Diablo® III

Demon Hunter 158% movement speed?!

so strafe with golden rune is 103% movement speed, and shadow power with obsidian rune is 55% movement speed.....

This is insane to be able to move this fast lol cool yes big very useful arena tool hell yea but still insane.

any thoughts?
Reply Quote
That just makes me want to play the DH even more :)
Reply Quote
I think you are misunderstanding the Strafe golden rune. You are going from 65% to 103%, basically it is getting you back to normal speed + 3%. I could be wrong but I highly doubt you go from below normal speed to twice normal speed. It is worded funny so I'm not sure...
Reply Quote
Blizzard has stated they don't think double run speed is very powerful or OP and don't have a problem with it.

That said. 158% run speed isn't even double run speed. It's not 158% faster run speed, its 158% run speed. 100% is the normal unbuffed run speed.

Reply Quote
I think it would be good for demon hunters that do not favour vault or traps to crowd control and would rather run away. If you cannot strafe away from monsters and shoot towards them this is not a good skill. Increasing the movement speed would compare to running at a brick wall with your arms in a pinwheel motion. Faster. Remember that Hunters cannot stand face to face with equal level monsters, for long.
Reply Quote
Did you account for the 15 percent added move speed if you choose an amethyst max level gem in your helmet?
Reply Quote
First off, YAY Sean is in the DH forums too! Glad to see you. Second, he and jumpy make the same point; unless strafe is stating that you move at an additional 65%, yo uare actually moving slower. And third, from what Sean said, I don't recall Blizzard stating that movement speed wouldn't make someone overpowered, but I definitely believe because when I played my assassin in Diablo 2 all the way to the end of the game, she had over maxed Burst of Speed (20 points plus 8 from gear) getting her up to 174% movement speed and while sure running away when things started getting bad was easy, seeing that I couldn't really do much damage with her it didn't do anything for me at all. Movement speed really only keeps you alive when you will certainly die if you did not run.
Reply Quote
@cfrat... this is not diablo 2. First off, there are no skill points anymore, so your point is moot. The fact that you had to sacrifice damage in one area for utility in another is not going to be the same seeing as all the skills scale together.

With amethyst in helm slot, strafe bonus, and shadow power your movement (also assuming you cannot socket more than once in your helmet) 173% run speed.
Reply Quote
Meatcarnage-

I wasn't saying I sacrificed damage for speed. I just happened to have speed and couldn't do any damage. The point was not about skills points (though you missed that part) it was an example about a movement boost did not really benefit my fighting, and thus was not overpowered. The moral of the story was that in Diablo 2, the movement buffs stacked in an additive way because they were not considered a strong element of fighting, which was Sean and Behemoth were stating. Jumpy and I were also explaining that shooting while running at 65% doesn't mean you move faster unless is says "an additional". To do this we first explained what the movement speed of strafe really was, and then tried to explain why we thought they would stack the way they did. All you did was spout off a number with no explanation of why that number seemed to work.

Please try and give some reasoning of why you think the speed will be additive. While I agree with you, and it seems like you agree with me that it will be additive (though until the game is finalized we cannot know for sure) backing it up with some logical explanation or example will make your point a lot better. I used an example from Diablo 2; if you want to state that anything from Diablo 2 not applying to Diablo 3 cause they are different games, then that is your opinion which is fine and all. But if you to discard all of Diablo 2 you really can't try and use any information or logic from any other game either, and you can't use examples from Diablo 3 until you know it's finished. And if we are going to use that thinking, it pretty much defeats the whole purpose of all of us theory crafting in the forums until the game is released.
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 06:02 PMPosted by Cfrat
I just happened to have speed and couldn't do any damage

It is not a coincidence. Maybe if you reallocated your points you would have done more damage.

Im not using a analogy regarding diablo 2 or any other game because the language in the skill description are sufficient enough to explain what the skills and items do. The movement speed doesn't impose a restriction in the description.

09/27/2011 06:02 PMPosted by Cfrat
But if you to discard all of Diablo 2 you really can't try and use any information or logic from any other game either, and you can't use examples from Diablo 3 until you know it's finished. And if we are going to use that thinking, it pretty much defeats the whole purpose of all of us theory crafting in the forums until the game is released.

This is poor logic. There is information on the community site and beta footage. Deduction and inferences can be made. I can use more examples from an unfinished game than Diablo 2. Diablo 2's combat system was vastly different and stat/skill allocations were also different.
Reply Quote
See but meatcarnage the part that you are completely missing is that the arguments have NOTHING to do with the skills, and while yes the way they have structured the set up differently, and yes you can make more from Diablo 3 than 2, the math behind all of the formulas for movement speed, attack speed, armor, dodge, crit and many more seem to be the same in Diablo 3 as in Diablo 2, we have not been provided such information to be sure all we can do is ask the beta testers to try it out and look at the numbers that pop up on their character screen. And since they seem to be using the same formulas, you can make logical deductions based on Diablo 2, and if they have confirmed the formulas, please by all means post a link to them so I can have a better idea of what to work with; as of yet I personally have not seen them.
Reply Quote
Did you account for the 15 percent added move speed if you choose an amethyst max level gem in your helmet?

there is a 10% faster run speed when hatred is full passive as well, so 183 is achievable not counting any gear.. i found some +12% boots, 9% bracers and 7% chest so 211% is possible
Edited by Infamous on 9/28/2011 2:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Barbarian: Sprint /w Crimson = Marathon. Fury Spender . 210% increase speed for 20 seconds.

I think all classes have increase speed moves so no one will be left in the dust. The great thing however is that you get to do it while attacking!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]