Diablo® III

Only 4 Types of Gems?

Has this been previously discussed? Are there more types of gems going to be released. Four gems lacks variation even with the addition of the mystic's enchants.
Reply Quote
I'd like to see at least one more gem added for resistances.
Reply Quote
It has been discussed, see here (the 'Gems' thread). There is some reasoning to only having 4.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3229386812

Essentially, it boils down to each gem corresponding to an attritube, of which there are 4. Also, nearly all the customisation that used to be present in gems has now been moved to enchantment by the Mystic, and runes.
Reply Quote
BRING THE SKULLS AND DIAMONDS BACK!!!!!!!

......please.....

:)

-EDTAkiller
Reply Quote
Well.. Eternity. You are right there are four attributes. How come these attributes cannot be split. Example half magic find and gold find. Or half attack and precision. I could digress further.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
You can put Attack gems in half of your sockets and Precision gems in the other half... Splitting it gem-wise offers no real benefit.
Reply Quote
seems like WoW a bit too much, I'm guessing stat points will scale your damage quite a bit, but not action-y enough imo
Reply Quote
09/26/2011 05:53 PMPosted by Meatcarnage
Well.. Eternity. You are right there are four attributes. How come these attributes cannot be split. Example half magic find and gold find. Or half attack and precision. I could digress further.

My understanding is that Blizzard wasn't going for gems with a variety of different properties like in D2. They just wanted them to boost the 4 core attributes, or if you put them in a helm, they do 1 of 4 % based improvements.

Putting in an extra gem that was half of one and half of another would be possible - but not necessary. I like the idea, personally, of having 1 gem for each attribute.
Reply Quote
Gems are placeholders, expect things to change about them soon enough.

- Names of ranks already changed, as "round" gems aren't around and "perfect" gems are back in. They may change again.

- The recipes are placeholders. Theres an extremely high chance the highest recipes will require 2 of a gem instead of 3. The question isn't IF but "at where". Either rank 9 or 10, depends on which they think will put the player at a "2 month" acquisition rate (minus buying gems from AH of course).

- The stats themselves will be more specific. "Helm" and "Other", is a terrible placeholder stat and you'll obviously see something 3-5'd instead.

Armor + Weapon + Shield/Offhand *or*
Helm/Chest/Pants + Shoulder/Shield + Gloves/Weapon + Boots/Offhand *or*
Helm/Shoulder + Chest/Pants + Gloves/Boots + Weapon + Shield/Offhand

- The different gems will probably not be final either. I can see them not including a skull as a gem for obvious reasons, but not including a DIAMOND is just blasphemy. Chances are there will be a diamond and itll probably not be as terrible as the D2 one lol.

- Expect a transmutation recipe or two. Using a gem with crafting materials to turn it into a different gem of the same level. And probably a transmute that allows you to convert 3 of a certain gem to get an unattuned rune of a certain level. Probably TONS of transmutation recipes as transmuting stuff was definitely a successful idea in d2.
Reply Quote
2nd the skull and diamond design.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]