Diablo® III

The Gargantuan's new Alabaster rune OP?

Blah Blah Blah theory crafting before we can even plan the game. Based on the tooltip alone the Alabaster rune for the Gargantuan is going to be THE rune to use. Not only is the Gargantuan's Damage is increased to 210% of your weapon damage as Physical but gives a periodic stun 3 second? That's more damage, consistently, than the Crimson rune's enrage (which only lasts for 15 seconds once every 2 minutes). Only the Indigo rune's cleave has potential to be as useful, but that's only if it makes every swing of his fists a cleave.

I know that it all comes down to what people are looking for in a build (AOE, Dots, tanking, etc), but this is some interesting food for thought. What's everyone else think?
Reply Quote
Remember to take into account how slow pets attack in D3, compared to the machinegun summons we had in Diablo 2. By the time your dogs bite twice, you can fire off 6 billion Flamebombs. Being a giant, his attack speed might be even slower. I wouldnt worry about it.
Reply Quote
I've seen builds with every rune on the gargantuan except golden. Indigo and Obsidian seem better for AOE damage and I would guess out perform Alabaster in most AOE scenarios. Alabaster and Crimson seem like the single target runes Crimson being superior for 15 seconds out of every 120 seconds and Alabaster being the better sustained damage rune. Golden doesn't seem worth the cost of losing the gargantuan after 20 seconds. I personally prefer Indigo, even if cleave isn't every attack if there are a lot of mobs if should out perform Alabaster.
Reply Quote
Alabaster (210% base attack) looks to be the best vs a single target with the stun (looks good for pvp).
Indigo (210% cleave attack) will be the best vs multiple targets and you'll pull a lot of packs of trash mobs in this game.
Obsidian (45% per second) has the constant damage to hit everything near it, but the damage is low (lower than the Zombie Dogs with crimson doing 70% per second). I'd rate this option as third best behind Alabaster and Indigo.

We can't test it to see them in action and how slow Gar attacks, but Indigo appears to be the best for fast clearing.
Reply Quote
Very good points. After thinking about it Indigo will most likely be as good as Alabaster (especially if it's a cleave every swing). I'll probably aim to get one of each and use em situationally.

Golden... I could see it being useful if it removed the cooldown, as only having a slightly stronger Garg for only 20 seconds every 2 minutes is useless.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
In D2 it really wasn't the minions you needed alive for the hordes of demons anyway, it was your basic attacks, that's why I liked the crimson rune. It gives the added boost for the boss fights, where you really want that killing power.
Edited by Aberdine on 9/26/2011 6:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/24/2011 11:37 AMPosted by Vondrake
Indigo and Obsidian seem better for AOE damage and I would guess out perform Alabaster in most AOE scenarios.

agree
Reply Quote
09/26/2011 06:39 PMPosted by Aberdine
In D2 it really wasn't the minions you needed alive for the hordes of demons anyway, it was your basic attacks, that's why I liked the crimson rune. It gives the added boost for the boss fights, where you really want that killing power.

But the temporary boost it gives is negligible. 200% damage and 15% movement and aspd boost for 15 seconds every 2 minutes VS 210% damage with either a stun or cleave active for 2 minutes of every 2 minutes. Maybe I'm missing something, but the choice seems pretty obvious.

Inb4 Blizz buffs the crimson rune and makes me look like a jerk~
Reply Quote
The way I'm reading the skill seems to suggest Crimson is inherently inferior.

The Gargantuan does 30% of your weapon damage. If he gains 200% physical damage, he now does 90% of your weapon damage, as it was not 200% of your damage. He also attacks marginally faster, and so on, but it doesn't at add up to the same effect as 210%, and it has a 12.5% uptime. Crimson either needs a rewording or a reworking, as in its current state, it has no legitimate use.

Gogo Alabaster and Indigo.
Reply Quote
Obsidion is the best bet.
Reply Quote
Will you be able to control that pet or not at all? Meaning in PvP, if I want him to TAR X target for stun, will this be possible or will he just TAR anything randomly.
Reply Quote
Yeah it is weird that there are some runes that are clearly inferior in every way to competing runes. Hopefully Blizz will get on top of it and rebalance things when the game is live.

Hopefully there'll be a thread regarding runes that need attention and Blizz can fix them on the fly.
Edited by Cujo on 10/4/2011 3:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]