Diablo® III

Is discussing the leaked beta an infarction?

85 Draenei Paladin
fuzzy logic here.. where the thread hasn't been closed and locked yet.. discussing it isn't bad..

on the other hand if you had posted a dl link ..
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
09/24/2011 06:49 PMPosted by Cynikul
I'm aware, but I can't imagine Blizzard (or very many other companies.. maybe Bethesda) actually taking the time to go through and root out anyone except for the people responsible for it

Well, by posting about it on their official forums, you're certainly doing your part to bring it to their attention.

What would they gain? Sure, people would be more afraid to do things like this.. but it certainly wouldn't stop most of the people who have the knowledge to.

Have you ever heard the saying that a law isn't valid unless it's enforced? Blizzard has basically a zero tolerance policy about things like this. Remember "bnetd"? Blizzard won that case at a Circuit Court level - reverse engineering the Battle.net protocol broke both the Starcraft and Battle.net license agreements.

Of course people can do it... but by stomping on those who do it publicly, Blizzard will discourage it and keep it from becoming widespread.
"Passion has overthrown tyrants and freed prisoners and slaves. Passion has brought justice where there was savagery. Passion has created freedom where there was nothing but fear. Passion has helped souls rise from the ashes of their horrible lives and build something better, stronger, more beautiful." -- Harry Dresden
Reply Quote
MVP - Customer Support
100 Tauren Druid
09/24/2011 07:12 PMPosted by Cynikul
I don't remember bnetd, it might have been before my time. I started playing D2 in 4th grade.. I'm a junior in college now, so, beats me.

You can read more about it here:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=4369

And here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bnetd

My question was, would they really take the time to trace down individuals? Certainly it would make them a more fearsome company, but, I can't see them taking the time if they've already shut it down completely in the first place.

Suffice it to say, that's not a risk that anyone should want to be taking. Damages could run in the tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars, if Blizzard's lawyers decided to play rough.
"Passion has overthrown tyrants and freed prisoners and slaves. Passion has brought justice where there was savagery. Passion has created freedom where there was nothing but fear. Passion has helped souls rise from the ashes of their horrible lives and build something better, stronger, more beautiful." -- Harry Dresden
Reply Quote
I'm going to preface this by saying I'm completely neutral on the issue, and don't mean to condone the software, nor do I mean to condemn it.

Suffice it to say, that's not a risk that anyone should want to be taking. Damages could run in the tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars, if Blizzard's lawyers decided to play rough.

And the bad PR would likely cost Blizzard more in the long run. Going after the guys who made it? Sure, no problem there. Going after the average Joe using it? Gonna stink up the scene a bit. And they're not really going to gain hundreds of thousands of dollars from the average Joe. The money just isn't there.

And the software isn't really illegal, as long as it's developed in a way that doesn't violate laws. And it very much depends on the country we're talking about, too. American law doesn't mean much when you're not in America.

All that said, the potential trouble with the product probably isn't worth it for the tiny bit it sounds like you can do.
Reply Quote
It is legit in the sense that you can run the game but you can only play demon hunter and only run around town so whats the point.
Reply Quote
...An infarction is a blockage in an artery.

An infraction is the word you're looking for.
Thank the heavens we can always count on the grammar police to show up and help us understand ... um ... 'stuff'.
Reply Quote

I am amazed at how little people know about computers these days.

I'm amazed at how little people know about law these days.

Who keeps going around teaching little people about all this stuff? If we don't keep them uneducated they will eventually rise up *snicker* and over throw us.
Reply Quote
09/24/2011 05:36 PMPosted by Toyodah
ya i hope they are able to scan your system an ban you for having it ..
why waste time

Reply Quote
85 Orc Rogue
http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=5463280175310353497&q=bnetd&hl=en&as_sdt=2,5

I always wonder why blizz doesn't go after the WoW private server runners. Maybe Davidson & Associates was too expensive.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Kay. not downloading it.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
09/24/2011 05:43 PMPosted by Alvraen
It's illegal. Don't do it.

In that case i think I better not, I have other blizz games and I wouldnt't want to be banned from those... or IP banned on release. But how the hell did they get hold of the blizz serverS?
Reply Quote
It emulates the Battle.net server for the beta client. It's happening because Blizzard chose not to put LAN in the game. This open source server will allow anyone to play single-player and in a LAN with friends. The same thing happened with WoW and SC2.

P.S.: Do not download it, I think it is illegal even though it's open source and completely free.

Edit:

But how the hell did they get hold of the blizz servers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineering
Edited by Philippe on 9/24/2011 9:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Oh so someone managed to hack blizz's servers or someone inside copied it into a USB stick?

Edited by Dazzale on 9/24/2011 9:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
...An infarction is a blockage in an artery.

An infraction is the word you're looking for.
Thank the heavens we can always count on the grammar police to show up and help us understand ... um ... 'stuff'.

Hey, this is important.

As awesome as Dr. Greg House is, his life sucks and I would never want to be like him.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]