Diablo® III

Summoner Build for constructive criticism

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bhZWVc!ZXV!aYcYYb

Summoner Build:
The idea with this build is to get a lot of passive damage going while focusing on one damage skill. All of your skills will be working for you at once. Use zombie dogs and gargantuan as a meat shield. The dogs will last longer with healing and the gargantun will help mow down multiple enemies that might otherwise overwhelm the meat shield. Next lay down huge toad and spider queen while the enemies gnaw on your meat shield. These two abilities will be doing constant damage without needing be recast for at least 22 seconds. The toad will take one enemy out of play while dealing single target DPS while the spider queen is pumping out AOE damage. After that bust out three haunts that will get some good mana regen going while you spam auto target firebats. If you want you can change firebats to a crimson rune for more damage. Refresh spider queen as needed. Passives would be Vermin to enhance Toads, Bats, and Spiders. Zombie Handler for meatier zombies and garguntan, plus the extra dog. Finally Fierce Loyalty if your gear configuration makes it worth while otherwise use another passive that would best augment your build.

Summon Zombie Dogs - Alabaster Runestone
Leeching Beasts
Your zombie dogs gain 65% of damage dealt as Life, half of which heals you.

Gargantuan - Indigo Runestone
Humongoid
Gargantuan gains a Cleave ability allowing its attacks to hit multiple targets for 210% of your weapon damage as Physical.

Plague of Toads - Obsidian Runestone
Toad of Hugeness
Summon a giant toad that swallows enemies whole for up to 5 seconds, digesting for 90% of your weapon damage per second as Physical.This rune adds a 5 second cooldown to the skill.

Corpse Spiders - Indigo Runestone
Spider Queen
Summon a mother spider that births spiderlings dealing 103% weapon damage per second as Poison to enemies in the area. Lasts 22 seconds.You may only have one mother spider summoned at a time.

Firebats - Indigo Runestone
Hungry Bats
Rapidly summon bats to seek out nearby targets for 210% weapon damage per second as Fire.

Haunt - Golden Runestone
Draining Spirit
The spirit returns 100% of damage done as Mana for you.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bhPkVg!XVZ!aabZZb

Follows a similar idea of your build; therefore, keep as much pets out to keep enemies busy as the Witch Doctor spams one attack skill. Key differences is that my mana regeneration skill is soul harvest. This skill deals no damage to enemy; however, makes up for it in attack buff. Letting me burn them demons with extreme prejudice.

Your build specifically looks like it could be fun and viable. Need to make sure you have haunt out at all times. Bats can drain mana pretty quickly.
Reply Quote
Nice build. I get the feeling though that Toad of Hugeness only lasts 5 seconds too, so that will be semi spammed.

Alternatively you could do:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bhZWic!dXV!aYcYcb

Replacing Firebats with a spammable Spirit Barrage spectre summon. I assume you can spam this spell to make several spectres, given that they only last 5 seconds, and it's less mana intensive.

I've taken out Vermin for Pierce the Veil too for the same damage output.
Edited by Cujo on 9/24/2011 2:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is my summoner build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bhTZWc!ZXd!acZZYb

The damage% buff from sac I find invaluable. Basically you wait for the cooldown on Zdogs to be up and sac them for the dmg buff, immediately resummon Zdogs and every 60 seconds thereafter repeat this process (Ideally you'll use sac near large clumps of enemies).

As you do this you keep haunt up on 3 targets in the back of a pack (so it's up longer) and then either toadspam or for bigger nastier groups drop Spider Queen and toad spam!

This seems to me like a superb AoE spec but it also contains a secret weapon muahaha... if you are up in a bosses face the 3 frogs from Plague of Toads explode all at once on it dealing crazyyyyy damage. You will have to get good at hit and run though!
Reply Quote
Nice build. I get the feeling though that Toad of Hugeness only lasts 5 seconds too, so that will be semi spammed.

Alternatively you could do:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bhZWic!dXV!aYcYcb

Replacing Firebats with a spammable Spirit Barrage spectre summon. I assume you can spam this spell to make several spectres, given that they only last 5 seconds, and it's less mana intensive.

I've taken out Vermin for Pierce the Veil too for the same damage output.

