Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
It has been discussed, see here (the 'Gems' thread). There is some reasoning to only having 4.
Essentially, it boils down to each gem corresponding to an attritube, of which there are 4. Also, nearly all the customisation that used to be present in gems has now been moved to enchantment by the Mystic, and runes.
My understanding is that Blizzard wasn't going for gems with a variety of different properties like in D2. They just wanted them to boost the 4 core attributes, or if you put them in a helm, they do 1 of 4 % based improvements.
Putting in an extra gem that was half of one and half of another would be possible - but not necessary. I like the idea, personally, of having 1 gem for each attribute.
Gems are placeholders, expect things to change about them soon enough.
- Names of ranks already changed, as "round" gems aren't around and "perfect" gems are back in. They may change again.
- The recipes are placeholders. Theres an extremely high chance the highest recipes will require 2 of a gem instead of 3. The question isn't IF but "at where". Either rank 9 or 10, depends on which they think will put the player at a "2 month" acquisition rate (minus buying gems from AH of course).
- The stats themselves will be more specific. "Helm" and "Other", is a terrible placeholder stat and you'll obviously see something 3-5'd instead.
Armor + Weapon + Shield/Offhand *or*
Helm/Chest/Pants + Shoulder/Shield + Gloves/Weapon + Boots/Offhand *or*
Helm/Shoulder + Chest/Pants + Gloves/Boots + Weapon + Shield/Offhand
- The different gems will probably not be final either. I can see them not including a skull as a gem for obvious reasons, but not including a DIAMOND is just blasphemy. Chances are there will be a diamond and itll probably not be as terrible as the D2 one lol.
- Expect a transmutation recipe or two. Using a gem with crafting materials to turn it into a different gem of the same level. And probably a transmute that allows you to convert 3 of a certain gem to get an unattuned rune of a certain level. Probably TONS of transmutation recipes as transmuting stuff was definitely a successful idea in d2.
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.