Diablo® III

Anyone find lack of weapon use annoying?

Penance i am going to sound rude, but it really looks like you just put a bunch of numbers out there. I understand what you were trying to do but its speculation; you can do the same thing with the monk as you did with the other classes and group animations, as long as there is something. Currently there is nothing and it looks dry and incomplete. When playing the game you not only see the characters visually, with your eyes of course, but you also have a screen in your head thats being played. The barb swings with his weapon in the game as you would anticipate, the DH fires her arrows as you anticipate the monk is not doing what you anticipate; rather they are carrying a decorative ornament around while pummeling demons with his fists. Blizzard does an excellent job of going the extra mile and creating an experience for the user, however i do not think they have achieved this with the monk.
Edited by Buddhalover on 9/27/2011 3:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 03:52 PMPosted by Buddhalover
Blizzard does an excellent job of going the extra mile and creating an experience for the user, however i do not think they have achieved this with the monk.

You pick up a sword and use it on your monk. The sword has fire damage, how could that damage happen when he doesn't even use it? The whole idea of the monk "using" a variety of weapons does not make any sense. How can you benefit from an items stats if the weapon stays on your back? It feels very thrown together the way they have implemented monk combos and weapons, it's the one thing I really hope they change before release. I planned on the monk being my first character, in his current condition though I will roll something else and probably won't even touch the class unless I get bored.
Reply Quote
Blizzard does an excellent job of going the extra mile and creating an experience for the user, however i do not think they have achieved this with the monk.

You pick up a sword and use it on your monk. The sword has fire damage, how could that damage happen when he doesn't even use it? The whole idea of the monk "using" a variety of weapons does not make any sense. How can you benefit from an items stats if the weapon stays on your back? It feels very thrown together the way they have implemented monk combos and weapons, it's the one thing I really hope they change before release. I planned on the monk being my first character, in his current condition though I will roll something else and probably won't even touch the class unless I get bored.

I had no idea some stupid animation graphic is that important. It also dont make sense DH have rocket, WD and Wizard can use bow and xbow, Barb and Monk cant. Barb have a skill called "weapon throw", every time a barb use this skill, he should permanently lose his legendary axe. Btw, why cant we wear 10 rings, we have 10 fingers, we should also be allowed to wear multiple amulet, helm, pants, armor, etc. Just dont play D3 at all, you kill prime evil on normal and everything start over on nightmare, and a skeleton can drop something legendary? what nonsense is this game?
Edited by battery on 9/27/2011 7:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
they've got to implement the weapon animations simply because it makes the game more fun, and makes finding weapons more exciting, as well as using said weapons more visceral.
That's all that matters - the fun.

If someone wants to be a h2h monk, there are h2h weapons. You aren't losing options.
Edited by CondaMagoo on 9/27/2011 8:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wow battery. Please dont comment if your not going to be productive. The point of the forum is for constructive criticism so blizzard can have feed back from their users. Its a marketing strategy that is very effective. So instead of antagonizing us for our opinions be useful and put your two cents in on why you disagree rather than rambling about nothing. Obviously their is a lot of concern to this issue and it is making a lot of users question weither the monk will be their main or not. I know this was not productive but individuals such as yourself can really kill a good thread and thats ignorant.

I also want to add on top of my previous statement and address penance concerns about grouping animations. I put some thought into how it can be simplified and this how i thought it can be grouped. Blizzard can group the animation of the signature move for all 1h weapons such as: Axes, swords, maces, daggers, fist weapons since they will all be very similar(striking with the fist with weapon in hand) Also for the first two strikes axes, maces, swords can have similar animation while daggers and fist weapons can be grouped together, since the motion for striking is different then the other onehanders. For two handed weapons i was thinking do an over hand swing for the first strike, followed by an under cut swing for the second. Here the Monk will step in closer to the monster setting up the signature move which can be preformed with one hand; similar to how they are now, but with his weapon in the opposite hand. Yes the monk may have a higher combination but the end result would make the monk much more appealing.
Edited by Buddhalover on 9/27/2011 8:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
CondaMagoo

Edited by CondaMagoo on 9/27/11 8:08 PM (PDT)
they've got to implement the weapon animations simply because it makes the game more fun

This.
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 07:21 PMPosted by battery
I had no idea some stupid animation graphic is that important.

