Diablo® III

The item stats were placeholders (proof)

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=27832813210&sid=3000
Blue post:
Item data we've exposed is by and large placeholder, and we're actually in the process of pulling it down due to a lot of reactions just like this. We thought it'd be cool to show some pre-release items in very temporary states, but it's just a matter of fact that people are going to take it at face value. Not that you or anyone else isn't able to discuss the particulars without assuming it's final content, we don't believe that to be true, but in general we don't think the discourse is healthy when it's going to be largely based on placeholder data.

To comment on your specific points though, the vast majority of affixes are simply not implemented in-game, and as the website directly queries game data, it can't pull something that isn't implemented. I'd say affixes are though one area where we want to do as much as possible by game release, but they are directly limited by when we want to finally get the game out the door. At some point feature creep has to stop, and we have to begin testing what should be (game mechanic-wise) a final product.

As you stated though a lot of the crazier affixes did not ship with Diablo II, but were added later. I don't believe that's because the designers didn't have those ideas, but they simply make more sense to expand and broaden the game featureset post-ship. You could argue that it's something that should be baked into the core experience, that Diablo III should be mechanically more complex than Diablo II at release, and the fact of that matter is that it is substantially more complex than Diablo II was at launch.

Bottom line we want as many affixes as we can get for launch, but with runestones, passives, and the itemization we're shooting for, we're already launching a game with far more diverse build potential than Diablo II.

That's right, we all whined and now they're taking it away from us.
Reply Quote
NO! Ill be better next time! Please don't take it away!
Reply Quote
we dont want them to take it away.... >.> i enjoy looking at random stuff... >.<

but i do want >.< INSTEAD OF ORANGE i want "DARK GOLD" names...... >.<

Orange just makes it feel too much like WoW or any other rip off Diablo that been useing Orange.... for legendary....

Reply Quote
It would have been NICE if they would have STATED on the items page, that the item values were PLACEHOLDERS. I suppose they just ASSUMED that the players would know this, when it was apparent that most of us did not.

Blizzard: We all know what happens to people who ASSUME:)

Well on the items page it does say this at the bottom "Note: Item information is not final and is subject to change at any time."
Reply Quote
We had our cake, but then we complained about the icing. Now they're taking the cake away.

Oh sad day.
Reply Quote
Why was this reported?
Reply Quote
09/24/2011 03:57 PMPosted by heroicblues
Why was this reported?

there are people drunk with power on the boards

There are also people like me, who are just straight up drunk.
Reply Quote
09/24/2011 04:55 PMPosted by Quezacotl
I'm very relieved to find out those were placeholder stats. But yeah blizzard why not state that in the first place rather than getting all mad because we didn't know they were placeholders?

09/24/2011 03:13 PMPosted by bhenson
Well on the items page it does say this at the bottom "Note: Item information is not final and is subject to change at any time."

It has always been on the item pages, just people don't read the whole page.
Edited by Excidium on 9/24/2011 5:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It would have been NICE if they would have STATED on the items page, that the item values were PLACEHOLDERS. I suppose they just ASSUMED that the players would know this, when it was apparent that most of us did not.

Blizzard: We all know what happens to people who ASSUME:)

And WHY does IT EVEN maTTeR?
Reply Quote

This was added just recently.

From what I can remember, its been there for several days if not longer. Not sure when it was added since I have always seen that message when I first noticed the items have been added which was on the day that they did the update to the site.
Reply Quote
I thought this was common knowledge, check bottom of item page.

"Note: Content is not final and is subject to change at any time."
Reply Quote
09/24/2011 05:33 PMPosted by Marine
This was added just recently.

Wrong.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]