Diablo® III

Anyone find lack of weapon use annoying?

85 Human Death Knight
10/01/2011 09:02 AMPosted by MOOT
For the love of all that is holy blizzard, please just keep the monks' weapons holstered 100% of the time. Makes no sense to have them out while running around, then magically holstering them when attacking with your fists/feet. 0.o

While this would be better than how it is currently I still think monks should use the weapons they are carrying.

Seems silly to have weapons out only to holster them when attacking. It's even sillier that fist weapons get holstered while punching.

Come on Blizz...fixing this shouldn't even take a drop out of your cash barrel.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
At least give him animations using a staff that would be pownage!
Reply Quote
I agree! The monk should have animations for his fist and diabo weapons. Heck! As it is, the monk's fist weapons disappear with all attacks except Dashing Strike and Lashing Tail kick (while kicking, the fist weapons are still in hand).

I don't agree that the Monk should keep the weapons permanently sheathed. I don't know about you, but a weapon is only useful if you wield it... this ain't some gauntlet, helmet, or other piece of armor that imbues the player with power... weapons are tools to be used. As such, the Monk needs to have unique Diabo animations where applicable, see my post:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3278903693?page=1#5

There were some other good ideas about creating animations based on weapon type.

Lack of specific animation is not a deal breaker, but certainly disappointing and a huge oversight from the developer's perspective. In comparison to other classes, it makes the Monk look unrefined.

Reply Quote
Except for daibos and fist weapons, I wish they would just drop weapons entirely for the monk. They just seem like stat-sticks right now, while punches and kicks are awesome and provide a unique flavor.

"When I asked him why he did not carry a sword or, indeed, any weapon at all, he simply replied, "My body is my weapon." Then raising his hand and tapping his forehead, he added, "As is my mind." -From the old website
Reply Quote
I feel the same way as most posters here, at the very least having diabo animations would make a lot of sense.
Tempest rush using a magical daibo instead of the one on the monks back in this video is a bit silly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOhOcF7wPgU&t=0m41s
Reply Quote
It would be nice if they had animations for the Daibos, but it really doesn't make sense to see a monk swinging an axe. Especially since they need to animate and code 3 different animations for each Spirit Generator, it's a lot of work for something that may detract from the Monk's unique "kung fu look".

That being said, again, I would be very pleased if they patched in animations for Daibos, since they're a Monk-unique weapon, and the staff is a longstanding traditional kung fu weapon. He could do a jab, then a swing across the body, then a mighty downward SLAM with the whole length of the daibo. Would look credible, dynamic and badass.
Edited by Zagrylfalx on 12/19/2011 10:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
I dont mind him not using the weapons so much as him running around with them out and then his weapons teleporting to his sides when it is time to attack. Either get animations for attacks or leave them on his sides all the time.
Reply Quote
I don't have beta, but I notice this issue has been brought up since the end of September (on this thread anyway), or perhaps longer?

Is this weapon animation issue (the sheathing weps on attack, even fist weapons not shown in the attack animations) still unresolved?

I truly feel this deserves some attention because it would personally drive me nuts to have this bit of detail overlooked.
Reply Quote
all of the characters have a surprising lack of melee attack animations. IT's really annoying.
Reply Quote
Can we pretty pwease get a blue response :)
Reply Quote
Yeah, I agree, Monk as we've seen it so far... is simply put: incomplete.

I'm thinking Blizzard will fix this before release, as it's a glaring discrepancy, and just downright poor quality.

Imo, keep the weapons holstered 100% of the time (yes it's not a PERFECT solution, but probably the most practical); however Fist Weapons of all types should be shown at all times.
Also daibos could be worked into some of the attacks that just make particular sense, ie.Tempest Rush!
Reply Quote
I agree with 99% of the people in this thread.

The whole purpose of the monk class is a fast, agile and highly aware brawler. Now you imagine a guy like this who's been martial trained all his life and is always ready for combat... he wears two axes, one in each hand... and then he gets surprised. "OH, let me sheathe these and use my fists now". It defeats the whole concept of this character.
When I first saw this I thought it was so stupid it should be a BETA bug or something not implemented yet..
Just leave the weapons sheathed all the time already..
In fact, I think the monk should use only the Staff, Fists and the Kama.
Reply Quote
If Blizz intends for the Monk to only use punching and kicking attacks then I really hope they add TONS of fist weapons in the game. Weapons are the most important part of Diablo and if I find a badass weapon that most everyone is after then I want to be able to actually USE that weapon not have it sheathed when I decide to attack.
Edited by KhalDrogo on 1/12/2012 7:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yes I agree with you... tons of fist weapons alright. But the other weapons should be sheathed. Of course the fist weapons should appear.
Reply Quote
Didn't Blizzard specifically address this already?

The whole point of a monk and the "feeling" that one invokes is that he practices with his hands and feet to be used as weapons. The weapons you carry are supposed to be stat sticks and they don't want them to interfere with the idea that you are punching and kicking enemies.

If you absolutely must have a weapon slicing someone, you can always choose a barbarian...
Reply Quote
10/02/2011 05:23 PMPosted by Entari
For the love of all that is holy blizzard, please just keep the monks' weapons holstered 100% of the time. Makes no sense to have them out while running around, then magically holstering them when attacking with your fists/feet. 0.o

I second this! or atleast make this happen with all but fist weapons, they ATLEAST should stay in your hand while throwing punches..
Reply Quote
The whole point of a monk and the "feeling" that one invokes is that he practices with his hands and feet to be used as weapons. The weapons you carry are supposed to be stat sticks and they don't want them to interfere with the idea that you are punching and kicking enemies.

Other characters in the franchise were limited weapon wise, why not do this for the monk? Staff and fist weapons only. The idea of a stat stick is well, for lack of a better word, dumb. Why not just actually give him a stick. If they are going to go back and re-work old systems why not fix this perceived problem. I won't even touch the monk unless I get incredibly bored with the other characters due to how strongly I feel about his weapon selection and animations. Stat stick, what in the %#^$?
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Warrior
I believe monks train with all sorts of weapons, like halberds and swords, get a Tri-sectional in there then i will be impressed.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Im probably more annoyed that they keep switching between having their weapons out while running but on their backs when attacking (at least in some videos I watched, dunno if that changed). Would prefer them to always be on their back if they aren't actually used.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
if you want swords play a barbarian.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]