Diablo® III

Rare Items Really Rare... ?

Hi killed the skeleton king quite some weeks ago for the first time... got my first rare item. Rare boots.

Since then I killed him several, countless times... no rare since then. Is this kinda bugged or is this fixed that you have a better drop chance the first time you kill a boss?
Reply Quote
Working as intended.
Reply Quote
In Diablo 2, the first time you killed a major boss the drops were all improved (Rare or better) as a quest reward. If you went back and farmed the boss, the drops wouldn't be as good (depending on +mf% and luck).

It is likely that they have a similar system in place for Diablo 3, when the loot is best on your first run - especially since they have explicitly stated a desire to disincentivise boss runs. Empirical evidence from the beta supports this assumption.
Reply Quote
do you know if that means then that there are going to be areas with like random setups and random bosses to farm for ultra rare drops vers farming act bosses?
Reply Quote
There will probably be random areas like I've seen on the beta streams where an event happens, but you should really get away from the farming mindset.
Reply Quote
Hopefully the 3 pack random champions drop good stuff all the time
Reply Quote
Also like he's more of a mini boss then a Boss Boss. At least imo, i mean in D2 what did you consider a boss, Andy, Dury, Meph, D and Baal. I mean Blood raven was a "boss" ect. ect. Izzy, Hephisto, you know. But i mean they aren't even a real boss. Thus i say he's a mini-boss. That being said this means that's pretty awesome though because they have made it so MINI bosses get a better loot table for quest. Which was not the case in D2. And i find that sweet.
Reply Quote
Also on a further note, i don't think they want to get rid of boss runs per say. It was more that they wanted you to feel like you could go anywhere and get awesome stuff. Like in D2 you Farm Meph, Baal, D.. throw in a few mini boss' that were close and fast. But You really didn't bother with Dury, or Andy (i'm speaking when you can easy farm, i know early you farm andy because she's way way easier if your undergeared) heck i didn't even bother with Meph eventually. Simply because the stuff i wanted Could not drop from him. So with Inferno they make it so anything can drop from any boss, mini-boss, champ, rare, mob, or lesser-mob.

My point being is I'm SURE the boss fights will still have the highest % loot tables simply because they are the more difficult battles. Yet you are not doing MF wrong in D3 if you just go kill whatever you want. For anything can drop anywhere. Keep in mind in D2 if you were not farming Diablo, and Baal and you were looking for Zod or a TM, you were Mfing wrong. Because you would never find it because you had a ZERO chance for it to drop.
Reply Quote
So if I'm getting this then basically were going to use inferno mode to farm up gear?

The concept of farming will never really go way from Diablo with the built in true nature of randomness that is part of the game. I won't get a guaranteed drop like I would in WoW and thus I have to go around and hope to find the gear I am looking for or buy it off the new auction house.
I am one of those that finding it more fun to find it vers buy it, unless buying it after farming a ton to look for it and I have the gold to buy it or I find a good drop I won't use and sell it to get what I am after. This is basically two things at once which is a strategy I use in any MMO, combine tasks that push towards multiple goals to save both time and whatever the ingame currency is.

If inferno difficulty is where all the high level legendary and set gear is where the best chance for them to drop then that's where me and most players looking to get gear or even make cash on the game will go. It never maters where the best gear is, or how you have to get it. If that is where the best gear is players will end up inevitably end up grinding that content to get it.

So it will be interesting to see how rare gear really is. My hope is that a lot of those shinny legendarys are in inferno mode but they can drop anywhere so as you grind your way though you can get it. Also I just hope the D3 developers have developed an intresting way for us to grind up gear vers just killing boss. My hope was there would be like wild areas that are random and each act has one.
Basically a wild area would be a zone where players will encounter random sets of mobs and mini bosses that you could kill for drops and cash. Since its random each act has its one area to grind you could use these to farm gear based on the limits of the act its in.
Adventures dont always race for the end of a story; sometimes they take a break and explore the wilds around them to see whatelse they can discover.
Reply Quote
I wish I was in beta because then I'd craft like crazy until I got the best MF gear I could manage on it and try to farm with as high as I could get the MF to go... wonder what all would drop if someone did that.... here's to hoping for a Beta code for those who preorder after CE announcement
Reply Quote
Yeah when you kill something for a quest your loot will be better. When you farm it the drops go down.
Reply Quote
Legendary items is probably really whats rare.
Reply Quote
if beta is 1/3 act 1 skeleton king is probably like blood raven..
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]