Diablo® III

Item Drops ID

I'm curious how we plan on fighting dupes what not like they was in the past. They are no secret that some guy alot smarter than most of us is going to figure some way to make johnny's windforce 500 times then try to make fat cash off it trading / ebay / selling or whatever

I"m curious if they are going to be countermeasures for this already in place. They seemed to be a fix back when with some "Storm" thing i cant remember what it was. about the time i quit diablo2 for good. But people was still making the runes like mad. I know this cause no backwater site just randomly found zod runes they sell for $0.99. "But can only be sold IN-items.

I just hope this was pre thought of. i want to find items and not be trading 25 duped sojs a year from now or not be trying to get that 199% gaze helm cause they was the duped ones that disapear
Reply Quote
Well, while it still is a worry for everyone jumping into Diablo III, I do have some confidence that the diablo team is doing a lot more this time around to prevent duping and hacking from taking over the game like it did last time around.

You fail to mention that the diablo team has gotten a lot smarter themselves, and are adding one element to Diablo III that should eliminate a lot of control, that element being it's "always online" requirement. No modding or offline activity is going to make it a lot harder for hackers/dupers to modifying the game as they did in the past.

But I'm still worried. I'm praying it won't be an issue. Don't think your issue is a novel one though, there has been lengthy discussion about this exact topic many a time on this board.
Reply Quote
All you need to do is play WoW, there is no item duping. I dont think its going to happen, and if it does, they will catch it and shut the door on who ever was doing it.
Reply Quote
09/24/2011 07:16 PMPosted by Stonewater
No modding or offline activity is going to make it a lot harder for hackers/dupers to modifying the game as they did in the past.

Unless they make a big mistake, the only way to dupe items would be hacking into the D3 servers. There is no reason why some modding or offline play would compromise the online game - Items are generated on the server in D3, duping is gone forever.

Reply Quote
09/24/2011 07:16 PMPosted by Stonewater
No modding or offline activity is going to make it a lot harder for hackers/dupers to modifying the game as they did in the past.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrongwrongwrongwrongwrongwrongwrongwrongwrongwrongwrong.

The removal of single player will not make it any more secure. (Or, perhaps a better way to phrase it would be that the addition wouldn't make it any less secure.) The only positive thing from this change is that you can no longer find drop %s. Everything else remains the same.

I really wish all the non-programmers would do some research before eating up Blizzards every word.
Reply Quote
View profile
'm curious how we plan on fighting dupes what not like they was in the past. They are no secret that some guy alot smarter than most of us is going to figure some way to make johnny's windforce 500 times then try to make fat cash off it trading / ebay / selling or whatever

Unparallel alluded to the point but let me make it clearer.

Duping wont exist in D3 because everything is done on the server side. Just like WoW, the client you install on your computer is mostly just a media assets client.

Every Spell Calculation, loot drop, enemy spawn or combat calculation is done server side; again, just like WoW.

Unless someone is able to hack into the server (which Blizzard has been successful in preventing this in the 8 years WoW has been up and running), then there is ZERO chance duping will occur.

To be even clearer, in Diablo 2, games were HOSTED by peer computers. In Diablo 3, every game is hosted by Blizzard.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]