Diablo® III

Is discussing the leaked beta an infarction?

Just be patient. This isn't like the SC2 crack for the beta, though IP isn't a problem if you use a peerblock program.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage

It emulates the Battle.net server for the beta client. It's happening because Blizzard chose not to put LAN in the game. This open source server will allow anyone to play single-player and in a LAN with friends. The same thing happened with WoW and SC2.

P.S.: Do not download it, I think it is illegal even though it's open source and completely free.

Edit:

But how the hell did they get hold of the blizz servers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineering

Kay... think I understand, private server = definitely illegal. I won't get in trouble for asking here right? The purpose of me asking is to insure myself, so would be ironic if I get banned for it lol.
Reply Quote
09/24/2011 09:32 PMPosted by Dazzale
Oh so someone managed to hack blizz's servers or someone inside copied it into a USB stick?

Basically, they're grabbing the information that gets sent to your computer and cobbling together a working copy of the program based on that.

That's if you use the term "working" loosely.
Reply Quote
Yes, for the people responsible for making it, they'd never sue you for using it.. I'm sure they'd hire expensive lawyers to take on every random person who attempted to use it, what harm is it causing them?

This reminds me of the napster lawsuits, some girl was in the news being sued a couple grand for each illegal song downloaded. I think Lars from Metallica had some suits too, and to think they got big back in mid 80s by passing copies of their songs around, and copies were made and so on...

I don't see a problem getting a copy before release, chances are they'll buy the game anyway, I thought Blizz liked free marketing?? I would rather get a beta key though, safer all around!
Edited by VortexDragon on 9/24/2011 9:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
83 Dwarf Paladin
Using someone else property without their permission is illegal

It may very well turn out like Wow private servers a big law suit against that..

I hope Blizzard legal team sort them out...
Reply Quote

It may very well turn out like Wow private servers a big law suit against that..

I think they wrote it from scratch.
Reply Quote
Yes
I take it when you say infarcation you are determining the tension in cable AB which is holding up force A?
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
I'm pretty sure any kinda private server is illegal and they must have got the code from underhand means. Also it has apparently been done by the same morons who bot diablo 2 24/7 ruining my D2 experience, so only God knows WTF the code will do to my PC. Not gona risk it, that and it's illegal not that that ever stopped any pirates.
Reply Quote
Speaking of the Napster lawsuits et al... When large companies go after end users "experimenting" with someone else's hack, it has cost them way more than what was gained.

The music industry thought they were smart suing each user $10000 in lost sales per track because their argument was that each user was torrenting to 10000 other people who would have bought the track. The total lawsuit was in the billions for a track that would never have sold more than a few hundred thousand copies at best. The judge declared the suits as frivolous and even recommended that future lawsuits of similar intent.

The likelihood of Blizzard blocking your account if they find you have been hacking...near 100%...further action...unlikely. The persons responsible for the hack could have some serious trouble under the digital rights act, though.
Reply Quote

I think they wrote it from scratch.

Doesn't matter. The fact that I typed up a copy of A Game Of Thrones in MS Word instead of photocopying the book doesn't change what it is.
Reply Quote
09/24/2011 10:10 PMPosted by RJMcReady
photocopying the book

That's not reverse engineering.
Reply Quote
I can't believe the comments I'm reading in here.
Reply Quote
09/24/2011 05:33 PMPosted by Dazzale
EDIT: No I have not been stupid enough to download it and I won't. Was just asking if it's illegal/bag of virus before I consider it that's all. No need to rage. Neither did I link to it so it ain't against the TOS to make this thread.

Infarction - isn't that like a heart attack?

I don't get *that* emotional :)
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
well if it was the full game, I would probably be a lot more tempted. If it actually played and worked like the full game. I have a phylosophy to NEVER play any single player games with stats and all (short flash !@#$ is ok), so don't see the point of risking it all to download a broken game.
Edited by Dazzale on 9/24/2011 11:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]