings up a couple of questions:
1. Do combos get built up only by "blue" attacks, i.e. spirit generators? or do "gold" attacks count as well?
2. I suspect the answer is blue only and if so, then what happens when you weave in gold attacks? E.g. C Wave - C Wave - Dashing Strike - Lashing Tail Kick - Exploding Palm? Does the combo points reset when you break the blue "chain"?

Thanks.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
the monk combo system sounds fun actually. Thanks for the info!
Reply Quote
if done within the timing between segments it shouldn't break the combo, i think. Keep in mind that most yellow skills take too long to be woven in given the tiny time window to not break the combo. So the hard answer may be "no" but because of animation speeds it's a soft "yes" about breaking combos.
Edited by Wizerdree on 9/21/2011 3:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I looked around and couldn't find an answer in a more recent thread.

Does the combo system still work this way (hit 3 of the spirit building skills in a row to do a combo)? I know we're LOTS of patches after this discussion and I've had trouble making combos work in the current patch (patch 12).
Edited by Lusus on 2/7/2012 2:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Yes, still able to weave attacks for spirit generators.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
09/21/2011 09:07 AMPosted by Xanthippus
The descriptions in the game guide seem to indicate that there is no difference in results if you use these skills as the first or second of three; only using a skill as the third in a sequence of three unleashes its extra powerful effect.

Some attacks can be runed to have effects on first or second hits, but other than that, this is accurate as well.
Reply Quote
Also worth noting that certain combo generators such as fist of thunder are much faster than others. So you could for example do FoT x 2, then the AoE finisher of your choice. This doesn't have too big of impact in the beta since odds are if you want to AoE you'll just do all 3 hits as aoe.
But with Runes that let first hits teleport, and last third hits giving buffs it can become a bit of a strategic choice. I.e. forgoing max AoE DPS to get in range quicker and then get the best buff up immediately.
Reply Quote
I like the sounds of that
Reply Quote
if done within the timing between segments it shouldn't break the combo, i think. Keep in mind that most yellow skills take too long to be woven in given the tiny time window to not break the combo.

Tried that in Beta: Skills like Dashing Strike or Lashing Tail kick seem to break your combo no matter how fast you are. But you may use instant abilities such as a mantra or the direct heal in between combos without breaking them, which is pretty neat. Actually you may just hold down a spirit generator button (which will execute the attack over an over again), and then use your mantra or healing spell while doing so.
Edited by D3BETA on 2/12/2012 1:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
Is there a diff between hit number 1 and hit number 2 of the same spirit generator? Or is the third strike the only different one in the sequence?
Reply Quote
wow necro from sept to feb.

Anyway, there may or may not be a difference depending on the skill
FoT for example goes punch punch AoE
Deadly reach hits further with each strike.
If you find a video of Way of a hundred fists, you go E.Honda on the second strike.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]