Diablo® III

Attacks per second and slow speed items

09/22/2011 09:03 PMPosted by Zarhym
This is correct. The way the systems are currently set up, whether a player dual wields or uses a two-handed weapon mostly comes down to item quality and personal preference. The number crunchers among you will surely find the most effective choice for a given situation, but the difference is still pretty slim when the item quality/attributes are comparable.

This is good news... if it proves true. Stylistically I think I'd like a monk with a staff, but I find myself doubting that the min-maxer in me will find stas than let me do that.
Reply Quote
the thing that makes 2H weps better

is if your casting 1-2 times slower but doing the same dps as 2x1H

thne your using 1/2 -1/3 the Hatred/mana/Rage/ per swing

till they tie in resorce cost to attack speed then 2hs win

mainly in the Demon hunters situation tho
Reply Quote
Isn't that because demon hunters are supposed to be using dual crossbows though?
Reply Quote
About being able to use skills more often with a faster weapon....

You also run out of resources *fast*. Go on, try a DH with two fast hand xbows versus a slow heavy crossbow. You'll be out of hatred with the hand xbows in no time, whereas you can fire the heavy crossbow almost indefinitely.

So, damage may scale, but cost doesn't, that's a fixed amount per cast. Something to consider when picking a weapon :P

I like how you're using DH as example even though hatred is being reworked quite heavily because of hatred starvation...
Reply Quote
Rapid Fire
Hatred Spender
Cost: 40 Hatred initially, and an additional 15 Hatred per second while firing.

Rapidly fire at 6 times your normal attack speed dealing 35% weapon damage with every shot.

this actually slightly favors dw

Not even necessarily dual-wild, just a fast weapon in general. People seem to be ignoring the fact that you can wield a one-hander with a quiver or shield. If you don't use a second one-hander, you also avoid the 10% penalty.
Edited by HRP on 9/25/2011 9:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote

You have it a little mixed up. And I'll fix it up.

Slow weapons = slower hard harder attacks as you said. So less fury used up for the same dps. But also you have less fury generating attacks too cause of the slow weapon speed.

Fast weapons = faster weaker shots. So more fury used to get the same dps. But also more swings is more hits with fury generating abilities too.

So to all equals out in the end. You either:
Generate fury fast and use fury fast (fast weapons)
Generate fury slow and use fury slow (slow weapons)
So it comes down to your individual game play style and what you prefer more.

this basicly. the biggest reason id say as to why the whole matter balance out nicely.
like, for my monk, i wanna go for a very high mobility/fast paced build, so attacking faster and making spirit faster so i can dash around more and use skills more often suits me more.

just like a barb might want to capitalize on bash and other stuff to be like a slow wrecking ball
Reply Quote

2x1H will generate Fury/Hatred/Spirit faster than a 2H. So that counters that concern.
Reply Quote
I know this an IAS issue thread, but when i was reading through it i started checking the balance of stats on items. It seems that every stat can appear on every piece of gear. It seems kinda too imba and this is what i was wondering.

1. How does +50% dmg differ from +50 attack? Are these 2, two different dmg amplifiers?
Example: I have a weapon with 50% dmg increased, and 50 attack(which is also 50%).
The weapons dmg is 100 per sec. So is it 100 * 50% damage increase = 150 * 50 attack =225?
Or is do those add? as in 100% dmg increase so the weapons dmg is increased to 200?

I do like the idea of having more than one stat increasing a weapons dmg but i don't see why would they add.

2. Can a Random Propertie be IAS or DMG increased?
Edited by HamSzynka on 9/25/2011 12:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I am pretty sure 2 one handed weapons will have the highest possible dps on skills. As it is a lot faster than the two handed and sometimes it even surpasses the damage. The only downside is that it will require a lot more mana/arcane/whatever to do the higher dps.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
Just trying understand. Let my WD with Overfriend (legendary 2h mace) and build like http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#bTdj!XU!ZaaZ . So during fight WD uses confusion (red rune), hex (alabaster rune), then dogs (red rune), and they do: (560*0.7+560*0.7*170%)*1…4=1.060…4.240 fire dmg per second any in melee radius just by staying near target? “The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire…”
Edited by Papazol on 9/25/2011 2:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
09/25/2011 11:43 AMPosted by Tramik
2x1H will generate Fury/Hatred/Spirit faster than a 2H. So that counters that concern.

The changes to dh should make 2x1 more valuable due to the hatred gen skills. there also the passive

Fundamentals
Increases the damage of your basic attacks by 100%. Your basic attacks restore 15 Hatred.

This allows hatred gen thru auto attack. Barbarians get the gen though without spending a passive. I do not believe that option is available to the monk.
Edited by Frostyblade on 9/25/2011 3:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Does cleave use 1 weapon then the other and so on? Or both at once?

We asked the developers about these situations last week and got a clear answer. Unfortunately, among the multitude of other answers we got, I forgot this one and don't have the information handy right now. ^.^

I'll try to save room for following up on this tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

So... can we get some more follow-up on this topic, or did we get all there is to have right now?
Reply Quote
09/22/2011 09:08 PMPosted by Zarhym
If I understand the question correctly, the damage of a skill modified by weapon damage is based on whatever weapon you happen to be swinging with when using the skill.

can you please clarify if this accounts for both weapons equiped in the case of duel wielding? its hard to tell if you are refering to both weapons or simply a main hand weapon
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
09/26/2011 12:21 PMPosted by Gianturtlcow
If I understand the question correctly, the damage of a skill modified by weapon damage is based on whatever weapon you happen to be swinging with when using the skill.

can you please clarify if this accounts for both weapons equiped in the case of duel wielding? its hard to tell if you are refering to both weapons or simply a main hand weapon

I think he stated it pretty clearly, but let me give an example:

If you use bash (and swing the main hand) the skill will be modified by the damage that the main hand weapon does. However, if you use bash again and swing with the off-hand, it will be modified by the off-hand weapon. This means that when duel wielding using the same skill will have different damager results depending on which hand you happen to swing with.

Hope I did a decent job interpreting that.
Reply Quote
mainly concerned with ww dmg, but im tired of asking the same thing over n over so i'll just go with it uses both cuz it makes life easier and makes the most sense
Reply Quote
Its steadier dmg vs burst for overall the same dps, and this turns out not to be true blizzard will patch and make it true. Also, if any of you played d2 a lot of classes used shields if they wanted to survive anything even in softcore. this may be true in d3 also, we can't tell because the beta is act 1 normal and has to be easy.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
you can use quivers with a 2h bow
Reply Quote
09/28/2011 02:42 PMPosted by Sorreal
Could you answer a question about ranged weapons... Why is it that 2h bows and crossbows aren't equivalent with two 1h crossbows?

That's a vague question. What do you mean by "equivalent"? Do 2 1h crossbows out do the 2h ranged weapons? Or is it the other way around. Why are 2h ranged weapons overpowered compared to their 1h cousins? You question has a person giving a detailed opinion about their preference rather then an answer.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]