Diablo® III

Unattuned Runes

Does anyone know if these act as a wild card? I take it you can later turn them into the runes you desire... Any confirmation on that thought?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
I think an interview from a while ago suggested that to keep people farming for a while you would at first get an unattuned rune, then when you socket it, it becomes a random rune that is used for that skill only. That would keep people farming as I assume that some people will be extremely unlucky (me for example).
That being said, I'm not 100% sure if anything has changed since then.
Reply Quote
Might you still have that interview lying around?
Reply Quote
Q: Well do it! What would you like to tell us about the runes?

A: So one of the things that...the rune system is probably the only significant system that still has a significant amount of revision coming to it. So all the content isn’t changing: the different types of runes and the way you alter the skills and everything, that’s all basically staying the same. One of the things we’ve found...and you guys haven’t gotten a chance to play with it unfortunately, but...one of the things we’ve found is when you take a rune and look at it, you get “this is what it can do in all six skills.” It’s a nightmare point of comparison. It feels really bad after a while and that’s one of the things in the internal alpha that we got feedback on that we tried to address. So we also kind of like the idea of...runes are not items in the true Diablo sense of what an “item” is. And by the way, this is all theory; we haven’t put this in yet, so this is the way we think we’re going to go, but it’s not solidified. So keep that in mind when you report on it, make sure you say “this is theory,” but I feel like it’s theory worth sharing, especially with the fan community. What I mean by “they’re not items in the traditional sense” is they dont have randomness to them. A rank 7 Indigo rune is a rank 7 Indigo rune. It doesn’t have a better or worse version of it. Runes are also this awesome way for us to add a little more investment into the skills that you’ve chosen. So what we’re thinking about doing is essentially having runes dropped Unattuned, which means they’re kind of grey and generic, they don’t actually have a type. And then you pop them into a skill, and when you do that, the rune attunes to that skill; you can still remove the rune freely whenever you want, but now that rune is not an Indigo rune, it is a Magic Missile splitting rune. And on top of the Magic Missile splitting effect, it might give you a couple other affixes, like +10 Attack or something like that. And the reason we’re talking about doing that is, one, it...with the ability to kind of switch skills out, it would be nice to kind of have a soft mechanism that does make you want to focus on the skills that you want to focus on. When you have a rune that only has one effect on one skill, the point of comparison becomes a lot easier. And it really adds in the item game. It means that there’s really valuable rank 7 runes and meh OK rank 7 runes. And that’s something that we’d really like to see because it plays into how we want the item game in Diablo to play.

Q: So you’re saying that any rank 7 rune would fit any class’s specific skills, or you’re saying it would just fit one specific skill?

A: Well, when it drops it fits nothing. It could be put anywhere. But once you put it, it (SCHWING!) and at that point it transforms into Magic Missile rune or whatever skill you put it into. And at that point, it’s locked forever. So that kind of a lock choice we like because it’s one that you can make over and over again. And it’s one that, yeah, if you didn’t get something you want, that’s not that dissimilar to getting any other item drop that you don’t want. So that feels a lot better than making a permanent choice that I can never unmake. We felt like it was a really kind of different idea. We haven’t tried it out yet. So it might suck. I’m gonna put that caveat out there, but that’s the one thing we still want to try with that system, and if it works, we’ll keep it. If it doesn’t, then the system works pretty well as it is.
Reply Quote
I have heard Jay's interview. I was hoping that they would go with something more like you pick up a rune, for example crimson rune. Now I look at only what the crimson rune does for each of my skills. I drop it in to the skill I want it (Magic Missiles) and THEN (SCHWING!) it's a Crimson Rune of Magic Missiles and can't be used in other skills.

The problem I see with the straight unattuned rune is that for some skills maybe crimson is awesome, but golden is terrible. That's all fine if runes aren't rare, but from what I've heard rank 7 runes are going to be hard to come by and it's lame that you wouldn't have at least a little more control.

I don't think you should be able to just take runes and pop them into any skill, that would be boring as I'd just need at most 30 rank 7 runes (6 skill slots and 5 different types of runes, and pass them through the shared stash to different characters). With unattuned runes the chance of getting what you want is pretty slim. With my suggestion, there would be 565 (113 skills over the 5 characters and 5 types of runes) and you'd have some extra control over what your skills end up looking like. To me that sounds more fun than "well I just got another alabaster stone of terrible"
Reply Quote
With that system i thought i recall him saying it could also get some other affixes like + something to something? If i remember correctly they are still revising this system and he said if it doesn't feel right they will revert to where just regular runes drop.
Reply Quote
I have heard Jay's interview. I was hoping that they would go with something more like you pick up a rune, for example crimson rune. Now I look at only what the crimson rune does for each of my skills. I drop it in to the skill I want it (Magic Missiles) and THEN (SCHWING!) it's a Crimson Rune of Magic Missiles and can't be used in other skills.

The problem I see with the straight unattuned rune is that for some skills maybe crimson is awesome, but golden is terrible. That's all fine if runes aren't rare, but from what I've heard rank 7 runes are going to be hard to come by and it's lame that you wouldn't have at least a little more control.

I don't think you should be able to just take runes and pop them into any skill, that would be boring as I'd just need at most 30 rank 7 runes (6 skill slots and 5 different types of runes, and pass them through the shared stash to different characters). With unattuned runes the chance of getting what you want is pretty slim. With my suggestion, there would be 565 (113 skills over the 5 characters and 5 types of runes) and you'd have some extra control over what your skills end up looking like. To me that sounds more fun than "well I just got another alabaster stone of terrible"

Do you mean in other words:
as an alternative, how about instead of dropping gray unattuned runes that can produce any color rune with any affix/random property, they instead drop unattuned colored runes. This gives you more control on what skill you would use it for to get the desired rune effect for the skill. Then when you stick it in a skill, it attunes to it and rolls it's random property.

This still leaves a fair amount of control for skill choice while giving randomness for min-maxing character builds that Jay Wilson was talking about earlier. That would also fix hot swapping colored runes between skills... if you saw it as a problem that is.

If so, I could go with this!
Edited by MadGar on 9/25/2011 6:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]