Diablo® III

Anyone find lack of weapon use annoying?

60 Human Warlock
So it wont stop me from playing the monk, but does anyone else find the lack of weapon use in his attacks to be a little annoying?

I mean I understand that it would have been a real hassle to include unique attack animations for all of his combos, for each weapon type. But, why make staves his weapon of choice?

Why not give him fist weapons like the assassin in D2? I would think that those could actually be used in combat without needing to alter his existing animations.

Just seems kinda a silly to me to see this monk dual wielding axes or running around with a bo stave.. then instantly sheathing them so he can fight with his fists.
Reply Quote
09/21/2011 11:01 AMPosted by Damoklese
Why not give him fist weapons like the assassin in D2?

There are fist weapons for the monk.
Reply Quote
It makes sense and it doesn't at the same time. He has most likely trained his entire life to smash face with his fists and feet, so picking up a sword it kinda makes sense he would just continue to use his fists since his skills are named things like fists of thunder and not strike/weapon of thunder or whatever. but at the same it would be cool if they incorporated the weapons into his attack animations. it would be extremely cool if they made each different weapon type he used grant different bonuses maybe?

at any rate im gonna use fists weapons as much as possible. coolest looking weapons in Diablo/WoW have always been fist weps imo ^.^
Reply Quote
As JJ said. There are fist weapons, but they don't appear in the beta aside from the fist wraps.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Fists
Reply Quote
If you look closely, he doesn't actually use the fist weapons when he's attacking, the same as any other weapon.

Honestly, this seems like a huge flaw with the monk class to me. Diablo is a game about items, this has been true since diablo 1, and has been stated by Blizzard themselves acknowledging that items are at the core of what makes this game what it is. Weapons, being the most important item you have, are at the core of this philosophy. For an entire class to simply never use their most important items, goes against the entire philosophy of Diablo games. When you pick up an epic weapon, you want to equip it and use it to bash in monster skulls. You certainly don't want to just put it on your belt and continue to hit people with your bare fists like you've been doing since the very beginning of the game.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
I totally agree...

I plan to dual wield swords with my monk...I dont want those swords to never get used to hack up enemies.

I hope this is something that can be changed before release but it seems like it may be too daunting especially if it requires making more animations they dont have yet in the game.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Dont all the other classes have animations for each weapon they can use? Seems like they should have done this with the monk too...open fist should just be another weapon type.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Holding true to what a monk/martial fighter is i dont think monks should be able to use certain weapons like a broadsword for example, which is more of a barb weapon.

Staffs, fist weapons, daggers and maybe maces make more sense, and since the monk isnt using the weapons in the beta atleast, they should maybe just make the weapons have a passive appeal. Much like shields and 1h's in wow, with say, a resto shaman or holy paladin. the weapons look nice and make sense, even though you never use them

So in my mind, make the Cestus (handwraps) and staffs the primary weapons for the monk
its better to have a class make sense, than just let it use any weapons because it looks cool. Just my opinion.

I honestly think they could derive a lot of animations from the animated series, Avatar: the last airbender. The staff he uses is the main force for all his attacks, and it makes sense
Edited by Confide on 9/21/2011 7:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Confide
85 Night Elf Druid
Thunder Downunder

Edited by Confide on 9/21/11 7:37 PM (PDT)
Holding true to what a monk/martial fighter is i dont think monks should be able to use certain weapons like a broadsword for example, which is more of a barb weapon.

I don't seem to know what monk you are talking about. martial fighter/Monks USE weapons. Chinese Broadsword is a staple weapon of Shaolin Monks. Easter monks are trained in a variety of weapons and spend there lives mastering a weapon of choice. Then only monk that uses there fist are D&D monks, because thats what there lore states.

This is just an aside but if you want to see a movie with a monk using alot of there weapons watch The 36 Chambers of Shaolin.
Edited by Jeewan on 9/21/2011 9:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The whole draw to the monk for me is that he DOESN'T use weapons when he fights.

I'm glad someone dropped some Street Fighter into my Diablo 3 :)
Reply Quote
To be clear here, I believe the main issue is that the Monk (in beta) will uselessly wield the alternative weapons before attacking with his fists/legs in the actual combat animations.

Agreed. It will be far more appealing to have the Monk simply sheath all alternative weapons continuously, as the Monk just needs the weapon(s) properties.

