Diablo® III

Fire it up! The Batdoctor

87 Draenei Shaman
Here's my ideal WD build. Before you disregard it because of zombie dogs being a skill, I'm assuming by the time the game launches or at higher difficulties they will fix spellswitching being so simple so that the spells you select actually have a real meaning.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#VkecbT!ZXd!ZYcbaZ

Firebats with Crimson Rune for the highest AoE damage (would switch with zombie chargers w/ red rune if I could confirm they can be cast faster or as fast as once per second).

Zombie Wall with barricade mostly for crowd control. If the zombies don't act as an actual wall but are just a line of damage which enemies can cross then I'd switch the rune to Unrelenting Grasp for kiting.

Horrify for CC beyond the zombies, slotted for extra duration so I only have to worry about 8 seconds of not having it up. I considered mass confusion slotted for CD reduction instead but from what I've heard, since it's only 'some' enemies nearby, it's not as reliable. The other other option is alabaster slotted plague of toads, but I'd need to see how they worked first and how reliable they were.

Haunt for Mana Return. With three of them rolling on enemies you're getting 100% weapon damage back as mana every second. Damage isn't bad either.

Zombie Dogs. This is the most uncertain part of the build for me, but I think even ignoring the dogs themselves, four dogs + crimson sac means a 160% damage bonus at all times. Alabaster rune and passive gives them extra staying power which, given how squishy minions were in D2, I'm guessing will be very valuable. The health for you isn't bad either.

Sac is pretty self explanitory.

Passives: Vermin for 20% more Firebats damage, which is your primary DPS. Same with Pierce the Veil. Hopefully the mana returns from haunt can compensate for the increased cost, but if not I'd probably take Rush of Essence instead, for better sustain.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
09/25/2011 09:08 PMPosted by Damukag
Here's my ideal WD build. Before you disregard it because of zombie dogs being a skill, I'm assuming by the time the game launches or at higher difficulties they will fix spellswitching being so simple so that the spells you select actually have a real meaning.

What?
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Shaman
Basically right now you can switch out your abilities and spells where ever you are. This means that any min/maxing WD is basically summon/saccing dogs every 60 seconds and then switching the two spells out for more useful fare when they actually go into combat.

What I'm saying is that I imagine (hope) Blizzard will fix that by the time the real game rolls around so that you can't just do that, meaning that if you want zombie dogs and the sacrifice bonus, you have to roll with both spells on your bar.
Reply Quote
81 Dwarf Warlock
Are people really thinking you can just switch skills like that? You can't, anyone that's played the game at BlizzCon knows this. You need tomes of relearning.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Shaman
You can in the beta.
Reply Quote
are you saying the buff from saccing the dogs remains?
all i know is i remember a stream where someone asked about keeping the dogs themselves with the skill off your bar, and the streamer said that does not work since the dogs expire immediately if you do that. given that blizz did that, i imagine the buff from saccing will also be removed when you switch out, and that it was a simple oversight.

they're probably still going to let people switch skills on the fly, but not without losing the buffs and whatnot that they gain from them. edit: i agree with you though. currently, switching into and out of dogsaccing every 60 seconds seems like a really awkward minmax nuisance, and a very unintended mechanic. i hope they limit when you can switch skills (perhaps akin to how GW does it)

anyways, i like the build. horrify seems awkward, though- your enemies will be running every which way, making it hard to spew bats all over more than 1 or 2 at a time. maybe something like soul harvest with siphon/swallow/languish would be better, depending on which of those 3 you desire. imagine shooting bats with soul harvest+languish+dogsac. uber damage on snared enemies
Edited by slowpoke on 9/26/2011 4:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I commend someone else actually putting the dogs up on their bars instead of thinking you can edge out another ability. Really, I think it's kind of balanced if you're only intending to use sacrifice as an artificial 60 second damage cooldown and buff ability. I only see it being situational for bosses or spell monsters where your dogs are likely to die or not provide adequate support anyway.

Many people are assuming that the buff is attached to the sacrifice skill and not the dogs, and many switch the dogs out for a Utility or other ability. To me it ends up being like this where you end up spending 10 seconds out of every minute of your game time simulating your witch doctor pooping, sure I guess. It's a theoretical min-max.

Looking at the slew of spells I'd argue that an alabaster sacrifice which would probably do more damage and shift make the dog/sacrifice playstyle more sustainable, so it's gameplay choice
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock
09/26/2011 04:07 PMPosted by slowpoke
anyways, i like the build. horrify seems awkward, though- your enemies will be running every which way, making it hard to spew bats all over more than 1 or 2 at a time. maybe something like soul harvest with siphon/swallow/languish would be better, depending on which of those 3 you desire. imagine shooting bats with soul harvest+languish+dogsac. uber damage on snared enemies

Horrify wouldn't be used on CD or anything like that. I just figured having an 'oh !@#$' cooldown to give you time to reset positioning for yourself and your zombie wall might be useful, especially on higher difficulties.
Reply Quote
81 Dwarf Warlock
I know you can in beta, I've been playin it for weeks.

In the REAL game, however, you cannot. You need to use the Tomes.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warlock

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the info.
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Shaman
Wrong character.
Reply Quote
Hang on, are you saying that you can swap to Summon Zombie Dogs, summon them, and then swap it out for something else and still have your Zombie Dogs out?

I would've thought that they'd disapear when you swapped the spell out.

Whoa, hangon, say what? I haven't heard anything about that before.
Edited by Cujo on 9/27/2011 12:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It's a good build.

I would recommend swapping out your two CC's (wall and horrify) for more summons. In particular Horrify though, fire bats relies on lots of units being clumped up and close in order to burn them down. Horrify seems to do exactly the opposite, and pushes units away from you. Granted, crimson does increase the range.

Adding in the gargantuan, and corpse spider with Indigo rune will mean you'll effectively still have CC in the form of meat shields, but they will be also dealing strong AoE damage
Edited by Haggis on 9/27/2011 5:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hang on, are you saying that you can swap to Summon Zombie Dogs, summon them, and then swap it out for something else and still have your Zombie Dogs out?

Currently you can swap skills in beta, but summons and buffs dissapear when you swap them. Blizzard is looking into stoping people from skill swaping, but they said they want people to experiment with all the skills.

This build will have problems with fire damage in hell and inferno, i assume.
Edited by Audio on 9/27/2011 4:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Draenei Shaman

Currently you can swap skills in beta, but summons and buffs dissapear when you swap them. Blizzard is looking into stoping people from skill swaping, but they said they want people to experiment with all the skills.

This build will have problems with fire damage in hell and inferno, i assume.

Unfortunately the majority of the WD's highest damage skills (frogs, dart, bats) are all fire based.

If I really had issues with fire damage, I would swap out Firebats for Crimson Runed Zombie Charger and change the Vermin passive to Gruesome Feast. Marginally less damage per cast, higher mana efficiency means I ostensibly spam it harder.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Mage
blues have already posted their concern about hotswapping skills in combat. it will be fixed. also, it confirms that the tomes of relearning from blizzcon were dumped.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]