Diablo® III

Hatred changes

(Locked)

100 Draenei Shaman
Demon hunter's hatred is now changed into hatred spenders and hatred generators. Certain spells use hatred while others generate hatred. I am unfortunately not in the beta, but I have watched videos and read post about hatred, and this is a welcome change. There is now less downtime and more Demon Hunter awesomeness!

But, I have one question left unanswered. Does Hatred still regenerate passively? Sort of like Focus for the hunter in World of Warcraft. If you look at the skill calculator, you get impaling shot (hatred spender) at level 1, but don't get a generator (Hungering arrow) until level 2.
Edited by Avvara on 9/23/2011 9:39 AM PDT
I am not sure this is correct... I would test it but D3 is bugging out right now. As far as I know (from last night playing my DH), hatred regens quickly and simply on its own.
EDIT: never mind, I stand corrected. Just saw the new talent builder. (don't think it's ingame yet)

That being said, I would love to see a whole rebuild of the system. IMO, it would be awesome to have hatred start at zero (i.e. Rage) and become fueled up as the Hunter depleted his discipline/fights enemies.

@Avvara: I will check into the system as soon as I can get back into the game!

Cheers
Edited by BattleDrumz on 9/23/2011 9:41 AM PDT
100 Draenei Shaman
Thank you very much BattleDrumz. It's times like this I really want beta access :(
85 Undead Death Knight
Im betting that not getting a spender at one is a bug, all the other classes that have a gen/spend system get a generator at 1 and a spender at 2.
09/23/2011 11:07 AMPosted by Shinavastia
Im betting that not getting a spender at one is a bug, all the other classes that have a gen/spend system get a generator at 1 and a spender at 2.

Actually, I'd take the fact that you have a spender at level 1 as evidence that Hatred still mostly works as it used to- it's a system that starts at full and naturally regenerates. It would be confusing to a new user to be given a generator at 1 when the resource already starts at full, so they give you a spender to show what your skills cost and to show you that Hatred naturally regenerates quickly.

Odds are that Blizzard heard the complaints about hatred starving in the beta and decided that they'd change some skills to generate hatred so people would have abilities to use once they ran out, rather than being restricted to autoattack/waiting.
100 Draenei Shaman
What i'm thinking is that it will regenerate like it used to (maybe a bit slower). But, you can also use hatred generators to get more hatred back. It solves the hatred starving problem and makes the demon hunter more kickass.

I don't know if the beta is up, but if there is anyone in the beta please post saying if it regens or doesn't.
09/23/2011 11:21 AMPosted by Avvara
I don't know if the beta is up, but if there is anyone in the beta please post saying if it regens or doesn't.

man beta is out, check on youtube. at the moment it regens but theyve changed it so im unsure what it will be like with changes
just checked the skill calc n i think it probably doesnt regenerat by itself. i hope they implement these changes to the DH in the beta just to see how it plays
100 Draenei Shaman

man beta is out, check on youtube. at the moment it regens but theyve changed it so im unsure what it will be like with changes

Dude i know the beta's out....who doesn't know that? Someone said the beta was down earlier this morning.
Edited by Avvara on 9/23/2011 11:54 AM PDT
It seems very likely that Hatred is still passively regenerated, as Strafe costs 2 Hatred per second and is listed as a Hatred generator. This implies either a typo, or passive regen.

Questions:

How will the Grenadier passive need to be changed?

Does Fundamentals still have a place in our skill list?
Edited by Acaelus on 9/23/2011 1:19 PM PDT
I wouldn't be surprised if Fundamentals stays. It's basically the same as Virtuoso for the Wizard; if you can't fit a Signature ability or an ability that just overall generates AP into your build, you have the option of going all heavy-spending with the ability to weave in basic attacks in between.
i would try it this way:

since a demon hunter has hatred, i think of it like a rage for vengence (background) so i would make the hatred half working exacly like the barb's rage, dropping slowly and starting empty (you build your hatred by wounding your enemy) but keep disc. like it is. making a wonderfull balence between Vengence and calm.

according to the new set of skills gen/spend this would work wonders.
switch some passives and runes accordingly...

i think the caps on the present beta are 100 hatred and 30 discipline
the barb has 200 rage i think. keep the same numbers 100/30 :)
rate +1 if you like :)
Edited by MonkForTwny on 9/23/2011 2:50 PM PDT
09/23/2011 11:17 AMPosted by Wind

Actually, I'd take the fact that you have a spender at level 1 as evidence that Hatred still mostly works as it used to- it's a system that starts at full and naturally regenerates. It would be confusing to a new user to be given a generator at 1 when the resource already starts at full, so they give you a spender to show what your skills cost and to show you that Hatred naturally regenerates quickly. ...