Besides... looks awesome as the Monk has sheathed weapons on his sides/back as he use his fists. Like a banner of deadly threat.

Example: http://youtu.be/2mjU6n9LlGg
Edited by xDarKLighTx on 9/22/2011 3:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
To be clear here, I believe the main issue is that the Monk (in beta) will uselessly wield the alternative weapons before attacking with his fists/legs in the actual combat animations.

Agreed. It will be far more appealing to have the Monk simply sheath all alternative weapons continuously, as the Monk just needs the weapon(s) properties.

Besides... looks awesome as the Monk has sheathed weapons on his sides/back as he use his fists. Like a banner of deadly threat.

Example: http://youtu.be/2mjU6n9LlGg

Agreed completely. I really like the monk with his weapons sheathed - just have the weapons sheathed the whole time. Pulling them out while he is in his combat stance or running to a mob pack but then sheathing them as soon as he engages the pack is a bit weird.

To me, it fits the monk them well. The monk is a holy brawler - his strength is from within, if you will. Weapons are just there to intimidate people.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
This may very well be the one issue that determines whether or not I play this class as my "main".

If you exclude the weapon sheathing cop-out, I'm probably most excited to play the monk with the Barbarian in a very close second place. But if they don't at least attempt to add more weapon animations for the monk over time, I'm going with the barb.

Is this something they should delay the game over? Absolutely not! Could they commit to adding more animations over time? Yeah, they really should.
Reply Quote
Maybe they could make it so that the Monk only unsheathes his weapons when he auto-attacks, sheathes them again when he does a special attack, and keeps them there until another auto-attack. From what I've seen in the play-throughs auto-attack isn't getting used much at all.
Reply Quote
I was so excited to play a monk when it was first announced. However, after watching the beta videos people are posting, this issue has completely turned me off from the class.

What's even more disappointing is that Blue posts in the beta forums clearly state that this is NOT a bug or an issue that they consider needs to be fixed. I for one think it looks broken and sloppy to have the weapons teleport between the monk's hands and waist/back whenever they attack.

At the very least they should stay sheathed until auto-attacking. But ideally since a monk is supposed to use his/her fists for their special attacks, it would be nice if they punched with the weapons still in their hands. Then at least it would still look "realistic" and wouldn't completely break the suspension of disbelief.

I really hope Blizzard notices the huge amount of dislike about this issue and decide to do something about it.
Reply Quote
2 Dwarf Warrior
This is the difference between playing a barb and a monk for me, love the monk, love the concept, hate that he doesnt use any weapons.

Getting a bad !@# weapon and being able to smash monsters with it is what diablo is all about.
Reply Quote
94 Human Paladin
09/22/2011 02:51 PMPosted by JoCa
Maybe they could make it so that the Monk only unsheathes his weapons when he auto-attacks, sheathes them again when he does a special attack, and keeps them there until another auto-attack. From what I've seen in the play-throughs auto-attack isn't getting used much at all.

There's no autoattack in diablo. You can do a regurlar attack by clicking the mob with the regurlar attack button
Reply Quote
94 Human Paladin
I also dislike that bug martial arts and weapons mix very well together and they should make annimations accordingly.
Reply Quote
I don't really see this being a problem... the monk is a caster melle class. People complaining about the sheathing, need to take another look at the system. The only time his weapons are unsheathed is when he puts new gear on, or he uses an auto attack. There is no reason to use auto attacks in diablo so there is no problem with the sheathing system.

Also it's not really gonna make sense to cast exploding palm or fists of lighting with a huge staff in your hand. It's not going to get changed because it's a lot of work, and changing it would probably upset another part of their player base. The ones that don't want exploding palm to work with swords. The work also isn't worth the pay off, you get a weapon that will be covered up by other visuals like lightning. I also don't want my fist weapons to ghost through my forearm when im casting exploding palm, etc.. To ask them to create new animations for everyone of the monks signiture moves and seperate weapons is a ridiculous task for such a small benefit. The animations have to be very rewarding and they spend a lot of time fine tuning them to make sure they feel good. The combat is the core of this game. It's not something a few people accomplish in a weeks time.

so look to play the barbarian if you really want to attack with your weapon.
Edited by Audio on 9/25/2011 12:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/25/2011 12:46 PMPosted by Audio
so look to play the barbarian if you really want to attack with your weapon.

^^
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]