Diablo® III

Corpse Spider Animation

Hey everyone.

As many of you know, the current animation for Corpse Spider is that the WD throws a jar of spiders at the targets, jar breaks and then the spiders proceed to attack nearby foes.

As I was watching some vids and reading articles (old ones) I found out that it had different animation back then. The WD would summon a zombie from the ground and that Zombie spits out (or vomits o.o) spiders.

None of the runestones on the calculator leads me to believe that that was rune effect so I'm guessing Blizz changed the animation. I don't know why though.

I personally prefer the older animation with the vomiting corpse. I think it just fits more than the jar throwing.

Which one do you guys prefer?
Reply Quote
60 Human Warlock
I would definitely prefer something more fitting. The corpse sounds good. It sounds like it would have a similar animation to acid cloud with the crimson rune. Maybe thats why it was changed.. to keep the two spells from looking too similar.

Even so..id rather have the two similar looking spells than the jar.

When I first saw the spider animation I was immediately turned off by the ability. It just doesnt look good imo.
Reply Quote
I guess that's why it's called Corpse Spiders.... spiders that come from a corpse. Not sure why they kept the name though. I guess Jar of Spiders doesn't sound that great lol.
Edited by Cujo on 9/21/2011 8:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/21/2011 08:36 AMPosted by Fish
The real question is, is it humane to keep spiders locked up in a jar all day?

Just punch some holes in the lid!

Also, they should take a cue from TF2 and rename it to Jarachnids.

/jokes
Reply Quote
Here's one of the earlier versions of the spell from 2009:

This skill is now called Carrion Spider, a summoning spell that causes a human corpse to erupt from the ground. This gruesome zombie sits up out of the earth and vomits out a large, milky-colored spider, before sinking back into the ground and vanishing from sight. The spider then functions as a minion, racing over to an enemy and latching onto them, dealing considerable poison damage for some duration of time. The spell can be cast repeatedly, just to watch the gruesome zombie animation, and sometimes the spider actually bursts through the zombie corpse’s chest, rather than waiting to be vomited up.

taken from http://www.diablowiki.net/Corpse_Spiders

Hope they bring that back. :)
Reply Quote
So long as they're spammable I'm happy - whatever version it is.
Reply Quote
I expect corpse spiders to be something like corpse explosion. So basically spiders come out of a corpse that you just killed.

However they get there, I really don't care. Still gonna be a fun skill.
Reply Quote
It wasn't a zombie it was a statue. It was REMOVED from the game because the effect was hard to see and was very boring as a skill. Corpse Spiders may have been added because of the removal but not that anyone knows.

I believe this specifically was talked about in an interview or I read that from the fansite wiki. Take it with a grain of salt though, I'm not going to go looking for the source.

EDIT: Here it is.

This skill was initially called Spider Totem. In the earliest version it summoned three large spiders from the earth wherever the Witch Doctor targeted the spell. They swarmed over nearby enemies, dealing poison damage. <- this was the lame one.

During development in 2009 this skill was changed to Corpse Spiders, and the summon now pulled a Zombie partially out of the earth, from which the spiders burst (or were vomited) forth. <- current
Edited by Ribak on 9/22/2011 8:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
During development in 2009 this skill was changed to Corpse Spiders, and the summon now pulled a Zombie partially out of the earth, from which the spiders burst (or were vomited) forth. <- current

That isn't current. The current one is just a jar being thrown onto the ground, smashes and spiders come out.
Edited by Cujo on 9/22/2011 9:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I liked the idea of that spider spittin' zombie
Reply Quote
I would definitely prefer something more fitting. The corpse sounds good. It sounds like it would have a similar animation to acid cloud with the crimson rune. Maybe thats why it was changed.. to keep the two spells from looking too similar.

Even so..id rather have the two similar looking spells than the jar.

When I first saw the spider animation I was immediately turned off by the ability. It just doesnt look good imo.

Kinda funny, my reaction was the exact opposite, as soon as I saw the witch doctor throw a jar and spiders pop out... I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE ABILITY and wanted to make it the main focus of my build!
Reply Quote
Yeah I made a thread based solely on Corpse Spiders. Because I'd be spamming Corpse Spiders like absolute crazy, I went really heavy on mana regeneration, perhaps over the top lol. But here was my Corpse Spider build.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WbcgPQ!dZU!cabbbb

But yeah, I fell in love with this spell too.
Edited by Cujo on 9/25/2011 4:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]