Diablo® III

Diablo II to Diablo III? [D2 SPOILERS]

85 Goblin Priest
So at the end of Diablo II Tyrael destroys the corrupted worldstone this changing the Diablo Universe forever. Do we know how this event transitions into Diablo III? Until Diablo III was announced I always assumed that destroying the worldstone simply meant an end of the Diablo Universe but obviously I was incorrect.

Sorry not a huge lore buff. I've played through the games but never read the books.
Edited by Sykros on 9/21/2011 10:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Undead Warlock
It begins with Cain wondering why Sanctuary hadnt become a battleground after 20 years. He returns to Tristram seeking answers in the abandoned Horadric monaestaery....until a meteor falls out of the sky and hits it with him and his guards inside, causing it to partially collapse.
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Paladin
Interestingly, this is the exact same kind of thing Blizzard did with the Starcraft story. There is this weird 3 year gap in time between SC1 and 2 that is never really explained anywhere that I've seen. The Zerg seemed like they were on the verge of being super awesome, but then just went into hibernation for a while.

This makes me think that Metzen or someone on the writing team just likes the idea of time gaps more than explanations for them.
Reply Quote
They haven't told us just yet what's happened in the 20 years in between. However, they are releasing a book called the "Book of Cain" which is a Journal that explains the 20 year-gap from Cain's point of view.
They haven't told us just yet what's happened in the 20 years in between. However, they are releasing a book called the "Book of Cain" which is a Journal that explains the 20 year-gap from Cain's point of view.

didnt know that =o THAT SOUNDS like JUICY info .... but most likely be released after D3 or right before it.
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Paladin

Wow really? I just looked it up but I couldn't find an author. Hope it's not Christie Golden.
Reply Quote

Wow really? I just looked it up but I couldn't find an author. Hope it's not Christie Golden.

Better Golden than Knaak.
Reply Quote
I love Diablo Lore, but good lord, Knaak builds up these amazing scenes then finishes the novel 2 pages later. I die a little inside, each time it happens.
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Paladin
You guys think Golden is better? Arthas and The Shattering were two of the worst genre novels I've read in a long time. And I read me some genre. She doesn't know how to make anything seem meaningful.
Reply Quote
09/24/2011 08:27 AMPosted by Greyside
You guys think Golden is better? Arthas and The Shattering were two of the worst genre novels I've read in a long time. And I read me some genre. She doesn't know how to make anything seem meaningful.

Really? I actually enjoyed Devil's Due (sc2) by her..
Reply Quote
09/24/2011 08:27 AMPosted by Greyside

Given that Knaak is the equivalent of a fanfiction.com Mary Sue writer who has money to be published, yes, I think Golden is better.
Reply Quote
Interestingly, this is the exact same kind of thing Blizzard did with the Starcraft story. There is this weird 3 year gap in time between SC1 and 2 that is never really explained anywhere that I've seen. The Zerg seemed like they were on the verge of being super awesome, but then just went into hibernation for a while.

This makes me think that Metzen or someone on the writing team just likes the idea of time gaps more than explanations for them.

I'm not sure if you're just trolling but the Zerg went quiet because Kerrigan became aware of the Dark Voice and the prophecy. This led to her trying to learn more about it. Zeratul was doing this also, though only after Kerrigan has learned much.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
Can we have a better writer than Knaak or Golden? I'd like to keep them confined to their respective universes...
Reply Quote
The books going to be released NEXT MONTH on the 25th.
Reply Quote
The world stone is destroyed in D2 (obviously) which was originally placed on sanctuary a little after Mephisto made a truce with heaven stating that sancuary would be treated as neutral to keep the nephalem (ancient angel demon offspring that are precursors to humans) from realising their true power because apparently they were way stronger than angels or demons by themselves... SOOO... now that the worldstone is gone we can assume that humans might begin to change back into the nephalem being as the worldstone made them 'humans'. so heaven probably sent another worldstone to 'keep the little man down' and tried to kill deckard cain because he is starting to piece the conspiracy of heaven and hell together. (that humans are the key to victory in the sin war and tyrael is the only one in heaven who cares the least for humans)
as well as battling the minions of hell, I think the corruption of heaven will be made more clear.
Reply Quote
10/17/2011 11:19 AMPosted by Jahaga
When Uldyssian and Rathma enter the Worldstone chamber, they notice several smaller crystals flying around the Worldstone itself and crashing upon one another, forming larger crystals.
One the LOD cinematic trailers focused on the Worldstone did feature clashing crystals that revolved around the artifact IIRC, although the cut-scene never did appear in the final product.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]