Diablo® III

Attacks per second and slow speed items

the thing that makes 2H weps better
is if your casting 1-2 times slower but doing the same dps as 2x1H
thne your using 1/2 -1/3 the Hatred/mana/Rage/ per swing
till they tie in resorce cost to attack speed then 2hs win
mainly in the Demon hunters situation tho

You have it a little mixed up. And I'll fix it up.

Slow weapons = slower hard harder attacks as you said. So less fury used up for the same dps. But also you have less fury generating attacks too cause of the slow weapon speed.

Fast weapons = faster weaker shots. So more fury used to get the same dps. But also more swings is more hits with fury generating abilities too.

So to all equals out in the end. You either:
Generate fury fast and use fury fast (fast weapons)
Generate fury slow and use fury slow (slow weapons)
So it comes down to your individual game play style and what you prefer more.

This only works out if fast weapons and slow weapons have equal DPS. However, this only applies to the Barbarian (and Monk I guess, possibly Demon Hunter depending on the new mechanic).

Hypothetically, if a fast weapon and slow weapon have equal DPS, then they are equal choices for a character who generates his own resource, because your ratio of generating attacks to spending attacks remains the same, and overall DPS remains the same. If this same situation is applied to a Wizard / Witch Doctor that is primarily dependent on regeneration, the fast weapon will burn through their resource much faster, because they are not actively generating it. Yes, I know that some Wizard skills can become pseudo-generators, but that makes the assumption they are relying on those skills instead of natural regeneration.

In the case of a Wizard / Witch Doctor, the appropriate balance would be for slow weapons to have lower DPS, so that fast weapons will compensate for the additional resource usage. However, if this were the case, fast weapons will be immediately superior to slow weapons in the hand of a character generating resource.
Reply Quote
This only works out if fast weapons and slow weapons have equal DPS. However, this only applies to the Barbarian (and Monk I guess, possibly Demon Hunter depending on the new mechanic).

Hypothetically, if a fast weapon and slow weapon have equal DPS, then they are equal choices for a character who generates his own resource, because your ratio of generating attacks to spending attacks remains the same, and overall DPS remains the same. If this same situation is applied to a Wizard / Witch Doctor that is primarily dependent on regeneration, the fast weapon will burn through their resource much faster, because they are not actively generating it. Yes, I know that some Wizard skills can become pseudo-generators, but that makes the assumption they are relying on those skills instead of natural regeneration.

In the case of a Wizard / Witch Doctor, the appropriate balance would be for slow weapons to have lower DPS, so that fast weapons will compensate for the additional resource usage. However, if this were the case, fast weapons will be immediately superior to slow weapons in the hand of a character generating resource.

Disclaimer: Everything I'm saying below relates more to PvE where sustained and burst DPS is just "DPS", unlike PvP where burst is much more preferable.

I'm new to the beta and this all makes sense, but I'd like to add something else to the discussion: If DPS and APS are decoupled [meaning as long as the listed DPS on the weapons are the same, attacks per second is left largely up to player preference], won't this shift the balance massively towards faster weapons due to procs? Whether the procs come from a weapon or a skill is largely irrelevant - more attacks mean more procs. If DPS is the same either way, then the choice is clear... isn't it?
Edited by D3BETA on 9/30/2011 7:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I've played around with the d3db character creator, managed to get what I think is 8-10ish attacks per second for the wizard (for 10 seconds with runed timeslow).

This is beta (Sparta!) though, so the item stats might not mean anything.
That's a 'what if' scenario, if the placeholders don't change much.

If Blizzard's gone over the numbers and how they interact with skills/runes and balanced the weapons based on that, the weapon speed shouldn't affect average dps much.

*+rescources per crit.
*+resources per hit. From passive skill and gear.
*Runed skills that do damage every time you crit.
*highest additional damage per point of resource gained possible.
e.g. Dumping everything quickly on 1-2 big spells then spamming a skill runed for resource gain, rinse & repeat every second or so.

-A fast weapon has additional dps from extra resource gain.
-A slow weapon gains more from +casting speed, +attacks-per-second etc

They've probably balanced it quite well.

A faster weapon gives smoother damage spikes, like a charged Voidray.
A slower weapon like a Siegetank, or a Nuke.
Reply Quote
Has anyone had a chance to think of (or better yet figure out) how weapon speed applies, if at all, to channeled attacks such as Disintegrate, Firebats, etc.?

Rapid Fire is the obvious exception because it states in the tooltip that it scales off weapon speed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]