Diablo® III

Why can't DH use Vault to jump downstairs?

During Force's Barb video, he used Leap Attack to jump right on the monsters downstairs instead of go around and use stairs to go down, thus saving his time.
For those of you who haven't watched it yet, check out 4:19 in the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LPRVNvfFOU

When Barb can do that, why not DH who's supposedly more agile and acrobatic? I know you can't use Vault if there's an obstacle on its path, but this is not the case. So, when there are no walls or anything like that and you have a clear view of the lower floor, I think DH should be able to use Vault to go down.
Edited by Nemesis on 9/24/2011 9:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
Yeah, it's kinda weird when you realize the literal meaning of vault usually means to go over an obstacle.
Reply Quote
wondered same thing

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3229373763
Reply Quote
wondered same thing

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3229373763

Yeah, I saw that video as well. Maybe Blizz could change Vault animation, so instead of moving in a straight line, DH would be vaulting in an arch form (you know, like somersaults through the air), which would then allow DH to "land" on a spot without getting stuck. It also fits with another literal meaning of vault (an arched roof or ceiling) as well.
Edited by Nemesis on 9/24/2011 10:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would like to see this changed as well. Getting stuck on even the smallest steps is very frustrating. I understand that we never leave the ground so we can't do most of the stuff a barb can but we should be able to vault where ever there is a path open such as the stairs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/23/2011 03:40 AMPosted by Chaarlie
I would like to see this changed as well. Getting stuck on even the smallest steps is very frustrating. I understand that we never leave the ground so we can't do most of the stuff a barb can but we should be able to vault where ever there is a path open such as the stairs.

I am all for each class having a certain flavor but I am NOT interested in the Demon Hunter's mobility spell being completely gimped to keep with the "uniqueness" of classes.. Yeah cuz we really want our defining characteristic to be "Vault is useless"
Reply Quote
ever tried to cartwheel down stairs? that's why
Reply Quote
09/23/2011 09:16 AMPosted by Clockwerk

DH is not your average joe.
Obvious troll is obvious.
Reply Quote
09/23/2011 01:40 PMPosted by Nemesis

Still, rolling/tumbling/cartwheeling is hard enough on a flat surface. For realism's sake, a jump is much easier to do than a roll/tumble down stairs.
Reply Quote
Still, rolling/tumbling/cartwheeling is hard enough on a flat surface. For realism's sake, a jump is much easier to do than a roll/tumble down stairs.

But we're not talking about realism here...
Edited by Nemesis on 9/23/2011 10:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/23/2011 01:42 PMPosted by Carlomagno

Quoting realism in a game where people summon meteors from the air to destroy enemies is a little silly.

It's not a game designed around realism, players are supposed to feel overly powerful and awesome. I, for one, think that a shadowy front flip that somersaults through the air would be more awesome than the front flip that gets caught on the edge of the table.
Reply Quote
09/23/2011 01:42 PMPosted by Carlomagno

Tumbling down the stairs is hard?

/Boggle
Reply Quote

Ever try to cartwheel 70 yards?
Reply Quote

I have, and can vouch that its not a good idea (I'm no DH though.)
Reply Quote
Realism or not, the animation that is essentially a cartwheel wouldn't work. It would need a different animation.

Whether it should happen or not is a different thing.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
No handed cartwheel with a little arch to get over small ground obstacles and handrails. Would make the shoot while vaulting runestone animation pretty sweet as the Dh would have his/her hands free.
Reply Quote
I like the point of this tread... Demon Hunters' Vault ability should not get hung up on small obstacles and should be able to 'jump' down balconies and stairs like the Barbarians' Leap Attack.

Who cares what the ability is called or looks like (with respect to it's functionality)... Very good point and I hope for some more discussion.
Reply Quote
It doesn't need to let you jump down a ledge. Even if you put aside realism for a second, movement and positioning skills really don't need to do the same thing. Vault, teleport, spirit walk, they all do different things, and it's fine like that. Each class is played a different way with unique perks to each skill.
Reply Quote
This is a great point. I hope this gets some attention.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]