I have a bad feeling Toad of Hugeness might me by on a 5 sec duration too but that would make it a costly (generally 1 target) CC with moderate damage. Hex (runed to your preference) or Mass Confusion (runed with 4 sec CD) would be mass CC with a better duration, roughly the same damage potential and better mana cost. If that's the case I would probably switch to mass confusion with a golden rune stone. I can't see blizzard letting Toad of Hugeness going retail with a 5 sec duration at it's current cost, I hope.
Reply Quote
This is my summoner build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bhTZWc!ZXd!acZZYb

The damage% buff from sac I find invaluable. Basically you wait for the cooldown on Zdogs to be up and sac them for the dmg buff, immediately resummon Zdogs and every 60 seconds thereafter repeat this process (Ideally you'll use sac near large clumps of enemies).

As you do this you keep haunt up on 3 targets in the back of a pack (so it's up longer) and then either toadspam or for bigger nastier groups drop Spider Queen and toad spam!

This seems to me like a superb AoE spec but it also contains a secret weapon muahaha... if you are up in a bosses face the 3 frogs from Plague of Toads explode all at once on it dealing crazyyyyy damage. You will have to get good at hit and run though!

The problem with that is your are going to be starved for dogs a lot and waiting on the summon zombie dogs cooldown. Need a big fan of sac myself but if I were to do a sac build it would look like this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bThjQZ!XaY!baYaaZ

Summon Zombie Dogs - Golden Runestone
Final Gift
Upon death, your zombie dogs have a 85% chance of leaving behind a health globe.

Sacrifice
- Alabaster Runestone
Next of Kin
Each sacrificed dog has a 70% chance to resurrect as a new zombie dog.

Gargantuan - Indigo Runestone
Humongoid
Gargantuan gains a Cleave ability allowing its attacks to hit multiple targets for 210% of your weapon damage as Physical.

Mass Confusion - Alabaster Runestone
Devolution
Targets killed while confused have a 99% chance of spawning a zombie dog.

Big Bad Voodoo - Alabaster Runestone
Boogie Man
Enemies who die in the ritual area have a 75% chance to resurrect as a zombie dog.

Plague of Toads - Crimson Runestone
Explosive Toads
Mutate to red bullfrogs that explode for 341% weapon damage as Fire.

Passive:
"Zombie handler" for 4 dogs.
"Circle of Life" for 10% max mana for health globes
"Gruesome Feast" for +10% attack for each health globes (stacks 5 times)

Basically you always have dogs up from Summon Zombie Dogs, Big Bad Voodoo and Big Bad Voodoo alternating these skills because of their long cooldowns. Runed Next of Kin on Sacrifice brings some dogs back after the originals die. With Final Gift runed on zombie dogs you are swimming in health globes that fuel Circle of Life giving you a lot of mana regen (to spam explosive toads) and to boost your attack up with gruesome feast. Gargantuan is for a meat shield and it gets synergy from zombie handler making it beefier keeping enemies off of you.

Reply Quote
86 Orc Death Knight
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bZWVhS!ZXc!aabbcb

My summon build. Dogs and Bats heal you for their damage, while Spiders and Locusts give you mana. Gargantuan has his AoE DoT, and toads are confusing the crap out of enemies.

For passives I have Vermin for the increased damage that my bats, toads and spiders will do, Zombie handler for the extra doggy and increased health, and blood ritual to have something to do with all that health I'm getting back from my dogs and bats.

I cannot wait to play him! ^-^
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ZhPkYQ!XVU!aZbZbY

This is my take on a pure summoning build. I feel like it'll be the perfect blend of offensive, defensive and support. My main tactical skills are going to be Zombie Wall Creepers and Grasp, which can be easily used in any of the above mentioned roles. It's a bit more risky and personal skill reliant than other CC the WD has like Horrify, Mass Confusion and Spirit Walk, but I feel the trade off is going to be more than worth it with other players.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
I dont think that Fierce Loyalty will be a great source of DPS. I dont see thorns doing major damage. I think for summoner builds its more important to get Spiritual Attunement for Mana. This will give you much greater survivability by allowing for a lot more summons.

Thats my 2 cents. :)
Edited by Lygion on 10/8/2011 6:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]