By your logic why have animations at all? Just have your character stand their and do nothing but the monsters still die. A game it is, that is obvious. I have no problem with the way the other characters function because they have animations with them using their weapons. It does not have to be 100% realistic but having weapons and not using them in my opinion breaks the character for me and obviously others. We write in these threads in hopes that the company making the game will see our opinions and hopefully make a change if many have the same opinion. If I hadn't planned on making the monk my main I wouldn't even be typing this right now. I'll say it again if something doesn't change about the monk as far as his weapon use and animations go I will not be using this character until I get bored with the others and that makes me sad.
Reply Quote
At Buddhalover

I would love to see the weapon animation myself, but some people take it as a serious game breaking issue.

Something constructive? I'd rather talk about: Dashing Strike vs Tempest Rush, one seems to totally overshadow the other, while both being mobility skills; the effect of everything based on weapon damage, you will not be very effective without a high end weapon, will this force people into RMAH; while almost everything is based on weapon damage, wave of light is not, this make SSS an obvious better skill; Monks overall skill selection, lack of different play styles, 6 straight up attacking skills.

If you want to discuss something constructive, I'd be more than happy to talk about it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
At Buddhalover

I would love to see the weapon animation myself, but some people take it as a serious game breaking issue.

Something constructive? I'd rather talk about: Dashing Strike vs Tempest Rush, one seems to totally overshadow the other, while both being mobility skills; the effect of everything based on weapon damage, you will not be very effective without a high end weapon, will this force people into RMAH; while almost everything is based on weapon damage, wave of light is not, this make SSS an obvious better skill; Monks overall skill selection, lack of different play styles, 6 straight up attacking skills.

If you want to discuss something constructive, I'd be more than happy to talk about it.

Battery, maybe this thread is not for you? There are many other threads discussing the things you find important. It just so happens this issue is important to other people besides you and maybe you should respect that.

Why even post in a thread that doesnt interest you?
Reply Quote
Lets get back to the thread:

ANYONE FIND LACK OF WEAPON USE ANNOYING?

Questions, comments, complaints related to orignal post?!
Edited by Buddhalover on 9/27/2011 9:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 09:07 PMPosted by JJTheDamager
I had no idea some stupid animation graphic is that important.

By your logic why have animations at all? Just have your character stand their and do nothing but the monsters still die. A game it is, that is obvious. I have no problem with the way the other characters function because they have animations with them using their weapons. It does not have to be 100% realistic but having weapons and not using them in my opinion breaks the character for me and obviously others. We write in these threads in hopes that the company making the game will see our opinions and hopefully make a change if many have the same opinion. If I hadn't planned on making the monk my main I wouldn't even be typing this right now. I'll say it again if something doesn't change about the monk as far as his weapon use and animations go I will not be using this character until I get bored with the others and that makes me sad.

Does Monk have no animation right now? Is that why we want some animation so bad? Blizzard wanted the Monk animation to be punching. Also, there are people posting in this thread like it. Stop being so self centric, no one cares if you quit Monk even D3.
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 03:38 PMPosted by Penance
63 animations just with the assumption that DW, 2h, and Fists have unique sets of combo animations. That's not including if you have no weapon equipped in either hand or a shield equipped.

Even if you double the figure for male/female, it's still a drop in the bucket compared to all the creature and spell animations in the game. Is it too much to ask for a AAA game that has been in development this long, that one of the five(!) shipping classes has weapon-specific animations?

This is a much easier fix than feral druid chrome, and covers a full 20% of the playspace.
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 09:58 PMPosted by battery
Does Monk have no animation right now? Is that why we want some animation so bad?

