Diablo® III

Unique Item Modifiers

85 Night Elf Hunter
I have to agree here with what's being said. I read over what was said in the topic on the other board and while I can see where the blues are coming from, I see more where the 'players' are coming from. While the runes are definitely a nice addition and a decent replacement for actual skills, I do agree that the gear is rather bland, and too much like WoW's gear. I understand that the items we see now are placeholders and not done, but even then that leaves me concerned for later on. I don't expect tons and tons of random affixes and things on the gear we do get, but I am worried that the 'WoW mentality' of gear will bleed through a bit too much and make the stuff uninteresting.

Without skill trees and attribute points there will be a much heavier focus on the current skills, runestones, and the only other thing left...gear. The first two seem decent enough to suffice, but that leaves gear, and gear is the biggest drive for people that play the Diablo games, including myself. Looking at the placeholder gear now, it seems that it's a bit too boring for my tastes, but hopefully that will change. What I AM NOT EXPECTING, or wanting are a bunch of broken attributes on weapons and gear (Hello Buriza and Enigma), but there should be other things there.

I think Blizzard might be banking a bit too much on Runestones with how many of them are providing things like knockback, stun, and things of that nature. I would like to see some of that stuff on gear and not just totally reliant on the Runestones, or even the enchants from Mystics. In fact, that also appears to be why the gemstones are now down to only 4 categories and the stats on them are...well...boring to say the least. No skulls or jewels either, but maybe those will come later? Blah...starting to ramble at this point. ><

Point is, is that while I see what Blizzard is doing, I can't help but shake the feeling that they might try and do some state 'streamlining' that really shouldn't be done. There needs to be variety on the gear, and again, while I know there won't be 'everything under the sun' from the start, I hope that it's more than just basic stats.
Reply Quote
I guess I don't see the whole picture yet, but runestones don't seem to add as much diversity as Blizzard is touting. I've played around with the calculator, and I just don't see alot of possibilities.

Wizard only has 1 or 2 skills to support a melee-type build. If the mods stay bland, this won't be a possibility like the melee sorc from D2. Basically, you're a caster, just depends on what element (or arcane) you like best. Boring.

Demon hunter either shoots grenades, sets traps, or fires arrows/rockets. I don't see alot of diversity there, even all the passives are designed for them to only be a ranged attacker with a few PBAOE for safety puposes. Boring.

Barbarian hits things, and sometimes sends out shockwaves. Where are the throwbarbs? Guess Madawc respecced after being killed first for the billionth time. No crybarbs? Sadface. Boring.

Only class with a bit of diversity is the monk, with the possibility to maybe play a caster (healer) or melee. Still, not enough to save all the other bland-unchanging archetypes.

I understand the current setup allows for numerous builds. The problem comes in, that all the builds are really an aesthetic difference. Diablo 2 allowed you literally to change your playstyle within a single class. The modifiers don't need to be OP, they just need to give somebody options, otherwise everyone will just use the same equipment (whatever has the most damage/armor/health etc).

Reply Quote
I agree the runestones are cool but they're putting all their eggs in one basket if this is the only item type we're gonna see creative mods. I do see a lot of "adds knockback!", "Chance to stun on crit!" "Resource gain on crit" stuff with runestones and these were a lot of former D2 mods.

However what's not to say gear can do some of this stuff too and how it could interact with certain runestones. Yeah some mods might be useless for certain classes and specs but I think with how stats have been normalized it shouldn't create too much of an issue with regards to 'trash gear'.

In addition I'm pretty sure there's some creative sorts that can come up with affixes/mods that are different from any runestone effect, or have more general use that modifying a single ability. IE: Any chance you use a physical damage move a chance for charged bolts to fly out. ...or a chance for a spell crit to cause an explosion. Even smaller stuff like a chance on crit to receive some kind of buff like a lot of WoW trinkets. Just *something* to shake it up.