I have to agree with this and will also hazard a guess that "white" attacks will not generate Hatred due to that passive regen. This will let them fall more in line with Monks and Barbs who do not have this regen.

Of course this is just guesswork right now. Very excited to see the changes in action!
Edited by Chaarlie on 9/23/2011 3:18 PM PDT
Community Manager
09/23/2011 09:29 AMPosted by Avvara
Does Hatred still regenerate passively?

Yes, but the rate at which it regenerates is about half of what it was previously. By using a skill that generates Hatred you can get it back faster, though.

About a year ago we began to realize that the way we were making people depend on their resource for some classes just wasn't very fun, and so we began to roll out a new skill cost philosophy. Essentially the overall idea is that at any given time (within reason) you should have some option to use a skill and be able to do something, even if you're out of resource. What that means is we can't just have skills that depend on resources to use, but there needs to be a mix of skills that do cost resources, potentially resource generator skills, and some free-to-cast skills (maybe with a cooldown).

The witch doctor has had mana recovery skills since forever, the monk has almost always had spirit generators, so it was really just a matter of rolling that philosophy out to the other classes, and demon hunter was the most recent (and visible now that beta is live and we're exposing all that data).

Bonus! It makes demon hunter build diversity explode like woah.
85 Troll Druid
What that means is we can't just have skills that depend on resources to use, but there needs to be a mix of skills that do cost resources, potentially resource generator skills, and some free-to-cast skills (maybe with a cooldown).

Honestly I think they could have come up with something more interesting than a simple mirror of monk/barb resources as an alternative.

I think it would be interesting if using hatred somehow affected disc. For instance, you could have a system where spending more hatred increases disc generation and then spending disc increases hatred generation. That's just an example and there's probably something better, but it'd be better if hatred wasn't just a mirror or fury and then disc an entirely separate globe. On the other hand you want to avoid a situation where hatred is just a "disc generator".
Edited by Dahippee on 9/23/2011 5:02 PM PDT
09/23/2011 04:03 PMPosted by Bashiok
Does Hatred still regenerate passively?

Yes, but the rate at which it regenerates is about half of what it was previously. By using a skill that generates Hatred you can get it back faster, though.

About a year ago we began to realize that the way we were making people depend on their resource for some classes just wasn't very fun, and so we began to roll out a new skill cost philosophy. Essentially the overall idea is that at any given time (within reason) you should have some option to use a skill and be able to do something, even if you're out of resource. What that means is we can't just have skills that depend on resources to use, but there needs to be a mix of skills that do cost resources, potentially resource generator skills, and some free-to-cast skills (maybe with a cooldown).

The witch doctor has had mana recovery skills since forever, the monk has almost always had spirit generators, so it was really just a matter of rolling that philosophy out to the other classes, and demon hunter was the most recent (and visible now that beta is live and we're exposing all that data).

Bonus! It makes demon hunter build diversity explode like woah.

Thank you for posting this! Been wanting to know more information about my favorite class!
09/23/2011 05:13 PMPosted by iLOVEBEER
Thank you for posting this! Been wanting to know more information about my favorite class!

Seconded. This is the most useful blue post we've gotten in days.
Question Bash, are the skills gonna be fixed on the website soon? Cause right now it says we start off with impale with no hatred generator abilities. Also the strafe ability is listed under hatred generator but it says it costs 2 hatred per second?
85 Troll Druid
I find it odd that Spike Trap is a hatred generator and Elemental Arrow is a spender.

Spike Trap is weird as a generator; I can't see it as something that should be spammed. It's more of a tactical decision. The concept of spamming traps so I can shoot arrows is a little weird.

Elemental seems cheap and weaker and thus would make sense as a generator.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]