In my opinion he has a lack of animation, yes. In your opinion he does not lack any animations. Good to know we are on the same page. This is for the developers of the game your opinion that my opinion doesn't matter is laughable. Like hell I would not play Diablo3 perhaps your reading comprehension could use some help. You continue to try and derail this thread, your comments are not helping and will be ignored by me from here on.

Their is simply no reason fist weapons should be taken off for combos when he is using his fists. The other weapons, if they decide not to make any animations for them, take them away from his arsenal altogether. Obviously at this point we don't know what they are working on or why the game was delayed. Since this is the case adding animations could prolong launch further therefore taking away certain weapon types would be an easier idea to implement. I'll say it again, how can weapon stats benefit attacks if they are not used? Through osmosis? Is the monk able to channel the weapons attributes simply by having them on his person? If this is the case why not make his weapons trinkets, for example beads he wears around his wrists, charms to add to his garland of beads he wears around his neck, a holy book he keeps on his person that empowers him. If he only uses fists and kicks for his attacks why even have him able to equip weapons? This is my main point for wanting animations or taking away certain weapon types from his arsenal.

EDIT: The main reason I began posting in this thread; I saw video of the monk dual wielding Spears (the templar weapon). He would run around with them in his hands but when battle happened they would always go to his back, it looked very clunky and odd to have giant spears on his back while dashing about punching and kicking.
Edited by JJTheDamager on 9/27/2011 11:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There should be a poll started on how the community feels either Yes or No. This would give blizzard an accurate set of data to determine if the change is necessary or not. How can we get a can we get a sticky started. Anytime i would try to get a sticky headlined, it would be rejected.
Reply Quote
If you look closely, he doesn't actually use the fist weapons when he's attacking, the same as any other weapon.

Honestly, this seems like a huge flaw with the monk class to me. Diablo is a game about items, this has been true since diablo 1, and has been stated by Blizzard themselves acknowledging that items are at the core of what makes this game what it is. Weapons, being the most important item you have, are at the core of this philosophy. For an entire class to simply never use their most important items, goes against the entire philosophy of Diablo games. When you pick up an epic weapon, you want to equip it and use it to bash in monster skulls. You certainly don't want to just put it on your belt and continue to hit people with your bare fists like you've been doing since the very beginning of the game.

idk; i didnt even notice i wasnt using the weapons rofl
Reply Quote
09/28/2011 02:22 AMPosted by Malpractice
idk; i didnt even notice i wasnt using the weapons rofl

I was just watching a level 13 monk video, he was wearing fist weapons and I didn't actually see them come off when doing combos. If this is the case when I roll a monk I guess I will simply stick with fist or daibo. The daibo not being used isn't a breaker for me, it's the swords and spears that look the most odd. But regardless if I was in the development team working on the monk this is something I would have made sure was right, if not at least giving him a combo or two that fully utilized all weapons available to him. But alas I do not create video games, thought about it but decided to work with electronics and engineering instead.
Reply Quote
It definitely takes away from immersing the player into diablo 3's world... It's that little tidbit that you'll always notice until fixed
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 02:49 PMPosted by Buddhalover
If your going to do something, then do it right.

+1
Reply Quote
For the love of all that is holy blizzard, please just keep the monks' weapons holstered 100% of the time. Makes no sense to have them out while running around, then magically holstering them when attacking with your fists/feet. 0.o
Reply Quote
I agree with the OP 100%. It's extremely silly because if the monk isn't going to use the weapons then why even carry them? I'm hoping it's just something blizzard hasn't finished yet because it's just retarded having a weapon in each hand while running toward an enemy to attack and when you finally start attacking the weapons get sheathed lol. It looks unfinished and well....just silly. Fist weapons are fine to use "fists" but if i'm holding a sword, a spear, or a staff then I want to USE them.
Edited by Silencer on 10/2/2011 2:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]