Diablo® III

Will Legendaries be super rare?

as the post says will they be uber uber uber rare? or will they be like the uniques from d2? would be great if a blue could get back to me =) If they are super rare that would kind of tick me off!!!
Reply Quote
Highly doubtful that a blue will respond to this question but I'll do my best to respond on their behalf. Let's just say this: Do not expect that you'll be decking your character(s) out in full legendary items. Be happy if you ever even get just one end game legendary drop. That is more than most people will ever get during their D3 career, outside of trading for one or buying one off of the gold or money auction houses.

Having played D2, I can honestly say that nothing nice ever dropped for me. I did see Windforce drop once in a game but I didn't get it. I never saw another equivalent item again in all of the 2 years (non-stop) that I played. I am fully prepared to expect the same results this time around in D3. Keep in mind that all of the duping in D2 gave the false impression that unique items, especially end game ones, were more common than they really were. Rest assured that the legendary drop rate will be working as intended in D3.

Another way to view it would be like this: Imagine that every monster you kill in Inferno mode is the weekly lottery draw. Your chances of getting one of those legendary items would be the equivalent of holding the winning ticket to that draw. Rinse and repeat on each monster. Some of these items are only meant to be obtained by a handful of people, making them incredibly valuable. So, yes, it would be fair to say that you can safely get ticked off (if that sort of news upsets you).

I do not want to give you false hopes. My advice is to not be delusional about getting lots of legendary items and focus on other aspects of the game and more probable quality item drops. Just enjoy the game and try your best to find some really nice rares. Do not forget that rares do have the chance of being as good or better than legendaries, albeit that will probably only happen as often as legendary items drop (just to put that in perspective). Focus on crafting and making some awesome gear and getting lots of good items that you can eventually trade for gold or better items on the AH. All of these are realistic goals. Just consider the possible drop of an end game legendary in your questing as nothing more than a bonus or a cherry on top of the cake that is D3.

EDIT: I want to say that I was referring mainly to END GAME unique items in this post. I speculate that a lot of the lower level legendary items will drop more frequently than I make it seem with my lottery analogy. Already in the beta Griswold's Edge legendary sword dropped more than a few times in the streaming videos I've watched. It would make sense that these items would drop more often to be of any use during leveling before they are quickly made obsolete by less rare higher level items with better stats, or before people literally max out their 10 character slots and less lower levels exist in the game to even use these items. Okay, maybe that's stretching it.
Edited by teflon on 9/26/2011 6:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I generally agree with teflon.

However, with the advent of the the AH, getting exceptional items for your character will be a lot easier (more pain-free, that is, since you aren't just limited to trading) than it was in D2.

Bottom line is, if you want to get the awesome items your going to have to grind, grind, grind. I personally really look forward to doing that. Nothing beats the rush of getting sweet !@# item that you can either wear, collect, or sell.
Edited by Vlad on 9/26/2011 8:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
High end uniques were always hard to find if you didn't bot the game.
Took forever, and i played forever...
I think only thing I never found on my own was a grandfather, and it dropped in a baal game i was in.. my cursor was over it and but someone grabbed an item(not it) and it moved it and i ended up with a flamebellow...
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
It is called MF. fin.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Really? I found hundreds of uniques in the time I played D2. I have mules right now packed full of rare uniques up to my eyeballs. Right now I have so much crap I don't know what to do with it all. I am sure legendaries are not going to be uber rare. I definitely wouldn't compare it to the lottery. Not sure why you guys did so bad in D2. I have seen many awesome uniques drop in the time I played D2. I can deck out my characters in legendary and top end set items in D2. :D There is no reason why you won't be able to deck yourself out in D3. It takes time and dedication. Perseverance is key to success.
Reply Quote
lets look at it this way, if its too hard to find end game gear, people will be straight up MF, and lets face it, it aint gonna be ez, it gonna be hard, super hard, so i want you right now to plan a MF build. as much possible MF as you can get, you wanna socket EVERYTHING WITH GREENS

the way you compensate for damage output is runes, plain and simple

MF IT TO THE LIMIT
Reply Quote
09/26/2011 10:48 PMPosted by Rockncox
Really? I found hundreds of uniques in the time I played D2. I have mules right now packed full of rare uniques up to my eyeballs. Right now I have so much crap I don't know what to do with it all. I am sure legendaries are not going to be uber rare. I definitely wouldn't compare it to the lottery. Not sure why you guys did so bad in D2. I have seen many awesome uniques drop in the time I played D2. I can deck out my characters in legendary and top end set items in D2. :D There is no reason why you won't be able to deck yourself out in D3. It takes time and dedication. Perseverance is key to success.

Man, I had terrible luck even with all the MF gear I had. Maybe I'll have better luck this time around. I'm going into the game with a pessimistic mindset on the drop rates and if I'm wrong, then I still win.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
My mf wizard is going to be the bomb. I'll have legendaries up for sale on the RMAH write down my email address now. its gimmeurbetakey@iwantabetakey.org
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
the point is to have 3 or 4 friends together. 1 MF, 1 tank, 1 extreme damage dealer and maybe a healy monk. The MF char gets all killing blows. enjoy lewt. If this is not how Blizz expects the mechanic to work, please flame me. With knowledgeable information. And I also never had any problem with my MF sorc in hell.