I also think Blizzard is taking the wrong route but constantly comparing this to D2. There's been a lot of games in this genre since D2 that have done some to slowly push the genre forward. I mean small things like not having to go back to town and auto-collecting gold was pioneered by Torchlight. (Torchlight also has the most boring affixes and itemization of any game in this genre. Because of this I got bored of it before I even finished the game. Sadly the itemization in Torchlight looks a lot like how D3 is presently)

I think we can reach a happy medium where we have some cool and more interesting affixes in the game and still have plenty of room for fun and creative options in a future expansion. The affixes presently are boring and as it stands, I'm excited by absolutely none of the loot in this game.

My points still stand and I do understand the runestone defense, but it makes only that one type of item exciting. I should be pretty stoked about getting a new weapon right? But at present...I'm not.
Reply Quote
I also think Blizzard is taking the wrong route but constantly comparing this to D2. There's been a lot of games in this genre since D2 that have done some to slowly push the genre forward. I mean small things like not having to go back to town and auto-collecting gold was pioneered by Torchlight. (Torchlight also has the most boring affixes and itemization of any game in this genre. Because of this I got bored of it before I even finished the game. Sadly the itemization in Torchlight looks a lot like how D3 is presently)

I hear you there. With no beta invites really going out (though I know chances to get in are slim, regardless) I decided to give Torchlight a try, just for S&G's. I played it once before, to completion, with 5 or 6 different builds. I remembered why I stopped playing it about 5 minutes into the game (as an alchemist). The itemization was so bad that I lost interest as soon as I took a look at the Unique/Set items that were tucked away in my shared stash. Pluses to basic stats are incredibly boring, and it is disheartening to identify a super rare item only to find out it is exactly the same as the item you are wearing, except a little bigger.
Reply Quote
Hey, remember when they said that all of these items and their names and descriptions are placeholders?

Apparently not.

Be patient, you rabid animals, you.
Reply Quote
Hey, remember when they said that all of these items and their names and descriptions are placeholders?

Apparently not.

Be patient, you rabid animals, you.

I think all people are saying is they are prepared for items to change leading up to release, they're just stressing the importance of unique itemization to create less of a homogenous bland-fest of item drops. I'm sure things will change, but in the meantime, we have these topics to discuss things in a non-flame war manner.
Reply Quote
I definitely think that the items listed are just the base of what the item is. Considering that the game will use a random stat generator like in the previous games I'm sure they will be just as awesome as the used to be. The only real thing im disappointed about is the art style. Everything seems very dull.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I have to agree to a certain degree that some of the mod's didn't impress me much like the attacker takes damage of say like 15-20. But on the other hand I am kinda bored with D2 mod's like freezes target, hit blinds target, knockback and such. I think they can freshen it up a bit and come up with something new. But not recycle old content to a great degree. I do agree that some of the mod's weren't very impressing but I loved the set items. I think there is room to grow for the items still and at the end of the day I think they will get it right. I didn't think all the items were bad I mean I saw some great items for my barb build no doubt. Could the unique item mod's use some work? Yes.
Reply Quote
all i will say is expect more rainbows :) that is all.
Reply Quote
Blizzard has said that quite a lot of the affixes/prefixes have not been implemented yet.

Until then have a grand time QQ'ing your EYES OUT over the placeholder stats.

Keep thinking that all gems take 3 to rank up when the recipes for upping the gems still read "Flawless Round Gem" and "Radiant Round Gem" which have been taken out. They can copy and past something and change the name to something that fell out of implementation as a placeholder and GG, you think its' written in stone.

Keep thinking that any of the legendary items will have the stats that are shown.

Keep thinking that there won't be literally 300 more affixes than are currently shown on items.

09/25/2011 03:20 PMPosted by Platinum
Barbarian hits things, and sometimes sends out shockwaves. Where are the throwbarbs? Guess Madawc respecced after being killed first for the billionth time. No crybarbs? Sadface. Boring.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#cRgWQj!VTh!ccbZbZ
My Madawc Spec. Get wrecked.
Reply Quote
i agree as well, the only differences is + exp/globes or slight elemental damage....

when i first saw that the item update was released, i went crazy inside

but as i went through list after list i got dissapointed
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]