Diablo® III

A query about runes and inventory

Suppose that I pick up a Level 2 Unattuned rune. I decide to socket into the Wizard skill 'Disintegrate'. The rune becomes a Crimson rune, and attaches itself to the Disintegrate skill forever.

Now suppose that I need to swap my active skills around so that Disintegrate is no longer an active skill. What happens to the rune when I put Disintegrate away? Does the rune get moved back to my inventory? Or does it remain attached to the disintegrate skill (even if it is not active) - effectively hidden from sight when the skill is not active, giving me a 'free' extra storage slot for it?

If it moves back to my inventory, what if my inventory is full? Does it drop on the ground? Or lock the skill so that I cannot change it until I have cleared some space in my inventory? If it drops on the ground - I can see potential for some high level rune theft.

I'm aware that the 'unattuned' business about runes is not currently set in stone, so even if there are no solid answers to these questions at the moment, what would you want the answers to these questions to be?
Edited by Eternity on 9/25/2011 9:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I would think that if you took Disintegrate off the active skill list, the rune would simply stay there (attached to the new skill in that slot). This is the safest method, and prevents requiring inventory space, and possibly dropping a rune. This is what I would want anyway I think.

Or maybe it does go into inventory, unless its full. An interesting question, but I don't see it being very important since I would think they can figure out something reasonable.
Reply Quote
Under the new proposed system, the rune cannot stay in that slot though.

The rune has become a Crimson Rune (Disintegrate) - it only works with Disintegrate. If I change Disintigrate to say, Ice Armour, the rune cannot stay in that slot - it has to be moved either to the inventory, dropped on the ground, or remains attached to the Disintegrate skill but remains hidden somewhere until you re-equip that skill.
Reply Quote
I would like rune crafting recipes that require an unatuned rune and other crafting nicknacks to make it what ever flavor you wanted.

-EDTAkiller
Reply Quote
Its stuck to the skill until you choose to upgrade it with a higher ranked one or choose to not use that skill and it remains there until removed.
Reply Quote
So in effect, I have as many free rune storage spots as I do skills?
Reply Quote
Under the new proposed system, the rune cannot stay in that slot though.

The rune has become a Crimson Rune (Disintegrate) - it only works with Disintegrate. If I change Disintigrate to say, Ice Armour, the rune cannot stay in that slot - it has to be moved either to the inventory, dropped on the ground, or remains attached to the Disintegrate skill but remains hidden somewhere until you re-equip that skill.

I know what you are saying, but we don't know if that's how it works. Yes, the rune becomes a "Crimson rune of Disintegrate", but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be put it any skill. I was thinking it just wouldn't do anything. So you have 6 slots for runes in your active skills, and this never changes.
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 02:01 AMPosted by TBash
Its stuck to the skill until you choose to upgrade it with a higher ranked one or choose to not use that skill and it remains there until removed.

I don't think I understand what you mean really, but I don't think runes will become "stuck", or cannot be taken out of a skill. This is a terrible idea. You will definitely be allowed to remove any rune you want, I would hope.
Reply Quote
once you put a rune into a skill the mystic can pull it out once you have found a higher ranked one. I dont mean stuck i mean once you socket a rune into a skill that rune is with that skill until you choose to upgrade it with a higher ranked one if you switch to a skill that you didnt put a rune in then it will have an empty slot.
Reply Quote
Here is what I think will happen. Say we have six active skills, and six level one runes. We put one rune in each skill and they attune themselves and permanently stay that way. If I switch the active skill Disintegrate for teleport, the crimson rune in what is now teleports slot remains but has no effect, so I take out the rune and put it in my inventory. Then I find a level two unattuned rune and put it in teleport. it attunes itself as an alabaster runestone and remains that for ever. If I switch teleport back to disintegrate than I have to swap the runestones again. Then i find a level three unattuned runestone and put that in disintegrate and it attunes itself as a level three golden rune, and stays as such for ever.

this is purely speculation and what I think will be the best method, but we will see.
Reply Quote
My thoughts on runes: I suspect that, as there are no runes in the beta, we have not been seeing the finalized system. I suspect all skills will have a rune slot, (not the active skill slot) and that slot will not vanish even if the skill is not active. Therefore, by endgame we would likely have runes in every skill we have, at all times, needing only to swap the skill to make the (already slotted) rune active. While this does give us some extra "inventory space", it also keeps things simple.

If runes attune to a skill, and even moreso if runes have random properities, this method creates some build variability. Do you socket runes into only your 6 favorite skills, hoping for the right color and awesome affixes, but getting lots of runes to keep trying with? or do you try to make sure every skill has a (highest possibile level) rune first, possibily loosing power from your perfered skills, but gaining tactical flexability in case you come across mobs resistant to your skill choices?
Reply Quote
@Geoff: That would be my preference for a system (not having to manually swap runes every time you have to swap a skill) - I guess we'll find out over the coming weeks (hopefully) which path they've decided to traverse in this respect.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]