However, I wish D3 doesnt follow the "Full MF or you dont get to see anything better than a buriza or goldwrap" approach to higher tier'd gear.
Edited by Sábinfigáro on 9/27/2011 9:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 09:10 PMPosted by Sábinfigáro
The MF char gets all killing blows

this actually hadn't occurred to me. MFing is completely changed with the way the item drops work... interesting.
Reply Quote
1 Human Mage
High tier was not that hard to find in D2, I never gotten WF but gotten enough storm shield tier items to trade for one, have cubed myself a Cruel Matriarchal Bow Of Evisceration, got my friend to socket for me and came back with two. Back in 1.09 with so many duped WF, it worth more than a whole trade screen of WF.

BTW I didn't use MF item most of time, I lol at MF users, because no matter how many good gear they got, they are STUCK with their MF gear because of their own greed, while I am using a much better set of item and enjoy game by killing much much faster. I still want to lol every time I think about it.
Reply Quote
In Diablo 2, there was a large difference between effeciently MFing and, well, just playing the game.

Compare playing through an act for 4 hours to running NM/Hell mephisto for an hour. The meph runs will net much more unique items. For better or worse, you could "beat" the game by doing nothing but meph runs for two weeks straight.

Runes were rare (drop rates sucked, even on bosses), but despite what some people say, you do not need full runewords to run Hell mode. NM/Hell level uniques are sufficient.

As for Diablo 3, the practical answer is the drop rates will be rare enough to make the game "last" until the next DLC, expansion, or content patch. Truth is, the only reason items are rare in the first place is so people don't finish the game in a few days, get bored, and move on to something else.

World of Warcraft is a perfect example of such a system. New instance gets released. A few weeks go by, the top guilds finally figure it out and farm it enough to deck out there characters and... magically, the next content patch is ready.

tl;dr: If you are a casual gamer, you will never be decked out in the best gear. Just like D2. Just like WoW. If you are upper intermediate gamer, you will likely keep in line with drop rates vs. content. The top gamers will have everything, but hey, they sacrifice having a life for it.
Reply Quote
80 Human Mage
Considering that the crafting system will make use of legendary materials which are subsequently harvested from legendary items, I have a feeling we will be seeing a higher volume than in previous incarnation. I mean, why would Blizzard make them uber, uber rare if they also instituted a system when you could trash them?
Reply Quote
yeah duh, the good items are always hard to find. and if you do get one, you have a chance that it is the worst of the good items.
Reply Quote
Really? I found hundreds of uniques in the time I played D2. :D There is no reason why you won't be able to deck yourself out in D3. It takes time and dedication. Perseverance is key to success.

Depends on how you did it. Bots would find 90% better gear than any "legit" mfer in game. Regardless of how you MF (I would know, made nuf Bot mf friends and legit mf friends to compare.) If you scam, you can get rich easy, if you know how to pull it off. If you knew PvP gear you can get rich easy. LLD gear could get anywhere between 2-5 HRs in a matter of one trade game. So yah you can get rich, if you know how too. But Legit Mfing got you nowhere. Except the lucky ones who found GODLY gear almost every week, which there were few people who did.

In Diablo 2, there was a large difference between effeciently MFing and, well, just playing the game.

Compare playing through an act for 4 hours to running NM/Hell mephisto for an hour. The meph runs will net much more unique items. For better or worse, you could "beat" the game by doing nothing but meph runs for two weeks straight.

Runes were rare (drop rates sucked, even on bosses), but despite what some people say, you do not need full runewords to run Hell mode. NM/Hell level uniques are sufficient.

Mfing mepho didn't also pan out. Drop rates in D2 were horrible. Not to mention the fact if your char was unable to MF Andy/Mepho/Diablo/Baal in hell you were stuck with NM mf drops. Yeah didn't take much to do hell, but if you were not that good at the game or inexperienced, it wasn't easy. And yes, you could do hell dif w/o top end gear. If you were melee class however, good luck. You could get from act1 to act5, its possible but not as fun. The two easiest ppl in D2 to get from act1 norm-act5 hell without GODLY gear is Ham Pal/Army Necro. You can use other powerful classes, Fb/Orb sorcy, Trap sin, but not nearly as effective nor safe as the other two.

Personally I despised Pallys so I refused to use em. By the time I stopped playing D2 Sin was the only thing I touched. Don't get me wrong, Sin was fun PvP, wasn't a Pal in game who could stop me. And PvE wasn't a thing in D2 that could stop my trapper. But getting rich was only the fun part, being rich was boring.

Lets hope they don't make getting gear in D3 cost an arm and a leg is all I am saying. If someone wants to play single player, they should have no problem getting up there. Shouldn't take months upon months to get to where your char could finally handle themselves AND the game be fun. I like challenges, but D2 got to the pt where it was "almost" impossible. Not everyone has 6-8 hours a day to play the game, some ppl can only afford to play a few hours and have to go. And some only have a few days a week plus the few hours.

P.S. I have not been keeping up with D3. So if they have already discussed item drops I am unaware. Just happen to pop in this thread and see the comments. Decided to add my two cents.
Edited by Spy on 11/3/2011 6:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/28/2011 10:22 AMPosted by Sethrezin
Considering that the crafting system will make use of legendary materials

You have a small chance to receive legendary materials from salvaging a rare or magic item.

I have six or seven of them in my beta account stash.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I had assumed with drops being player specific (others cant see your loot) that MF was purely personal
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]