Diablo® III

Gems

I know that the Item list is far from being complete let alone final. However, I am just wondering if Diamonds, Sapphires and Skulls are going to make a return to the game or if its really only going to be just the four that they have up.

I myself would like to see them return. I think it would add a little more to the game and bring some more D2 feel to it.

On a side note the general design of them seems to be lacking a bit. After you get pass perfect they just start looking the same only bigger with some added lines. I guess there are only so many ways to make a gem look though. In the end these are all just really small points but I think they could help polish the game a bit.
Edited by SirZark on 9/25/2011 10:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I believe the idea behind having 4 gem types is that each corresponds to an attribute, of which there are four.

For example, amethysts are related to vitality, emeralds precision, rubies attack, and topazes defense. This can be seen on the (current) gem page:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/gem/

By this logic, I'm not sure that adding more to the game would necessarily make it better.

That said, the expansion sets will probably add new things to put in item sockets, whether they be new gems or jewel equivalents.
Reply Quote
Funny never notice that But I guess you are right...Thanks.

On a side note and I am not attacking you by any means. I really hope they would not leave out content just so they could add it to an expansion...that really just disappoints me but I could see that happening.
Reply Quote
I wouldn't worry about that :)

I don't think that it's Blizzard's style to deliberately leave content out of games so that they can put them into expansion sets. I have yet to see day 1 Blizzard DLC that costs money.

It is natural however, that an expansion set released 1 - 1.5 years after the game, will have new items. Much like Lord of Destruction added jewels and runes, I would expect that by the time the first expansion set for Diablo 3 comes about, Blizzard will have thought up some new gems or other items.
Reply Quote
Yeah that's true to i guess...I think i just really want to see them return... But time will tell that's for sure.
Reply Quote
I do hope there is a wider variety of gems than the four pictured. That seems like an unfortunate step backwards in the development of gems from D2 to D3.

Sidenote: I do approve of the change in the geometry of the gem cuts, on the other hand. The ridiculously unreleastic star cuts in the first iteration released to the community bothered me on a fundamental level.
Edited by CPsloStudent on 9/26/2011 2:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It's also worth noting that, the possibilities of the runes are mind-boggling compared to the effects you used to be able to get out of gems in D2. I think that's where you'll be getting the 'socket' customisation from rather than a larger collection of gems.

Though as I said - I wouldn't rule out more gems/jewels/runes in an expansion.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
FoE
I think a lot of people are also forgetting about enchantments, which seem to (at least partially) take the place of many of the old gem effects. Instead of socketing a ruby into your axe to add fire dmg, you will instead be going to the mystic and having them enchant it with fire. The end result is the same, but it looks like something was lost when you only look at the gems.
Reply Quote
I hope they experiment with the rainbow facet idea of a gem....if that made sense....I liked having them on my characters.

-EDTAkiller
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
Using just the four gems is good because it is going to take hella long to get the maxed out gems for these. We don't want as many gems because it will take way longer to get the final product, that is, the level 14 gem.
Reply Quote
09/26/2011 10:57 PMPosted by Rockncox
Using just the four gems is good because it is going to take hella long to get the maxed out gems for these. We don't want as many gems because it will take way longer to get the final product, that is, the level 14 gem.

This is like saying, "Include less rare items in the game. Then it is easier for us to get all of good ones." I highly disagree with this opinion.
Reply Quote
callin it now, green gems will be most valuable
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
A good number of people must be thinking that the people who play this game are less addicted than the wow player base. Unless they make the leveling process, gem lvl process, drop rate of legendarys, and other end game tiered stuff nigh impossible to get, everyone will have a great majority of the items/gems that come in the game, because Diablo 3 does not have BOP and what not.
Reply Quote
09/27/2011 09:19 PMPosted by Sábinfigáro
A good number of people must be thinking that the people who play this game are less addicted than the wow player base. Unless they make the leveling process, gem lvl process, drop rate of legendarys, and other end game tiered stuff nigh impossible to get, everyone will have a great majority of the items/gems that come in the game, because Diablo 3 does not have BOP and what not.

I don't really want to compare D3 to D2 but I will...the drop rate for D2 was pretty low. This was most apparent in Runes that were later added to the game. The only Reason everybody had all the same items end game was due largely to duping items which as any intelligent person can see was a exploit. With that said I hope duping items will not make a return but only time will tell. Also like I said you cant really compare the two games and i am sure the drop rates will be greatly different.

I just thought it would be nice to see some additional gems instead of just four which seems lacking to be honest. Could make the Diamonds and the rest have different bonuses to different slot items. Instead of the current system that only have a different bonus to the head slot...which I feel is a little bit to wowish to start. However that is just my opinion.
Edited by SirZark on 9/27/2011 11:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]