Diablo® III

Old School (Pre)Blizzard Nostalgia

After a couple beers my brother and I were talking about our favorite Blizzard games and we had a great time remembering Rock n' Roll Racing from WAY back. I can honestly say that about once a year when I visit home, I'll dust off the SNES to play this. To this day, whenever my dad beats me at something, he still taunts me with, "Olaf fades into last..." (hold select+L+R, is it sad that I remember that after almost 20 years?)

For those of you who don't understand that last sentence, I pity you and your youth. Anybody else have good memories of Blizzard's days before they were called Blizzard?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
thats okay, i came of gaming age when all the good stuff started coming out, like 1999ish. cant imagine what id do if i grew up before then, probably go insane from boredom
Reply Quote
I still have the Rock n' Roll Racing songs on my iPod.

My head almost exploded a few years ago when i knew that Rock n' Roll Racing was made by Blizzard (Silicon & Synapse in older days). Thank you Blizzard for give us awesome entertainment for so long.
Reply Quote
Lost vikings <3
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
09/25/2011 07:50 PMPosted by Kangaxx
thats okay, i came of gaming age when all the good stuff started coming out, like 1999ish. cant imagine what id do if i grew up before then, probably go insane from boredom
You didn't experience the revolutions that were Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Neverwinter Nights (AOL's 500-player graphical MMORPG from the early 1990's), Maniac Mansion / Zak McCracken, Ghosts N Goblins, Duck Hunt, Super Mario Brothers, Contra, Ikari Warriors, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy 1 & 2, Phantasie II, Conan, Wings of Fury, Red Baron (the original), etc. There was plenty of 'good stuff' long before 1999, including Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, and Diablo.

..and you say you would have been bored.. sheesh. Besides Diablo 2 and now 3, the only other time I've followed the release of a new gaming product so agressively were the months of reading Nintendo Power in the early 1990's while seeing so many previews of the upcoming SNES and its games at release, like F-Zero, SimCity, etc.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
FoE
09/25/2011 07:50 PMPosted by Kangaxx
If anything, youd go insane from all the great games, that relied on actually being good rather than having good graphics. You werent even around for the games that actually revolutionized gaming and were precursors for games that you hold so dear today.

On topic, i unfortunately had a genesis in my house, and not a nes or snes. However, this also means i got the mortal kombat that had blood in it, instead of "sweat". Cheers for classic games regardless though.

EDIT: Only 23 and i feel old. Damn kids and their newfangled gadgets, they dont know what real fun is.

EDIT2: To the guy above me, you left out 2 very important (and more recent) games that changed the face of the industry. Super mario 64 and goldeneye 007, not to mention others that i cant think of off the top of my head.
Edited by Tastymanwich on 9/25/2011 8:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
I've been playing games it seems like forever, but yes when SNES came out, i had rock n roll racing, lost vikings i loved! blackthorne rocked..then one day i was walking through best buy, saw warcraft, i think i saw it for about 4 months before i decided to give it a try, and fell in love, then soon after, warcraft 2 came out and then tides of darkness. then i followed blizz and every game then after im right there in line ready and waiting. I miss those times and still love those games!
Reply Quote
My First games were from Blizzard Sorry...

it was Diablo/Warcraft 2

o.o i havent lived long enough to have experience with the other ones.
Reply Quote
Good times... My brother and I actually had a similar conversation, except it was me asking him, "Hey, you remember when you would play Rock N' Roll Racing with your friends -- and never let me play?"

"Yep."

"Man, those were the days..."

Next time you're drinking with your brother, spill some juice for the younger brothers out there everywhere, who weren't as fortunate as to have kind, sharing brothers... *sigh* :P
Reply Quote
Good times... My brother and I actually had a similar conversation, except it was me asking him, "Hey, you remember when you would play Rock N' Roll Racing with your friends -- and never let me play?"

"Yep."

"Man, those were the days..."

Next time you're drinking with your brother, spill some juice for the younger brothers out there everywhere, who weren't as fortunate as to have kind, sharing brothers... *sigh* :P

You may think I'm a nice big brother, but we definitely had a third younger brother who never got to play. As an older brother, one of my favorite moments of power over a younger sibling was when you'd get to the end of a planet and he wouldn't have enough points to keep going. Then the question, "Do you want to leave your loser friend behind?" pops up on the screen and a wrestling match over my controller starts, with my brother yelling, "Don't leave me!" and me laughing maniacally and yelling, "HAHA, I'm gonna hit the button!!!" Good times. The best part was if you actually hit yes and the game completely switches to single player and then he goes off to mom crying about how I won't let him play the game. I can't wait till Christmas...
Reply Quote
I love Rock n' Roll racing. I still play it sometimes (the only racing game I've ever loved). Good times.

Also, Lost Vikings. To this day, the scene with the microwave chicken still cracks me up...

:)

I also have Blackthorne...though I never got into that as much.
Edited by Eternity on 9/26/2011 5:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Human Paladin
i played warcraft 1 back in the days, it hooked me right up :)

i remember renting lost viking on the snes but it really didnt hook me up. From the age of 7-8 i got into rpg's and i will most likely never quit (30y/o now).

Played a load of warcraft 2 at my cousin's cause i didnt have a pc back then, (never played starcraft loll), diablo 1 when we finally got a pc at home (4mb ram was hot! lol).

My young gaming days though were on nes (mario bros, and way too many to name them all, ffs i think i played more nes games than there is different sorts of pokemons lol) and snes (i'll always remember the day when i got this console which came with Legend of Zelda!! epic!)

/e and yeah i had a sega too (NOT A GENESIS!! a SEGA SYSTEM lol) and the game i played the most on that console was the secret labyrinth you could unlock on the start screen when you wouldnt insert a cartridge. To say how the games were fail on that console... no wonder they are out of the market now :o Only one game that was worth it was Shinobi (Contra-style with ninja's haha) Those were the days :)
Edited by Sillamone on 9/26/2011 5:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@RipTide: Much easier if you upgrade to the hovercraft model - no slipping!
Reply Quote
Blackthorne was awsome as well as many others mentioned above Thanks for mentioning Blackthorne tho.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Four words:
Press play on tape
Reply Quote
Starcraft was my first game on PC and at that time I am still a kid :D. I have never played WC1&2 and Diablo1 in its time but I have played all of Blizzard games after Starcraft. I am not old farts like you guys lol.
Edited by ImMheY on 9/26/2011 6:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Man i feel old. But when i stared was on an Atrai 400 with the great game of Pac-man,Dig Dug, and greats. With theses none of the games to day would be around /rocking chair creeking

And you kids get off my lawn!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
I bought Blackthorne from a friend of mine that owned a video game store that "accidentally burned down".

As much as I hated sidescrollers, it grew to become one of my favorite games. The music and atmosphere of the game was awesome.
Edited by Skyfire on 9/26/2011 7:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
09/26/2011 05:34 AMPosted by Sillamone
From the age of 7-8 i got into rpg's and i will most likely never quit

Diablo 1, and Starcraft was my cherry

EDIT: With blizzard games that is.

Anyone here remember Mario RPG?
Edited by Shwaze on 9/26/2011 7:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]